Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

JnnyThndrs posted:

I love Spiritualized but never was able to see them live. Half the people I know who saw the in person said it was life-changingly fantastic, but several other people described a similar experience as the one you had. I REALLY want to see Spacemen 3 live, but the ship sailed long ago on that one.

I saw them at Radio City play Ladies and Gentlemen front to back with a full choir and orchestra and poo poo and it was unreal. I saw them in Philly a few years later and it was just OK.

This was the radio city show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk14D6Wkrvs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Yeah that's extremely disappointing about spiritualized but I'm not surprised. Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating in space is still a hell of an album tho

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
My worst was an Architecture In Helsinki show in amherst ma, like 15 years ago. The venue totally hosed up the sound including the stage monitors, which were hosed up in some awful way that was making it nearly impossible to play. One person in the band quit playing on stage and walked out. The rest of them kept going and kinda turned their set into punk covers of their own music. But they quit after less than an hour. No refunds.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
Best:

Tie between Brian Jonestown Massacre and Pusha T

Like 5 songs into the Push show some idiot threw beer on him and he went off stage, only to return a few minutes later with half a dozen enormous dudes toting 2x4's

BJM played for a good 2 1/2 hours without a break. How Anton is still alive after all this time baffles me.

Worst:

Tool on the Lateralus tour, like a week after 9/11. I hadn't listened to the album that much and didn't realize what a departure it was from their early poo poo. I'd gone to see Maynard and the rest go apeshit on stage, instead it was like some prog rock bullshit for an hour.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I guess I’m the only one who’s ever seen a good Tool show? Yeah Maynard just kind of stands there but the video stuff was intense. Also there was this dude there who was easily in his 60’s and he was rocking out having the time of his life :3:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

surf rock posted:

Best:

- Neutral Milk Hotel: I caught them during the 2014 tour and it was like a goddamn religious experience. It honestly wasn't the best performance, but it was fun and the crowd was so into it that it didn't matter. I listened to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea from start to finish and halfway through again literally every school day for two straight years while riding on the bus, and this concert was something I thought I'd never get to experience.

- Hop Along: My current favorite band has come through town twice since I moved here, and both shows have been electric in little venues. I even got to meet Frances Quinlan after the first show, which was super cool.

I'm jealous of both of these. I didn't start listening to Neutral Milk Hotel until only a few years ago. I bought two tickets to see Hop Along a couple of years back at Hard Luck in Toronto but I don't know anyone who listens to them and I didn't feel like doing the drive to Toronto alone.

I think the show I had the most fun at was Black Tiger Sex Machine. I was drunk off my goad and danced my rear end off.
Worst was probably CHVRCHES. Like the show was great, but I had a massive headache and their light show was intense.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Best: Pearl Jam on their Yield tour in Minneapolis. It was at the not great for concerts Target Center, but I was in the 2nd row and paid like $25 thru their fan club. Eddie pointed at me :3:

Worst: The second time I saw Urge Overkill at First Ave. No one came so it was sad.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Saalkin posted:

I bought two tickets to see Hop Along a couple of years back at Hard Luck in Toronto but I don't know anyone who listens to them and I didn't feel like doing the drive to Toronto alone.

That sucks. :smith: As you might imagine, basically the only topic of conversation happening at either show was holy poo poo, Frances Quinlan's voice is crazy.

Neutral Milk Hotel was the only band I've ever travelled out-of-state to see; that was a six-hour drive each way. Worth it, though. This thread inspired me to make a list of bands I've seen in concert, in order (except those I've seen multiple times). My first concert, Billy Joel, was eight years ago.

Billy Joel - B+
Neutral Milk Hotel - A+
The Mountain Goats (x2) - B
Hop Along (x2) - A
Speedy Ortiz - B-
Lupe Fiasco - C
Manchester Orchestra - B-
Vampire Weekend - C+
of Montreal - B
Iron & Wine (x2) - A-
Calexico - B-
Modest Mouse - D
Dermot Kennedy - B
Phoebe Bridgers - B
José González - B+
Rufus Wainwright - C+
X Ambassadors - A-
Andy McKee - B+
Tommy Emmanuel - A+
Elton John - A-
Kaleo - C
Andrew Bird - C

I added grades for each of them in the spirit of the thread. Coming up next are Cass McCombs and Soccer Mommy.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 8, 2022

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Saalkin posted:

I bought two tickets to see Hop Along a couple of years back at Hard Luck in Toronto but I don't know anyone who listens to them and I didn't feel like doing the drive to Toronto alone.

I can sympathise, it’s been 4 years since I last saw anything, my regular gig buddies both moved out of town plus I hosed my back up so nights out tended to cause pain for days after. Ended up writing off a couple of tickets for Ladytron a few years back, would have loved to see them but no one else was nearby or into them and really didn’t feel like going alone.

Throw in all the Covid and other poo poo and it feels like a lifetime since I saw anyone play. But my back’s better these days so I’ve finally bought some tickets to see some new acts in Oct/Nov, get back on the horse, etc. Really missed it.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I miss going to gigs. What I love especially are small festivals. The only two I've been to are Retro Future Fest in London in 2019 and Hotline Bristol back in June. Both excellent small-ish synthwave festivals with such a great atmosphere where everyone kinda knows each other from similar gigs and festivals.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I saw them at Radio City play Ladies and Gentlemen front to back with a full choir and orchestra and poo poo and it was unreal.

This was the radio city show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk14D6Wkrvs

I’m so loving jealous, Ladies and Gentlemen has been in my top-10 favorite album list for almost 25 years. I’d never heard of Spiritualized and bought that album because of the 60’s style cover. After one listen, I just put that fucker on repeat for the rest of the day.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

This year I've seen

Crywank
Leprous
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
The Crystal Method
Symphony X & Haken
The Darkness

The local Blues Fest to see Five Alarm Funk yesterday.

Got a few more planned but not a bad amount for the year thus far. Glad to be able to see poo poo live again.

Edit: gently caress and Future Islands. I can't believe I forgot about that one. That show was amazing. Such amazing energy.

Saalkin fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 8, 2022

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Actually I think my favorite concert was Jonathan Richman at a little bar. It was a small, intimate venue and I was right by the stage and it was just chill and pleasant and I had a nice time :unsmith:

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Saalkin posted:

Worst was probably CHVRCHES. Like the show was great, but I had a massive headache and their light show was intense.

That’s unfortunate to hear. I thought about going to see them on their first tour when they were just getting big, but the closest venue to me was the former Bally’s in Reno… not my idea of a good time. Their live sets on YouTube seem like they have a lot of energy.

The next concert in my area I’m considering is Lukas Nelson, anybody seen his band live?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

surf rock posted:

I added grades for each of them in the spirit of the thread. Coming up next are Cass McCombs and Soccer Mommy.

Soccer Mommy was great when I saw them, enjoy!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

best:

zakir hussein at de anza college, late 90's

david byrne at some big theatre in boston, during a tour when he mostly played stuff from my life in the bush of ghosts

nine inch nails at the san jose event center, downward spiral tour

biosphere at recombinant media lab in san francisco (rip) [the venue not biosphere], mid 2000's era

king crimson at the greek theatre, berkeley ca, thrak tour

dead can dance at the greek theatre, berkeley ca, spiritchaser tour

bauhaus at coachella, 2006

black tape for a blue girl, love spirals downwards, and faith and the muse at projekt fest in la, 1998

diamanda galas, byron theatre, pittsburgh pa 1998ish (i performed at this same venue myself nearly 20 years later, and the sound guy that night had been there that entire time, and worked that diamanda galas show; it was burned into his memory just as much as mine)

mamadou kelly at zebulon, la 2018

worst:

underworld at the fox theatre oakland ca (i love underworld, but the mixing was terrible and the crowd were awful)

cluster at some place in sf i think great american music hall? (again, i love the artist but this show was ruined by the crowd, who talked so loudly that the band were completely inaudible)

james blake some place in brooklyn (decent artist, even worse crowd that the above two)

weezer at coachella, 2006 (i hate weezer)

metallica, on a flatbed truck, some kind of event hosted by 92.3 KSJO in a tower records parking lot, black album era (it sounded like poo poo)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 8, 2022

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I saw Metallica shortly before Jason left, and while they were pretty good I think it got Metallica out of my system

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

I saw them when Big Business was officially part of the band and it was :discourse:

gently caress, I just bought A Senile Animal on vinyl. I love that lineup

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Earwicker posted:

underworld at the fox theatre oakland ca (i love underworld, but the mixing was terrible and the crowd were awful)

cluster at some place in sf i think great american music hall? (again, i love the artist but this show was ruined by the crowd, who talked so loudly that the band were completely inaudible)

james blake some place in brooklyn (decent artist, even worse crowd that the above two)

I hate when a lovely crowd ruins an otherwise good gig. I went to see Colin Stetson once in the Triskel in Cork. He was one of the bigger acts as part of the local jazz festival. Says it all really; almost everyone in the crowd was there to drink and be annoying shitheads, talking over the whole performance.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Cat Power on two consecutive nights (worst then best)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I had a good combo best/worst in one show, it was Sleep opening for Hawkwind in 94 at the Limelight, an old church turned decadent nightclub in nyc.

Sleep was amazing, they were everything I had been hoping they’d be, and they were the reason I was there.

Hawkwind was just a noodly mess. They were goofing around and wearing fluorescent face paint, the whole thing felt embarrassing.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Saalkin posted:

I saw them in Tokyo and it was really great. They didn't have their own lighting with them though, they were just using the house lighting at Studio Coast.

GreatMrPopo
Apr 17, 2003
i love kami-sama
One of the best: Primus, on Halloween, during their Chocolate Factory tour, at the beacon theatre. Played a lot of great hits and cult favorites, as well as green nagauhyde numbers, but then played the whole chocolate factory album as a second set. Great visuals in the bg screen, too.

Worst: Del the funkee homosapien 11th hour tour, circa 2010 or so. Show started at 11pm, but we had to listen to several acts til about 1am when Del finally came on stage. He was tired, "faded" as he put it, and his performance showed this fact. But the worst aspect was listening to what felt like hours of pussy and weed music from Coughee brothaz and Devin the dude playing sets back to back right before Del.

Most surprisingly fun show: ICP circa 2003, they played at the Birchill nite club in NJ, with 2LiveCrew opening. Both performances were fun, but ICP's theatrics were truly memorable. Lots of faygo, but I was far enough to not get to doused in the stuff. i was surprised by the amount of sequin ICP uses.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bodhidharma posted:

I still really want to see The Cure

Do not sleep on this. They're touring Europe at the end of this year, and will be coming to America and the rest of the world shortly after. I've seen them about 5-6 times and they are top tier performance wise. Robert Smith and the rest sound as good as they did back waaaay back when. They haven't changed. Their shows are 3 hours long. They have encores that are about 12 songs on average. And they're all good songs!

Robert is getting.. old. See them before it's too late. The Cure is still The Cure, and it's worth every penny. It's worth travelling and spending a hotel for.

Do it.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
Best was probably Super Furry Animals in like 2005 or so? They made an unscheduled stop between scheduled gigs in my college town and like 15 people showed up. They put on a hell of a show, complete with costumes and all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNB3WWkNVhM&t=62s

Worst (but enjoyable) was Bone Thugz n' Harmony like 5 or 6 years ago. Krayzie Bone didn't show up so they just didn't do his verses. Then, after a while, Bizzy Bone's crack whore wife (?) started wandering around on stage along with what appeared to be his children.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I have not been to a ton of concerts so small pool to draw from, anyway

Best: Yellowcard when in college. One of the first concerts I’d been too and had a lot of fun.

Worst: Weird Al, I was bummed as I’d been looking forward to it since a buddy had seen him at a state fair and said it was unbelievably good and Al had been killing it on Comedy Bang Bang. Intro act was an orchestra playing the Star Wars theme. I thought oh man here we go, halfway through Al’s gonna run out with an accordion and this will become a polka, or maybe he’s already on stage disguised as the tuba player. Uh no, just the Star Wars theme. Then the Indiana Jones theme, and so on. Competently performed but no twists or surprises, not a good sign.

The main show felt sanitized and corporate, I thought they’d be surprise guests or sketches or something but nope just the hits you’ve heard a million times. Which he performed fine and had energy but if you’d thrown on a CD it would have been the same. Felt ultra safe like when he did the Saga Begins stormtroopers & Vader came on stage, then walked off when the song ended. Nerds like that, right?

Worried I was being a grump but talked to a coworker who’d been there and he left midway through as he was bored. Maybe it was just a bad tour? I dunno

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Snowy posted:

I had a good combo best/worst in one show, it was Sleep opening for Hawkwind in 94 at the Limelight, an old church turned decadent nightclub in nyc.

Sleep was amazing, they were everything I had been hoping they’d be, and they were the reason I was there.

Hawkwind was just a noodly mess. They were goofing around and wearing fluorescent face paint, the whole thing felt embarrassing.

Lol I saw this tour in Madison WI and yeah Hawkwind was a mess. It was Nik Turner's "Hawkwind" offshoot; maybe Dave Brock's Hawkwind would be better but without Lemmy and Stacia I doubt it.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Best:

Beat Happening about a week after I turned 18. They were on the verge of breaking up and they were one of those 'lo fi' bands that could barely play in time at the best of times, so the first few songs were unbelievably bad. Then the guitarist dropped his guitar in the middle of the song, it started just screaming feedback on the ground, and he started humping the pole they had in the middle of the stage (the old 9:30 in Washington) and spitting out the rest of the song while glaring at random people in the crowd. He caught my eye a couple of times and I had to look away each time. It was bizarre and a little scary and it felt like he was about to get violent, but they kept on and the rest of the show was pretty solid. Objectively nothing special but it blew my sheltered adolescent mind.

Yo La Tengo, the Sun Ra Arkestra, and some twee British band I forget in early 2003. It was just a really solid show by a few bands I liked but had never seen before. For the encore, all 20+ members of all of the acts did an epic verson of Sun Ra's "Nuclear War" which was really cathartic in the runup to Iraq.

Pansy Division, the Delta 72, and Southern Culture on the Skids circa 1997. Three very different indie bands who put on wild, energetic shows. The standout was the lead singer from Delta 72 shimmying up the pole to the balcony of the club, sang the last verse on the balcony, then jumped down into the crowd, bounced up, and finished the song. I went to tons of shows like that in that era, but that was just about the best.

Worst:

Guided by Voices on their first big tour. Just the most boring and charisma-free band I've ever seen.

This local-ish band called the Swims where 2 of the members didn't show up so they just did bad Steely Dan covers for like 10 minutes and refused to give refunds.

I went to Steely Dan a few summers ago with friends mostly because Elvis Costello was opening and I wanted to see him. We forgot that the scheduling of arena shows is different from club shows and got there when Elvis was just finishing. The Dan were fine, but it was just straightforward versions of songs I'd heard a million times before. I spent most of the evening trying to find a hot guy who cruised me in the men's room, which I think was pretty true to the seedy-70s Essence of the Dan.

In general, I don't have a lot of 'worst' shows, I always enjoy seeing live music on some level, even if it's just noise and booze. The whole indie/punk/twee scene I came up in was really accepting of sloppy performances and I try to keep to that mindset.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Actually I think my favorite concert was Jonathan Richman at a little bar. It was a small, intimate venue and I was right by the stage and it was just chill and pleasant and I had a nice time :unsmith:

I saw him circa 1997 and it was exactly the same. Plus he was wandering around the bar before the show chatting up random people and since I didn't really know what he looks like, I thought he was just a really polite homeless guy and was thinking about giving him a buck.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Best was Justice at Seoul Electronic Music Festival festival in Korea in 2012, I was dead center at the front and was nearly crushed

Worst was Protest The Hero in 2007 because they straight up never showed up to the show with no notice, just drove through and didn't cancel or refund or make any statements. They just simply didn't arrive and kept driving south.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 8, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Best: the unicorns opening for arcade fire cuz both bands played perfectly and then we met the unicorns and it was really cool

Tied for best: The Wrens playing The Meadowlands cover to cover at Maxwell's, was standing next to Will Sheff the whole time.

Worst: Cigarettes After Sex- most boring, dull, stupid show I have ever been to. Hilariously bad. I could not believe how dumb I was for buying tickets after they started playing. Not a live band. They make sleepcore music. It is not for dancing or live performances.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

surf rock posted:

Best:

- Hop Along: My current favorite band has come through town twice since I moved here, and both shows have been electric in little venues. I even got to meet Frances Quinlan after the first show, which was super cool.

I think Well Dressed is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

The Best: The Gunpoets in Ithaca NY

The Worst: I saw one republic play a concert for the launch of windows 10 at the mall in denver

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

best: Metallica in like 2000, I was close enough to the stage to get sprayed with a little james hetfield scream spit and my then best friend caught Kirk's guitar pick when he threw it into the audience. I wonder if she still has it. This was a free concert because James had been injured or something and hadn't been able to be at the previous show, so they came back a while later and did a show to make it up. Super nice of them. It really made up for having to grimace through Kid Rock performing their songs at the previous show (he didn't even perform them he'd do like a couple of lines and then segue back into his own music, awful)

ZZTop also put on a really good show, same with They Might Be Giants. Those are like my top 3.

worst: Smashing Pumpkins during either machina of god tour or machina II, I can't remember. they were in the middle of breaking up, half the band wasn't there, and they sped through all their songs. Also the venue made me take all my jewelry off, so I had to go back to the car and then get back in line. loving Bronco Bowl.

weirdest concert: the moody blues. a friend really wanted to go, a weird choice for a teenage girl who loved black metal. Everyone there just laid on blankets the whole time like it was just nap time. Their music is pretty nap inducing... The absolute thickest fog of weed I've ever been in lmao

last concert I went to was Cibo Matto. Glad I got to see them before they broke up again.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Philthy posted:

Do not sleep on this. They're touring Europe at the end of this year, and will be coming to America and the rest of the world shortly after. I've seen them about 5-6 times and they are top tier performance wise. Robert Smith and the rest sound as good as they did back waaaay back when. They haven't changed. Their shows are 3 hours long. They have encores that are about 12 songs on average. And they're all good songs!

Robert is getting.. old. See them before it's too late. The Cure is still The Cure, and it's worth every penny. It's worth travelling and spending a hotel for.

Do it.

You've convinced me to do it. I regret not even getting nosebleed seats when they last toured the US, now I'll just need to stay on top of this.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

My favourite concert was also my first; Slipknot, during their first album tour. The opening acts were both great. Kittie is an all-girl Canadian metal band, and teenage me went :swoon:
Brackish was their big single.

Next up was Dope. It was nice and heavy, and I had a blast screaming along with the crowd to their cover of gently caress The Police.

Before Slipknot came on, they played For Those About To Rock over the sound system. When the cannons went off, the force of the bass made my shirt flap around like a breeze. I loved it.

Now about the venue. This place was not much bigger than the one in the Kittie video. So there was not a lot of room on stage for nine guys with all their instruments. It was amazing. I had an awesome view of the show, and because the stage was so crowded in, I could see everything at once. Loved the whole experience.

Worst Show: The Misfits, in 2000. Same venue as where I saw Slipknot. Unfortunately, the audio was terrible, smoke machines obscured the whole stage, and the band was absolutely phoning it in.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

best: solaa at christchurch jazz fest, arcade fire at glastonbury, pixies at v fest sydney, daft punk in melbourne, dead prez in london, bad company uk at whitecliffs

worst: the killers at big day out melbourne, tool in melbourne

loving boring rear end bands with no crowd interaction. plz to be gently caress you

git apologist fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 8, 2022

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Saalkin posted:

i see them at glastonbury and they were great, perfect late afternoon marquee slot too

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Zombie Guy posted:

My favourite concert was also my first; Slipknot, during their first album tour. The opening acts were both great. Kittie is an all-girl Canadian metal band, and teenage me went :swoon:
Brackish was their big single.

Next up was Dope. It was nice and heavy, and I had a blast screaming along with the crowd to their cover of gently caress The Police.

My first concert was slipknot/kittie/will haven on their first album tour. Slipknot played the songs off their first album in order and mostly just destroyed drum sets the whole time. This came to mind first as one of my worst. But not long after I saw Mr. Bungle open for System of a Down playing their first album w/ the war paint and poo poo and it was really good. Also saw dope there w/ primer55 in that run. gently caress the police. RIP the boathouse. And every time I saw strapping young lad or gwar w/ oderus was a great time

e: I went to a sounds of the underground tour one year where they got way behind and clutch, opeth, strapping young lad, gwar all got their sets truncated to 2-3 songs :argh:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Best- was The Jesus and Mary Chain at the Sydney Opera House a few years back.

Worst - Sisters of Mercy at the Enmore a few years back, Mixing was so bad i didnt recognise a single song, but at least the 2 guitarists looked like they where having fun.