Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

There's a line by Charlton Heston's character in True Lies: "So far, this is not blowing my skirt up." He definitely did not play SWTOR. Not only because it wasn't invented yet, but because in SWTOR if you wear robes of any kind everything blows your skirt up. Always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Anybody aware of goons on Satele Shan? Saw a guy last night flying a <The Goon Squad> tag imp side. Sent a tell asking if they were from SA but didn’t hear back.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

So...there is a Jedi Shadow ability where a bunch of rocks float and circle around the waist of the Jedi. It's something in the ability tree of one of them that has to be selected, kinda high in the tree. But it looks awesome. I think it's some kind of buff ability. Anybody know what that is?

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Thanks, fellas. I'm going to have to learn how to tank now just so I can use Kinetic Ward all the time.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Cythereal posted:

The non-Force classes are interchangeable, you can play a Trooper, Smuggler, Agent, or Bounty Hunter doing any of those four stories.

The glowstick brigade is segregated into their own side of things, and by faction/alignment. The two Jedi can do each others' stories, and the two Sith. Except if you get a Jedi to max Dark Side points you can change mid-game to a Sith class (you're still on the Republic side), or if you get a Sith to max Light Side points you can change mid-game to a Jedi.

For Sith/Jedi - I'm assuming you mean that once they get max dark/light, they can select a second class for that character, correct? Because they can't actually replace their original chosen class. Also should add - if you have any character on your legacy that has gotten full dark, then you can select a sith class for Jedi story (and vice versa).

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Ossipago posted:

It's nice when devs get to feature their kid's art in the game.

This is fair. What in the world is going on in this pic?! Does Shae now lightsaber fight but use a dagger instead? And her arch nemesis uses some kind of polearm thing? And this is the fight of the century that my sith follows Shae around to see to it's fruition? Still, I appreciate they are putting effort and content into the game. I'd be playing it either way.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

New blaster pistol looks awesome, it has a rad sound effect and a little cartridge is ejected after each skill use

What is this magical item called?

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

I've never played Consular before but I'm kind of vibing with the storyline. Jedi Investigation is neat. Just got Theran who is kinda weird but I will not kink shame somebody for their holo-girlfriend. And he's not Doc, so that's nice.

Theron is hilarious. Use him as your companion if you haven’t. His “stun/sleep” animation is the holo girl dancing which hypnotizes people.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Is SWTOR not considered an "Open World" game? Just keep seeing Star Wars Outlaws claiming it will be the first. Not sure what the term means if SWTOR doesn't qualify.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Motherfucker

Same.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

SoUr posted:

Just getting back into this game, mostly working on alts. What's a good guild to join on the Imperial side on the Star Forge server? Looking for something casual, no RP.

I'm not sure what a "good" guild to join is, but if you want in the Goon guild just to get all the guild perks I can invite Imp side. Casual is all we do. Sometimes you'll see another guildie online and it's kinda cool.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

So now that I'm 80 and finally played enough GSF to have decent gear I just started trying to re-learn to do regular PvP. Holy poo poo, this game basically requires me to get a master's degree in SWTOR to be at all competitive, and I'm not sure that will be enough even if I devote my life to it. I feel like I need 2 more arms and a couple of different keyboards, plus a few hours spent mapping keybindings and overhauling UI to optimize my brain function/eye-hand coordination and merely accomplish what is recommended in the basic YouTube videos.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

Nah don't over think it. At most I'd recommend following Swtorista's guide to level 80 gearing.

https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-level-80-gearing-guide/

From there maybe spend a little time understanding your abilities and what they do, especially your defensive abilities. At that point you'll be better than 75% of the level 80 players.

Can always pop in discord and ask for tips too. What combat style are you using?

Immortal Jugg. Had been doing rage, but decided to switch. I was doing decent in battlegrounds, but just felt like I got embarrassed repeatedly in arenas. I did use SWTORista's guide to get gear to a basically acceptable level. I do think one thing I need to improve my focus on defensive abilities. Now that I'm playing a tank trying to figure out an approach to mixing in Guard will be added to that.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

First of all I recommend an MMO mouse...I've used several and the Corsair Scimitar is my favorite.

This is my set-up and what I always recommend to people looking to get into NiM raiding or top-tier PvP...

A couple of things here, first the vertical hotbar is my basic rotation. It's right in your face and easy to keep track of. Pretty much every single spec in ToR is priority based so this hotbar goes from most to least priority. For example this is a Lethality Operative and in PvP keeping your Probes up is priority #1 so that's the first button. Apart from keeping your dots up, Toxic Blast uptime is the most important so that's second. I don't have dots on this bar cause they have no CD, your watching your opponents debuff bar not your hotbar for when you need to recast. The last 3 buttons (R, F, C) are offensive utilities, heals, and taunts.

The other main point here is that I always map similar abilities to the same slot across multiple characters i.e. my interrupt is always X, my trinket is always Z, any gap closers (Force Speed, Exfiltration, etc) are =. DCD's always start with Shift+7 and go to Shift+= based on the priority in which they should be used.

You've only got so many buttons so don't waste hotkeys on abilities that don't need to be hotkeyed like stims, the fleet travel button, and Sprint.

It's all about muscle memory...time spent thinking is time spent dying. Also remember the golden rule ABC, always be casting. APM is just as important as your rotation, if nothing else just spam your basic attack.

PvP is about situational awareness...zoom your camera out so you can see as much of the action as you can. Make your teammate that is guarding your off-node your focus target so you know when they're in combat or mezzed. Relying on chat to know where you need to be is for losers. Respond to situations (i.e. use DCD's or rotate to another node or click on bombs/consoles) <before> the situation happens, for example a Sorc who bubbles at 5% health is basically dead whereas a Sorc who bubbles at 90% as soon as they become the focus has options.

The best way to learn to beat a spec is to play that spec yourself.

Queue dodge if you need to...if there are premades or really bad players ruining your good time put them on your friends list if possible and don't queue unless they're in a WZ and/or Arena.

Thanks. Like the vertical hotbar and will give it a try. Will see if I can dig out the MMO mouse I had tried at one point. I didn't love it the last go-round, but I know people use them with great success. My redeeming ability is that I do adhere to the ABC concept so a lot of stuff being spammed at people. In the heat of battle though I have never really paid attention to the cooldowns on my opponents for abilities I've hit them with, so that's another thing to figure out.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

Tanks in PVP are a tricky thing. You have two options. True tanking is gearing appropriately with defensive and mitigation stats. You won't be doing much damage, but your goal in regular warzones is to protect nodes and guard swapping to keep your team alive.

Skank Tank is tank spec but using DPS mods with a shield. Immortal can do some brutal AOE damage. You won't have the same level of tankiness but you'll stay alive longer than Vengeance.

For defensive abilities the key is knowing what type of damage they protect against and when to use them. This is an older post but it's still applicable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comm...1&utm_content=1

Thanks. Yeah skank tank was my intention. I got the DPS pvp gear before switching over. I'm using a focus still rather than a shield. I do have some AOE abilities that I spam during cooldown waits, but didn't realize this was a strength I should lean on.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Shard posted:

So I started my sith warrior and was planning on doing a lot side run romancing dark side jaesa. I didn't realize I had to be dark side when I get to get to do this.

Since I'm a freak I made a new sith warrior and plan to do dark options until I get to her and then go light because I'm a freak lol

I really like the way my toon came out. He's got Anakin's costume but is bald a white skinned alien. Looks like what Anakin might have aged to look like eventually.

And as always I'm rocking that half faced mask

Yeah if you’re even 1% dark side that’s good enough to turn Jaesa. So you can still make many light side decisions, just gotta balance it out. I find I can almost just follow my own wishes to get there.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Had to start a bunch of new toons on new server today. So many beautiful names. Names. NAMES!!!!!

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

I played for a few hours on it. Fuckin people already hoarding names and offering to sell them for real money. Unreal.

Yikes, not doing that. Just getting all my regulars, and a few I haven't gotten before. Need 8 good ones if I'm gonna get all those legacy perks. Enjoy levelling up characters on SWTOR more than any other MMORPG for whatever reason.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

I'm sure I just missed the update, but this past weekend I jumped on and played some of a new Sith Warrior story. Was pleasantly surprised to see some of the old Korriban quests that had been eliminated were back. (I got to feed Seh-run again.)

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

They weren't removed, but exploration missions were hidden by default for a while, now they're back to being on by default

Interesting. I thought I had gone so far as to click on some of the quest givers and got nothing.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

After being away from the game for awhile, I'm excited to see these "Blueprint Fragments" showing up as rewards for stuff. I always felt this game needed more currencies.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

Good news! It's not a currency, just a junk event item you sell to vendors. The lore being that you're reading them as you get them to gather more knowledge on your Copero stronghold

Even better, thank you! I’m more addicted than ever now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

I am not completely sure which Goon guild I was in at launch. I remember SFD having a great brand and presence here, but they were Republic and I think PvE, so I joined whatever the main Imp PvP guild was at the time, which I thought was just "Goon Squad" but could be wrong. It was the only real raiding I've ever done with SWTOR. Bunch of smart and patient Goons told me exactly where to stand, what to do, and when. Good times.