Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

pablo gbscobar posted:

I'm on my way to see Lightning Bolt tonight and this story got me insanely hyped!

How was the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Mammon Loves You posted:

Yup, seen NIN in 4 different decades, 90s, 00s, 10s, 20s

In the 90s Trent smashed about 15 guitars over the course of the show. By 2010s he was thanking the audience for coming and saying how happy he was that people still enjoyed his music.

Is there a musician who has aged as gracefully as Trent Reznor has? I don't mean his looks (though he looks great considering his age and his past) but his music and attitude towards things.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Is there a musician who has aged as gracefully as Trent Reznor has? I don't mean his looks (though he looks great considering his age and his past) but his music and attitude towards things.

devin townsend

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Worst has to be some hardcore band from Dundee I saw for some reason who started a (actually pretty justified) fight with some thrash metal dickhead you used to hang around my local scene. Just a bunch of dour kids with buzzcuts and jazzmasters against a guy who looked like he bullied the Power Rangers. Honeyblood were the most boring live band I have ever seen, but I can't really remember it.

Best is probably Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, I was a casual fan at best going in, but he made a stadium seem intimate. I saw Shellac in a small club a couple of days later and they crushed it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Brian Eno

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Disco Pope posted:

Best is probably Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, I was a casual fan at best going in, but he made a stadium seem intimate.

I was fortunate enough to go to the release of Nocturama at Bush Hall, and I sat about six feet away from him and his piano. Probably my favourite. U2 weren’t the worst, but I got dragged by a friend all the way on the other side of town, his seat was the opposite side of the stadium to mine, and the whole thing felt really impersonal; just a giant entertainment machine that pops up then reappears in some other town two days later.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

poverty goat posted:

devin townsend

I haven't listened to him since SYL when I was 16 so I'll have to give that a look

i like that album he did with David Byrne a LOT. The one with the house on the cover.

I still really like Reznor's more recent stuff. His soundtrack to Ken Burns' Vietnam War is as perfect as can be.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i like that album he did with David Byrne a LOT. The one with the house on the cover.

yea thats Everything That Happens Will Happen Today, its actually the second album they did together, the first one was like 30 years earlier called My Life In the Bush of Ghosts. its definitely more raw and experimental sounding but its also really really good, an essential album imo

most of Eno's collaborations are great. his work with Robert Fripp is some of my favorite ambient and he's done some really cool stuff with people like Jon Hassell and Karl Hyde (of Underworld) as well

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I hate going to a concert that could have been at least decent if the venue didn't suck rear end, like the one I went to on Saturday at Sovereign/Arrogant Swine in NYC.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

YeahTubaMike posted:

I hate going to a concert that could have been at least decent if the venue didn't suck rear end, like the one I went to on Saturday at Sovereign/Arrogant Swine in NYC.

Every concert at Terminal 5 is the worst concert ever.

What a lovely loving venue.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

This is why I miss but also do not miss the venue of all my first concerts, the boathouse in Norfolk, VA (RIP)

It was literally an old boathouse, made of corrugated steel, and very narrow across the front of the stage. Absolutely terrible as a music venue

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Worst is unfortunately Fountains of Wayne.

Saw them twice in different venues and the sound was crappy both times. They didn't move and barely acknowledged the crowd, and generally looked bored. One of my very favorite bands but way better in the studio.

RIP Adam Schlesinger.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Best was probably Spinal Tap on their Break Like the Wind tour. Was such a good time, funny, great music, had a weird puppet band open the show (Big Nazo or something like that). Tap was happy that the puppet show was opening for them finally.

Saw Dio and Yngwie Malmsteen together, amazing show, insane guitar work.

There used to be a Boston radio station, WBCN, that would host all-day shows called the River Rave. Those were always fantastic.

Never really saw a bad show, worst experience was when I had to go to Connecticut to see Pearl Jam (who was fighting with Ticketmaster at the time) and got pepper sprayed by security.

I went to alot of shows in the mid 90's. Saw Garbage and met Shirley Manson. A few techno concerts too, saw The Orb twice and the Crystal Method.
Saw Guns n Roses open for Aerosmith, stadium workers asked my brother, who was in a wheelchair, if we wanted to be closer to the stage. Sure! They moved us right up like 20 feet from the stage, in one of the aisles. Was amazing but we were next to the stack of amplifiers so our ears were ringing for days. Such good times.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

zakharov posted:

Worst is unfortunately Fountains of Wayne.

Saw them twice in different venues and the sound was crappy both times. They didn't move and barely acknowledged the crowd, and generally looked bored. One of my very favorite bands but way better in the studio.

RIP Adam Schlesinger.

Did they bring Stacy’s mom onstage?

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Only been to one music event so far and it was with local friends in ATL who had some weird harsh noise band. Came out to be the supportive friend but left when they started cutting/burning each other on stage.

More reasonably I'm going to see Zomboy in 2 weeks lol. I'm gonna consider that my first actual concert instead of...whatever the hell that was

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Did they bring Stacy’s mom onstage?

No but they did bring some girls up there to play shakers along with Hey Julie.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

some good shows i went to were: charlemagne palestine with oren ambarchi, venetian snares, demdike stare (in an abandoned church), mirrorring (in a freezing cold warehouse), earth (with jex thoth-era sabbath assembly as support!)

i feel dj sets fall into a different category but shoutout to paula temple, aurora halal, air max 97, and voiski

two bad shows i saw: first, the mars volta. i think this was during the period when cedric was a scientologist and also spending thousands of dollars on weed a week or something ridiculous like that. his voice was loving shot. the rest of the band sounded like a collection of very technically proficient musicians who had nevertheless never played with or even met each other before. it sucked because i was really into them at that age. second, adam ant. i've never witnessed someone having such an intense and public mid life crisis before or since

Also the aphex twin syro release party sucked, they grossly underestimated the time it would take to remove everyone's phones and get everyone inside. i heard i think the last three tracks off the album and that was it. some people didn't get in in time to hear anything at all

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Best Concert I been to was RATM and the Beastie Boys Rhyme and Reason in 2001. The amount of planning we had to do to sneak out of our hotel during our high school graduation trip to go see the concert in Toronto made it more memorable. The energy of the Beastie Boys was something I never imagined nor I think anyone could match ever again. RATM also played a lot of off album tracks like "gently caress the Police" and showing a lot of hatred to George Bush.

Worst Concert was Matthew Good this year. He looked like a Dad who is sleeping on your couch because his wife left him and he has nowhere else to go. He whined the whole time, bitched at the crowd when someone got up during his set, and still not over the fact he got #metoo from his label for being a abusive piece of poo poo. I got a free ticket but I really wanted my time back.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Good+
Fiona Apple and bluegrass band Nickel Creek toured together and played one long mashed up set. Beautiful music.

Thursday - saw them at CBGB's just before the release of WATT. The cover fee was cans of food (it was a food drive).

Green Day - saw them at a stadium in CT, Billy Joe got the whole building to standup. They sounded great, played a lot of varied stuff.

The Postal Service - at Barclays Center. Once I got to my faraway, way-off-to-the-side seat I thought "Oh no!" But they came out and killed it. Lots of great energy and they sounded amazing. Made the stadium feel small and intimate but the sound was huuuge.

Weezer - the first song they played was War Pigs.

Why? - the tour I saw them on had a perfectly fit collection of supporting performers. The additional vox+keys+percussion+other instruments really filled out the sound.

Bomb the Music Industry! farewell show.

The World Inferno Friendship Society. What a spectacle. RIP.

most punk and pop punk bands are good/great live. AFI, Rancid, Bouncing Souls, NoFX, Pennywise, Ataris, Yellowcard, The Movielife, New Found Glory, Coheed, Thrice, Cursive

Bad-

Pretty much all emo bands are/were terrrrible live. Maybe the Used being the worst--the singer was drunk and was screaming gently caress SAFE SEX into the mic. Which would probably be funny if it was a punk band doing a punk band thing but this was at a teen-filled Warped Tour and it was just embarrassing.

Maybe Taking Back Sunday in which I had to leave early because the sound was such poo poo (they got better once John Nolan rejoined the band).

Brand New sucks and have always sucked after 2003.

blink182 - Great in the 90s but I saw them in 2010 and they were boring + I aged out of a lot of their stuff + they only played The Singles and nothing else of note. (Compared to Green Day, who played their singles plus a large assortment of other songs from their early albums--very cool to hear/experience) I want to hear songs, not see Travis Barker play drums upside down. Felt like they were doing the bare minimum.

I've also worked at some small clubs/venues and every once in a while you a get an rear end in a top hat LOOK AT ME edgy teen band that plays way way waaaayyyy too loving loud and unstructured. I hate those fuckers.

Other than that, I can't really say. I ruined many shows/memories by drinking too much.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I used to go to the same eye doctor as Jack Terricloth/Peter from World Inferno. RIP

I saw them at the court tavern a bunch and they were always awesome.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TacticalHoodie posted:

Worst Concert was Matthew Good this year. He looked like a Dad who is sleeping on your couch because his wife left him and he has nowhere else to go

not music, but i saw dave foley do standup once and it was exactly the same vibe. saddest bit of standup ive ever seen.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Mammon Loves You posted:

Worst:

Godsmack, their first album tour in '98 or '99 - Low energy, boring, nothing like what they sounded like on the album. Also they had 2 styrofoam gargoyles with red LED eyes on stage that were so small it was like Stonehenge from Spinal Tap. They were covered with literal bedsheets that the roadie came over and whipped off like a big reveal that was embarrassingly lame.

I saw this too, in NYC. They toured with some band called Reville or something. And the other opening act was a circus side show? Like there was a sword swallower and there were women dancing around with X taped over their nipples and they were spitting out fire. A guy put a douche bag over his head+nose and kept inflating it til it was gigantic. Did you see this too?

kntfkr posted:

I used to go to the same eye doctor as Jack Terricloth/Peter from World Inferno. RIP

I saw them at the court tavern a bunch and they were always awesome.

Pretty sure that band never performed a mediocre show in their lives. I wish I saw them more. I swear I even saw him play a reunion show with his old band Sticks and Stones but I can't even remember where. One of these I suppose https://www.setlist.fm/search?artist=43d45773&query=sticks+and+stones

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

kntfkr posted:

Every concert at Terminal 5 is the worst concert ever.

What a lovely loving venue.

Actually I saw The Offspring -- a band I loved since I was 12, whose lead singer I named my diary after, whose guitarist I named my Tamagotchi after, whose first five albums I still know like 95% of the lyrics to -- for the first time at Terminal 5, and I caught a pick, and it was THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE :swoon:

Seriously though, that venue is awful. I've only ever gone back there to see The Offspring a second time, and I hope I never have to go back again.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

YeahTubaMike posted:

Actually I saw The Offspring -- a band I loved since I was 12, whose lead singer I named my diary after, whose guitarist I named my Tamagotchi after, whose first five albums I still know like 95% of the lyrics to -- for the first time at Terminal 5, and I caught a pick, and it was THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE :swoon:

Seriously though, that venue is awful. I've only ever gone back there to see The Offspring a second time, and I hope I never have to go back again.

I saw you comment on the Living End upthread. Did you see them when they toured with the Offspring in 1998? I swear that night changed my life. Both great live bands!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just remembered another shithole venue. Jaxx in Northern VA. A converted strip mall w/ no parking. We tried to start a mosh pit at a blind guardian show and nerds complained about it on their forums so i guess it was ok though

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ProperCoochie posted:

I saw you comment on the Living End upthread. Did you see them when they toured with the Offspring in 1998? I swear that night changed my life. Both great live bands!

No, I didn't go to my first concert until 2005. Seeing Living End with The Offspring in 1998 would have exploded my 11 year old brain though.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

YeahTubaMike posted:

that's cool.

yeah, i had one phenomenal show there and it was mogwai cuz we got there early or it wasnt sold out and we were chest first at the balcony but i swear to god 80% of the floor in that place is obstructed views and the staff is just bitches. bad vibe. i hate when bands i like play there.

mogwai is great live if you like feeling music in your chest

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

TacticalHoodie posted:

Best Concert I been to was RATM and the Beastie Boys Rhyme and Reason in 2001. The amount of planning we had to do to sneak out of our hotel during our high school graduation trip to go see the concert in Toronto made it more memorable. The energy of the Beastie Boys was something I never imagined nor I think anyone could match ever again. RATM also played a lot of off album tracks like "gently caress the Police" and showing a lot of hatred to George Bush.

Uhhhhh when did this happen?

I had tickets for one of the shows (Toronto area) on that tour and it was cancelled. According to this article the whole tour never happened.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...on-2000-192896/

According to http://www.beastiemania.com/gigog/index.php?t=rd&c=&e=50&p=4 The tour was supposed to be in 2000, and they only did 2 shows in 2001.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 17, 2022

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Speaking of RAtM, I just went to their show on Sunday in MSG. Depending on how hosed Zach's leg is that may be the last show they do for quite a while. He had to do the entire thing sitting down, but it was still a great show. Everything was on point, whole crowd was on their feet the entire time. Run the Jewels came out for Close Your Eyes and Count to gently caress and did a great set as the opening act. Recency bias, but it was easily the best show I've seen.

Worst, hands down: the Ataris in ~2010 in a dive bar. The sound was off the entire time and the singer had clearly blown out is voice/lungs as he couldn't hit or hold notes. The opening act had one of their guitarists on drums because their drummer gave up on the band while passing through Pennsylvania and went back to California after I assume he realized the band wasn't going anywhere.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Best was probably The Wonder Years in Orlando in... 2012? It was my birthday, I was on my year abroad, got the bus down from UF on my own to watch the show (which also had like Polar Bear Club, Transit and The Story So Far playing) and it was awesome.

Worst is tied. Dragonforce played about 5 songs in 2 hours, every solo took forever and I just wasn't into them anyway. Blink 182 at Reading Festival in 2010 is probably the most disappointing because I never got to see them when they were "good" (feel free to argue if they were ever good) and instead I got Tom Delonge loving up lyrics and barely being able to sing, never mind in tune.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Uhhhhh when did this happen?

I had tickets for one of the shows (Toronto area) on that tour and it was cancelled. According to this article the whole tour never happened.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...on-2000-192896/

According to http://www.beastiemania.com/gigog/index.php?t=rd&c=&e=50&p=4 The tour was supposed to be in 2000, and they only did 2 shows in 2001.

looks like we got an interdimensionary incursion boys

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

The Walrus posted:

looks like we got an interdimensionary incursion boys

What an amazingly weird gimmick (if it's not just a mix-up of dates) to describe a memory of a publicized event that never actually happened!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

EvilHawk posted:

Best was probably The Wonder Years in Orlando in... 2012? It was my birthday, I was on my year abroad, got the bus down from UF on my own to watch the show (which also had like Polar Bear Club, Transit and The Story So Far playing) and it was awesome.

Worst is tied. Dragonforce played about 5 songs in 2 hours, every solo took forever and I just wasn't into them anyway. Blink 182 at Reading Festival in 2010 is probably the most disappointing because I never got to see them when they were "good" (feel free to argue if they were ever good) and instead I got Tom Delonge loving up lyrics and barely being able to sing, never mind in tune.

One of my best friends who is also named Tom, drank a coke out of a cooler backstage at a blink 182 show and Tom Delonge walked up to him, lip ring sparkling in the lights and said "Um, excuse me, is that yours, dude?".

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The only concert I've ever had to leave was a Korpiklaani show I'd only gone to for one of the openers but decided to stay for the headliner just in case they're more fun live than recorded. I don't know what it was about their particular crowd but that show involved far too many coked up teenagers elbowing me in the face and 6ft tall men deciding I didn't exist and they could walk straight through me. I wasn't even anywhere near the pit

Best is a really tough tie. Kamelot on their Shadow Theory tour was another 'maybe I'll stick around for the headliner' gamble that paid off very well. Just an insanely tight performance and it was like the entire crowd was there to see their #1 favourite band.
Idk the name of the tour but I saw Bad Religion for the first time in I think 2019 and maybe it was just the right band at the right time but it sticks out as a particularly cathartic experience. It was like my brain got put through a car wash, in a good way
My first time seeing They Might Be Giants the vibe in the hall was just very jubilant. Very fun

But I think my most cherished memories are still the lovely $10 all ages community hall basement shows in my hometown that was 100% lovely local bands who never went anywhere and maybe one or two up and coming bands who would tour anywhere they could. These shows were like 6h long and would have like 10 bands performing and they'd be a mix of metalcore and electropop and pop punk so you'd get the worst mix of teenagers and older dropouts and sometimes a band members mom would be selling cupcakes for some reason

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

A Strange Aeon posted:

What an amazingly weird gimmick (if it's not just a mix-up of dates) to describe a memory of a publicized event that never actually happened!

The tour got cancelled before it started, because Mike D from the Beastie Boys broke his arm or some poo poo, and then not too long after that (before things could be rescheduled) Rage split up.

Too bad, would have been a sweet show.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

poverty goat posted:

This is why I miss but also do not miss the venue of all my first concerts, the boathouse in Norfolk, VA (RIP)

It was literally an old boathouse, made of corrugated steel, and very narrow across the front of the stage. Absolutely terrible as a music venue

Oh my god, the Boathouse. There's some short youtube or vimeo documentary on it, go find it. A lot of amazing 90s bands played there.

I saw Primus on the Brown Album tour there. I had a broken toe and wore combat boots so people wouldn't step on it, but they did.

I also remember that they had these huge racks of white strobe lights behind them that just kept being pulsed by the light tech, it was so blinding and distracting, literally had to close my eyes at times.

Drove all the way down from Charlottesville and back for that one.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Back in 2006 the two worst concerts I have ever been to was Dragonforce and Cradle of Filth. They were such awful experiences that it was downright embarrassing.

I have also seen Three Doors Down, Sevendust, God Forbid but they were leagues better than the two I listed above.

My first Concert when I was 10 was GWAR and it loving owned.

But the best performance I have ever had the privilege of witnessing is Devin Townsend. I swear his performances are 100% spiritual and takes you on a wicked ride.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

kntfkr posted:

One of my best friends who is also named Tom, drank a coke out of a cooler backstage at a blink 182 show and Tom Delonge walked up to him, lip ring sparkling in the lights and said "Um, excuse me, is that yours, dude?".

AUM, EXCYUSEEEEEE MEEEE, IS THAT YWOURS DUDE,? I CYANNOT SLEEP, I CYANNOY DREAM TONIGHT

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Best was probably a Ghoul show I went to at some point. Always a good time with the sketches and fake gore thrown everywhere.

Worst was a Slayer show in Sacramento in 2019 with fellow goon Nazzadan. It pretty much made me swear off seeing big acts ever again. The openers were great, but It was hot, super crowded, and Slayer took so long to get set up that the PA system managed to play the album Back In Black in it's entirety, then loop back around and keep playing it some more. We started to leave before they even finished their set, and we weren't the only ones, as much of the crowd also said gently caress this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Planet X posted:

Oh my god, the Boathouse. There's some short youtube or vimeo documentary on it, go find it. A lot of amazing 90s bands played there.

I saw Primus on the Brown Album tour there. I had a broken toe and wore combat boots so people wouldn't step on it, but they did.

I also remember that they had these huge racks of white strobe lights behind them that just kept being pulsed by the light tech, it was so blinding and distracting, literally had to close my eyes at times.

Drove all the way down from Charlottesville and back for that one.

the only really cool band i saw there in retrospect was mr bungle. might have been the same show as SOAD on their first album tour which was pretty good too. had tickets to dillinger escape plan a couple of days after the storm knocked it down