Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

The more I learn about EQ the happier I am to have never played it for a second

Everquest is up there with Eve as one of those games I enjoy hearing stories about, but have no desire to ever play. Playing World War II Online at launch was my personal lovely game nostalgia, I had no room for others (one of my fondest memories was riding in a truck for like an hour with a bunch of randos to make a surprise attack behind enemy lines; eventually the driver flipped the truck and we had to walk, until eventually we got strafed by an airplane before we could even fire a shot--every other memory of the game is worse than this one)

Also echoing the advice in the thread that for solo content at least, everything is a faceroll and you should just play whatever class sounds fun to you. Group content (especially operations, which are the raids) might be a different story, I haven't played it in several expansions, but they've very much catered the solo experience to the casual crowd so don't sweat your choices too much. They've even made a lot of the flashpoints (this game's version of dungeons) soloable with an invincible AI robot companion, so you can see quite a lot of the game's content before you start running into any real difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Unless they've changed the XP turning since I last played (just after KOTET), you're not quite going to be able to get there with purely class quests alone, I had to supplement the XP a bit with heroics etc to fill in some gaps. But it's not too bad, and the game gives you a lot of good options for quick grinding. Heroics and planetary quests are quick and easy, and if you're doing the interstitial flashpoints along the way (esseles/black talon, etc) that'll speed you along too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This is the way

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah that's a great idea. Even at its peak, Dulfy was....not easy to read if you were a newbie, this is a good idea (as long as they get updated)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

or a Force-user that uses a gun in their offhand

agreed, give me that kyle katarn poo poo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

howe_sam posted:

I will say I've enjoyed the female inquisitor VA a lot more than what I've heard of the male.

They're both good imo.

Dark Side inquisitor is kind of your typical chaotic evil, mustache twirling cackling villain who hurts people because they think it's funny (but also to achieve UNLIMITED POWAAAHHH). It's a difficult thing to write well but I enjoyed in SWTOR, it sufficiently leans into it hard enough and shoots the moon to the point where it is actually kinda funny. It's not the best story in the game but it's a fun way to blow off steam.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 18, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sith Megami Tensei

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i'm very glad they've made it possible to do any of the force/tech user specs on any character. when i play my smuggler is very satisfying to play with the sniper abilities. I know that there is a mirror'd spec for smuggler but it feels much more satisfying to do it with a big gun

I'm kind of tempted to play a sniper trooper, but I've already played that story twice and don't really want to do it again. But I like knowing that I can now

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yep! Sadly the same isn't true with Commandos, they can't use blaster rifles in outfitter, but that's because some of their abilities require an assault cannon, whereas all sniper abilities can be done with a blaster rifle.

There was a period that I think got patched out where you technically could play commando with a blaster rifle, you just did something like 25% less damage (and maybe there were some abilities you couldn't use, I can't remember, but none that you really needed to beat the solo content). Obviously a rude thing to do if you're trying to dps group stuff but solo content was easy enough to do if you had too much free time and valued aesthetics over performance

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I could've sworn there was a period where you could use hail of bolts with a blaster rifle, because I definitely played commando that way and remembered thinking that the animation looked cooler than with an assault cannon. That's the channeled rapid fire ability, right? Maybe I'm just getting the ability names mixed up.

grah posted:

Yeah in 6.x I would frequently commando heal with a blaster rifle because I was too lazy to move augs every time someone wanted to do a pubsie raid. It didn't really impair them at all.

But yeah that's how I found out about it, I did a flashpoint with a commando healer with a blaster rifle and questioned their choices and received an education. Seems like it matters less for healers, but probably a rude thing to do if you're dpsing

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 30, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

big fan of those tusken muskets, urge to roll a sniper trooper is rising

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

four words: high stakes slot machines

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shard posted:

If you ever see a Merc named Jai in pvp that's me. I also like to try to keep my pvp chat light. I've kinda taken it on me to keep the toxicity down. I can't stand folks who lose and then go man this entire team sucks. I've been told to kill myself at one point. And they yell at anyone with gear under 324. And I'm just like dude did you even try to explain it? Also it's just a loving game why are you so mad

i once had someone find me on fleet chat after a match and say "get some gear old man, and gently caress your legendary title" as though either of those were a source of pride for me, or as if i weren't standing in front of the pvp gear vendor at the time (i was)

turning off chat helps but every now and then someone actually uses it to call out objectives but then again if you're playing unranked and you care if you win or lose, you have already lost

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sombrerotron posted:

While we wait for the servers to come back online (which apparently might take a little while yet), here's the full nitty-gritty on Galactic Seasons 4. Get a load of this flippin' paintjob:

:getin: to my fly as heck car

I didn't know swtor was doing an F-zero crossover event

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Preechr posted:

I just want my sorcerer to use the old tracer missile animation. Is that so much to ask?!

with very little tweaking, the sorcerer could be made to fart lightning

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My move is to just block them so the message changes to something like “[player] spits on thin air” or whatever the message is. I once had some edgelords slap me 100 times for suboptimal play in kuat drive yards and it was fun to watch them miss suddenly

Not as fun as playing with normal people but you opt out of that when you play swtor with randos

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And if horny for the republic counts, there’s swtor

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dark side trooper and bounty hunter on Alderaan is some of the most id-driven fun you can have in this game

So many snooty aristocrats with unbroken noses…

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

gritty The Wire-caliber show about Elan Sleazebaggano and the death stick gangs of coruscant please

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I still can’t believe they got Nolan north and David hayter for a game that had a puckish rogue and a legendary soldier in it and then made them jedi

Maybe they didn’t want to be typecast or something

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

I want to use my own alts as companions

If they're going to let us assign their relationships as part of our legacies (can you still do this? could you ever do this? am i dreaming?) it's the least they could do

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Spudd posted:

I was bummed but seeing a few posts in here with a positive reaction is nice. Really gotta stop just reading reddit for opinions nowadays especially for anything star wars related.

:same:

Whenever something like this happens my first reaction is "hospice care :(" but hearing contrary from people who actually know what they're talking about is relieving

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shard posted:

In regards to the story they should do another time skip. Maybe another secret empire lol

your empire has been usurped and you need to become emperor again (so you can go back to grinding flashpoints and heroics)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I liked the male's VA well enough, he had a nice mustache twirling delivery for the dark side options anyway.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That's pretty cool to hear though; it's also heartening to hear that folks are happy with the new ownership, it seems like the business of video games has been moving hard in the direction of misery these days

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is it because of the credit cap if you aren't subscribed? You can only hold so many credits at a time as a f2p/premium player (the rest are held in escrow that you can draw from when you go below the cap), though I'd hope that would be communicated in a way that doesn't make it feel like you've gone bankrupt the first time you log in after a long break.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

meet me at the meat tree in the next 15 minutes for an rear end clicking

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I still haven’t played past kotet and was initially a little bummed that I spoiled myself about that character, but it sounds like there’s not much to spoil yet so I guess I still have time

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shard posted:

my only issue with playing pvp is that a lot of folks are very salty about you being not as experienced as them. like dang im sorry i just got to level 80 and didn't even know about that pvp vendor or the tactical stuff.

Someone once tracked me down in the fleet after a match (unranked, solo queue) to harass me for having bad gear (I was at the pvp vendor at the time)

I guess when you only have one thing going well for you in life you have to make a meal out of it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bounty hunter isn’t a great story but it is the best class to play on Alderaan

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

Gonna log in and change the name to "Gone Squad" to more accurately reflect the membership.

There's No Goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Worf posted:

i kinda want to test this out just to see how insanely fast you level since you already level insanely fast

I think with double xp you could probably just literally do the story missions and nothing else.

I feel like people say you can already do that but I feel like I’ve been underleveled whenever I try and end up doing the heroics on a planet too