Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Woooo new thread! Best one in a while, the curse has finally been lifted off my shoulders and passed onto you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They added a couple of really nice credit sinks. You can buy the emperor's tokens for 7.5 million, but even better is adding the old planetary armor sets to the planetary specialty vendors for 200k a piece. I've said it a million times, give the space barbie people stuff to buy and that will be the best credit sink

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

Kephis would like a word

Kephess, spell his name right you heathen

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tai posted:

If I don't want to tank/heal and just play the most OP dps class for a month or two (maybe more), what would it be?

Top 3 Average right now are Hatred, Concealment and Fury BUT parsing is not what you should be using to decide what to play, especially now that you can have two classes as a sub. Basically -

Do I want to do melee or range DPS?
Do I want to do Burst or Sustained DPS?

Should prioritize what you play. All three of the top single target specs are kinda garbage at AOE, and are all Melee which some people don't like.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tai posted:

Something to smash through the story line and enjoy the story dialogue instead of having to med/heal after every mob for a few mins. Solo those end game quest line ''heroics'' mobs (if that's doable). Dabble a bit in group stuff (operations?). Maaaaybe join a guild for some raids but have a class that is wanted. Melee or range is fine.

I'm biased but Operative or Assassin are both great. Stealth to skip past poo poo in story, and they have great DPS. Assassin has the option to tank and Operative has the option to heal. Operative is my personal favorite class because even in DPS spec they have pretty strong self heals so you can solo a lot of things easier.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Yeah bro this ain't WoW Classic.

Anyone play OG EverQuest where if you played a caster class you had to sit LITERALLY for 10-15 minutes looking at this screen after fights? Extra fun on a PvP server where you could have been jumped and not even realize someone was there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

The more I learn about EQ the happier I am to have never played it for a second

Oh come on, imagine how much fun SWTOR would be if you ran Eternity Vault, died on Soa and then had to run back through the entire zone with no gear and hope you made it to your body before it, and all your gear, disappeared. Except now you can't get into EV because it's a level 80 zone and since you died you lost 1/2 your experience and are now level 79, so you have to hope you have a second set of gear in your bank to gear you enough to go grind for 6 hours to get that XP back so you can hopefully get to your body. Oh wait, you're playing at launch? There is no bank, you have to hope another character has gear you can borrow, and the only way you can get it to them is by finding an obscure location, dropping the gear and then changing characters and hoping you find the gear before someone else does.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Also make sure you get in a guild with max XP bonus, that makes a huge difference.

You can absolutely level using only story if you count the planetary story, if you JUST want to do Class Story it gets a bit dicey but if you slip behind you can catch up just doing a couple heroics (which honestly I recommend doing anyway because you get some credits and gear upgrades)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

On rare occasions I found I had gained Light or Dark tokens without actually knowing how or why. It's kind of nice to go get a new pet for no reason.

That had to do with your alignment toggle and the ongoing Dark vs Light challenge, if "your side" was victorious (more points), everyone got a token. That system is retired now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Whizzing Wizard posted:

The Vaylin force ghost fight at the end of the eternal empire dlc is ridiculous. There's literally been nothing even approaching it anywhere else in the game. Somehow I'm expected to tank her massive damage alone with no companion. Even following a guide telling me what to do she murders me every time.
Apparently the solution is to be massively over geared, which I given I'm around lvl 70 seems like a massive ask.
I can skip it and go to the next story dlc, but this really sucks.

You can always have someone hop into your instance and help you with it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

Lucky for him it’s hella dead anyway!!

Hey I log in to craft for 30 seconds a day!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

If you've got enough stronghold unlocks (which admittedly requires some money, but not even that much by today's standards), you can comfortably get 100,000 Conquest points within half an hour or so. Give some gifts to a low-rated companion, do any repeatable mission that gives rep for something you're not maxed out on yet, complete two weeklies like CZ-198 and Ziost. If you're trying to get Conquest for a dozen alts then yeah, the increased points requirement can be a bother, but otherwise it shouldn't be particularly difficult or time-consuming.

Yeah doing one character per day really isn't that tough, it's when you're trying to do an alt army. My go to is actually Iokath these days, they changed the weekly so it can only be done in one day (6 missions down from 10), I can usually knock it and CZ out in less than 30 minutes and the rewards on Iokath are better than some of the other weeklies.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

It's not too hard to just carefully stagger stuff so that you get the rewards across 10+ characters and slowly grind towards conquest with all of them before frantically having to shove points in towards the ends, but we're still a far cry from the days of deliberately jumping off the train on Umbara over and over to reset the boss fights and farming that way.

Though farming the last boss of Nathema Conspiracy is the fastest way to go from 75-80. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

It's Iokath though. :whitewater:

I mean it's a cool setting and most of the dailies aren't that bad, but it's just such a chore to get around the place.

Also true, I've taken to doing Ossus and Onderon on my Sniper and Vanguard because the rest aren't there in the storyline yet and I quite like both those daily areas.

Really though the Iokath dailies flow pretty well, you have to do 6 and you get 8 counting the Colossus droid. And that one can be done with two people who buy rocket launchers.

2-3 get done in the instance by the first zone in, then the rest are usually in the weapons factory or the macro binoculars one which requires a small trip up north.

Then there's usually one that's either pilot a walker, mouse droid or monitor and the kills count towards one of the other missions generally.

Edit - Iokath is quicker than Ossus or Onderon for me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

At least on the Imperial side the deactivate the lasers one is absurdity easy, go into the instance with the other 1-3 dailies, click the two in the first room, exit out and reset phase, repeat. Done

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Rep side Onderon you can pretty much complete in a loop if you go right when you leave the city. There's a tiny bit of backtracking towards the end where you need to go into the middle to fight the beast riders, but it's still a pretty quick way to blast through a daily area.

Imperial Onderon can be done starting in the lower right and working counter clockwise. Just ignore the daily that takes you through the three caves. You have to do one tiny bit of backtracking near the tomb but it's right next to a QT point.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

They're useful if you've got a guild and want to help it hit goal. I tend to hit it trivially on a character I'm leveling and then just speed through the maxed ones later on.

It's also hella good credits to sell the encryptions or mats you get for hitting.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Some more details on the upcoming 7.1.1 update! It's scheduled for "Fall 2022" and will apparently signal the return of the Feast of the Prosperity Event, so I'm assuming the goal is to get it out before December at least.

The major features will be Galactic Seasons 3 and class balance changes (as I mentioned in a previous post), but interestingly it may also come with a new Cartel Market item that gives you access to the Collector's Edition vendor?

If you ask me though, the best bit by far is that you will be able to name your outfits! :getin:

Yeah named outfits is really a huge QoL.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Tired of posting on a dead forum? How about posting on another dead but at least technologically up-to-date forum?? Why not go to the renewed SWTOR forums !!

In marginally more interesting news, the screenshot contest returns. Take a screenshot of a nice place in the game and maybe the devs will turn it into an official decoration. See the link for all the rules and whether you're even allowed to participate (for whatever reason, if you happen to live anywhere in South/Middle America, Africa or Asia you're most likely sorely out of luck).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Welp, there goes my plan to login and get the season 2 companion before season 3 dropped. Oh well!

I mean, you missed that boat months ago when GS2 ended

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

wazu posted:

So...there is a Jedi Shadow ability where a bunch of rocks float and circle around the waist of the Jedi. It's something in the ability tree of one of them that has to be selected, kinda high in the tree. But it looks awesome. I think it's some kind of buff ability. Anybody know what that is?

Kinetic Ward in the Kinetic Combat tree, the tank spec. It boosts your Shield %.

Baron von der Loon posted:

Just to see if I understand the concept correctly: Galactic Seasons is essentially a valid excuse to redo all different kinds of content and earn gear along the way? I've been meaning to have a good excuse to play some more with my main character, and this could hold my interest to pick him up again.

Yep it's a battle pass system to get people to do various types of content. But don't worry you'll still see people bitching that they're FORCED to do content they don't want to.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Just so you know, the gear you can get through GS is purely cosmetic. However, you can earn both items unique to whichever iteration of GS's going on (some of which are really really nice) and a bunch of free Cartel Market packs. And also up to 2000 Cartel Coins for you to spend on yet more CM stuff. And also several GS-unique mounts. And tokens that you can spend at two vendors on the fleet, one of whom has a rotating stock of items and unlocks that are otherwise no longer available anymore. If you're a bit methodical about it, you can get all the rewards by spending just a few hours playing each week for the next few months.

Today was the first day I've logged on since GS started, I did all 7 weekly objectives in around 2-3 hours, and that was a lot of exploring. It's really not hard to do (just doing the daily 25k Conquest points is simple, especially if you have reputation tokens to use - build up a stack of 5 of them, one per day and that's 25k points.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

its all nice on rice posted:

I'm considering coming back to casually play. I originally played at launch, and have come back on and off over the years. I was working my way through the different stories in order to max out the buffs for my main characters. Is it worth finishing the stories outside of just the content now that classes aren't a thing?
If I've had a Dark V character, will I able able to just log in, select my knight and give him lightning and other inquisitor powers?

Classes are still a thing. You'll be able to create a Knight, but you don't pick and choose abilities. You'll be able to make that Knight a Sorcerer if you like lightning, but you won't be able to, say, Force Leap like the old days as those are Guardian/Sentinel skills

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/swtorista/status/1589702214389751809?s=20&t=gm30RJOfgkKvgOVfg9NdzQ

Might want to link this in the OP Sombrerotron. These are pretty decent "Just playing the game" guides that don't go too much into endgame stuff or optimizing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Magmarashi posted:

"Just basic farting around builds" are all I ever want when I go looking for guides, this owns

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah that's a great idea. Even at its peak, Dulfy was....not easy to read if you were a newbie, this is a good idea (as long as they get updated)

Swtorista does a lot of really good guides that aren't as tied to endgame hardcore players like Vulkk or Dulfy back in the day. She has way more drive to do poo poo for SWTOR than I ever have.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/swtorista/status/1590432557208076288?s=20&t=2V-oCYEkcoyy-D75E7ftNw

Wow, Ranked PvP going away entirely. PvP becoming more like Galactic Seasons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

When it happens to me I just jam on both mouse buttons a couple times and it seems to fix it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Got around to logging in again to try grab stuff from the anniversary vendor. After the initial shock of "where are my quickbars gone?" followed by "why are there so many gaps?" the next question on my mind is "why does middle clicking now activate Take Cover?" :psyduck:

Sounds like you lost your key binds. Those are stored locally so if you ever uninstalled or moved to steam you had to manually back them up and copy them

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

jokes posted:

Basically I just want to use the Sith animations or use a lightsaber to do the trooper/smuggler storylines but it seems that is Not Allowed.

Yeah it wouldn't make a lot of sense for a Sniper to use Force Lightning in a cut scene, or an Assassin to pull out a rifle

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

For people that like grinding despite doing no difficult content, you'll be happy to learn that max gear score for Conquest/Flashpoints/Ops gear is going up so you can be BiS when you do your CZ-198 dailies.

I say this as someone that has yet to even think of touching the new raid and barely plays

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

More info on the PvP revamp that's coming next week

Queues are gonna run red with blood with 8 man premades heh

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kedo posted:

Hi thread! I'm finally, finally getting back into this game because I finally, finally found a solution for my "mouse speed is too fast" issue. I last played at launch, 3000 years ago, so I'm basically a newbie again.

A question. In other MMOs I tend to enjoy classes that have the following attributes:

Must haves
- High mobility
- High melee DPS
- Lots of survivability tools
- Not awful in PvP

Nice to haves
- Buffs I can cast on others w/o being in a group
- Good to great AoE abilities

Basically, I'm looking for a WoW druid. I like being self-sufficient because I have limited playtime and I end up spending a lot of time doing solo content. With a druid in WoW I liked how I could often solo group quests due to having a varied kit that offered high survivability. At the same time, I don't really want to sacrifice DPS or mobility because I get bored easily and like to blitz around the map at mach 10 wrecking stuff.

What class/adv class might scratch this itch? I rolled a Sentinel last night, but I'm not sure if there's a better match out there. Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Sentinel/Marauder is what I'd probably recommend. You're not going to really see buffs you can cast on other people, that isn't really a thing in SWTOR anymore (you used to have class buffs you cast, but that's just a passive now).

Watchman Sentinel is high DPS and has great group utility - a raid 5% damage buff, along with a burst of regen healing for the entire group once every 30s or so.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

New blaster pistol looks awesome, it has a rad sound effect and a little cartridge is ejected after each skill use

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pistol is called Provenance, rifle version is called Causality

Hopefully you mean "new to you" since both those are a few years old. :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnhp6qwnfE

Did you guys know if you drop the Galactic Party Bomb down before a cutscene starts it stays in the cutscene? Can lead to some hilarious dark comedy

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

So with the new classless system can I finally actually use my Lightsaber as a Jedi Sage?

I love my Cathar Jedi Consular but man would I love to have some Jedi guardian lightsaber moves so I can throw huge rocks and then hack away in style.

A sage is still a sage. You can choose the Guardian combat style with the Consular story, but your actual combat style isn't any different than it was before. You'd be able to throw rocks as a Sage, or use your lightsaber as a Guardian but no mixing and matching (balancing for that would be a nightmare in a MMORPG)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah, Sith Warrior is (in my opinion) the best "reverse" story to play. But don't just hammer LS choices, alternate between them in a way that fits the narrative you want to play.

It's funny because Sith Warrior has one of the funniest LS/DS combos in the game. When you find Jaessa's parents on Tattooine you're faced with the decision to Kill Them (DS)/Spare them (LS). Get them LS points, but then immediately after "What should we do with them?" "Let them go (LS)/Send them to DK to be tortured (DS)". I haven't played it in a bit but that one used to be like 250-300 DS points where normal LS/DS choices were 50.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shard posted:

So I finally watched a video about how to make credits. I really like Star Wars Academy videos. Explains things as if I were a 5 year old which is what I need. So I found out I was sitting on like 7k of tech frags and now long story short I have 150M credits.

Yeah Swtorista makes good videos. I don't get how she has the time to spend that she does on SWTOR stuff. I've helped her make a few guides and videos and I get worn out just doing a couple things.

I also feel bad because she has to deal with the extra fun of being a girl on the Internet. We hung out a bit at the Star Wars Celebration cantina in Chicago and she told me some stories hooo boy.

I also got to meet Non-entity there and that's when our love became real

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Whoops. I don't think I actually put it inside the tag myself, but I should've checked before hitting Submit Reply.

Yes this is Something Awful not Reddit, we expect a higher quality of grammar you neanderthal

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Although I found the idea of the Dashade silly I did enjoy using him to threaten people with being eaten.

How dare you speak ill of Khem Val. He's the best, and has the best romance in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

i do not want to gently caress Khem Val

He will consume you little Sith