Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Grape posted:

AUM, EXCYUSEEEEEE MEEEE, IS THAT YWOURS DUDE,? I CYANNOT SLEEP, I CYANNOY DREAM TONIGHT

zactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Best concert: Primus played at a relatively small local venue, kicked a lot of rear end, way higher crowd energy than the concert at our events center a year before, which was also a fun concert.

Worst concert: Got forced into taking my parents to a country Christmas concert as the DD 3 or so months before I graduated Highschool. 2 hours of the most generic, faux-patriotic saccharine mid-2000s dogshit country, plus having to deal with my parents getting sloshed and obnoxious. I was craving the sweet mercy of death.

Worst concert I wasn't forced into going: Went to a Godsmack/Papa Roach concert with my then-girlfriend because she really wanted to go, we got cheap tickets because we were broke as hell, and had seats that could barely see the stage, and we were seated next to an incredibly loud and obnoxious group who spent every moment in between songs trying to get the band's attention.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Uhhhhh when did this happen?

I had tickets for one of the shows (Toronto area) on that tour and it was cancelled. According to this article the whole tour never happened.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...on-2000-192896/

According to http://www.beastiemania.com/gigog/index.php?t=rd&c=&e=50&p=4 The tour was supposed to be in 2000, and they only did 2 shows in 2001.

the person you quoted here self-banned in case you're waiting for a reply

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Rockman Reserve posted:

the person you quoted here self-banned in case you're waiting for a reply

do you think that's why?

they got called out on a made up concert and was like oh dear oh dear i hate myself self ban????

:confused:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I went to see Explosions in the Sky at a festival one time and got high as hell on a combo of things, and was super jazzed and ready to have my brain melted and vibe.

But all the festival people were just drunk as gently caress and wouldn't shut the gently caress up and were not interested at all.

Shut the gently caress up and vibe for that kind of music you cretins.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

kntfkr posted:

do you think that's why?

they got called out on a made up concert and was like oh dear oh dear i hate myself self ban????

:confused:

maybe this is how they finally realized they were in the wrong timeline

now they're trying to get back

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Best show:
I have been to a lot of shows, but the most memorable was probably Municipal Waste. I saw them at this local punk venue. It was the bassists birthday if I recall. To celebrate they brought up a folding table and chairs to the stage and challenged anyone in the crowd with a birthday on that day. This girl goes on stage, two cakes come out and the rules are whoever eats the most cake before the song ends wins.

Municipal Waste songs aren’t long to begin with, but no longer than 3 seconds in the girl smashes her face into the cake, flips the table over and stage dives into the crowd. The whole room just exploded and the band went wild. I’ve been to a lot more violent gigs, but that was the most fun I think.

Worst show:
Riff Raff. I ironically liked his music way back when he was known as MTVs Riff Raff. I thought he would at least be amusing. Instead he sat on a stool and rapped every third verse over his own vocal track. It’s like he was poorly singing along to his own tapes.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Deki posted:

Worst concert: Got forced into taking my parents to a country Christmas concert as the DD 3 or so months before I graduated Highschool. 2 hours of the most generic, faux-patriotic saccharine mid-2000s dogshit country, plus having to deal with my parents getting sloshed and obnoxious. I was craving the sweet mercy of death.

This sounds like my idea of hell.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hahaha that reminds me that in high school I accidentally joined a community military band (long story) so I guess those are among the worst concerts I've been to, too

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Best Concert was going to Death From Above 1979 at the local Farmer's Market on their SONG CPR Tour. The guys were super chill and warned us that they are workshopping a lot of songs for a new album that became the Physical World. Also having Jesse Keeler do a MSTRKRFT encore set was just amazing. Punk concert turned into electronic dance party was wonderful.

Worst Concert was LMFAO. They were performing in a local club that had a rep for drug use and hair trigger violence. They did 3 songs, and left the stage. There was no energy and LMFAO looked really tired. A fight broke out afterwards when two groups of girls were yelling to get LMAFO's attention the whole time and they got into a brawl because one girl flashed her chest and words got tossed around by both sides. This forced the bouncers to make everyone to leave the venue without getting our jackets in the middle of winter. It took the club a week to get everyone's jackets back to them and gave us a free drink ticket as a "I'm Sorry" for the inconvenience.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Worst off the top of my head was a Dylan concert a while back, figured I should see him at least once. His voice lasted the first half of Like a Rolling Stone and then immediately collapsed into unintelligible croaking. Couldn't even tell what the songs were supposed to be.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
Best: Tie between Gorillaz in Chicago 2011 (They did an extended set because a lot of the musicians on the Plastic Beach tour were Chicago-based) and Flaming Lips at the OKC Zoo Ampitheater in 2006 (They were filming "UFOs at the Zoo" unbeknownst to the audience until Wayne said something on stage)

Worst: Against my better judgement, I got dragged by some of my Marine friends to go to X-FEST in Chula Vista, CA on May 30, 2014. The lineup was: Cherub, MS MR, 311, Bleachers, Foster The People, SKATERS, Capital Cities, Iration , Phantogram, Panic! At the Disco, KONGOS, and Sir Sly. It wasn't a festival, it was an extended series of concerts, and they all took place in a single amphitheater, it was loving miserable and drinks cost too much to even get a buzz going. I did get to see 311 play to a completely unenthusiastic crowd though, so that was something sort of entertaining at least.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
I’ve had a few memorable concerts.
Best:
Opeth supported by High on Fire was great - I guess Matt was having a pretty good day, and just had great energy as the HOF set ended up being really great. Opeth were fantastic, and at one point, they stopped the show to read a note that got tossed on stage, read it, and called someone’s dad to wish them a happy birthday. Just some good, wholesome fun followed by excellent death growling.

Helloween and Gamma Ray on the Hellish Rock tour in London were absolutely incredible. Just really goofy fun power metal, and the first time they had done the whole “original line up quasi-reunited” thing that they’ve settled into, and both groups were insanely energetic the entire time. It was an amazing show, plus I got to experience the magic of late-night takeaway kebab while absolutely hammered after the show when I got dragged along by some Swedes for post-show drinking.

Worst:
Blue Öyster Cult at a county fair. They played the intro to “Shooting Shark” something like 5 times because they kept messing up cues, had weird sound issues the entire time, and had the stage energy of a bunch of drunk dads. Really weird show.

Skid Row in a barn somewhere in the middle of nowhere. The most baffling concert I’ve ever gone to, with terrible mixing/sound, inexplicable decisions (livestock pavilion in only slightly above freezing weather), on a Tuesday, and a brief interlude to promote some amateur wrestlers. Like, this could have been great if there was any energy or coordination whatsoever, but it was just a series of bad decisions.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Hedningen posted:

Helloween and Gamma Ray on the Hellish Rock tour in London were absolutely incredible. Just really goofy fun power metal, and the first time they had done the whole “original line up quasi-reunited” thing that they’ve settled into, and both groups were insanely energetic the entire time.

I feel like goofy fun power metal is the recipe for a good concert almost invariably. Aside from the one time I saw ZP-era Dragonforce 15 years ago (:corsair:), I can't think of the last time I saw a lovely power metal concert.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've heard dragonforce themselves say they weren't ready for guitar hero levels of fame and were showing up to shows too drunk to do a good job? Apparently they put on a pretty decent show now but I couldn't say first hand

Barn Skid Row is hilarious

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

I feel like goofy fun power metal is the recipe for a good concert almost invariably. Aside from the one time I saw ZP-era Dragonforce 15 years ago (:corsair:), I can't think of the last time I saw a lovely power metal concert.

Yeah, they’re generally a good time, especially if the bands get the general goofiness and over-the-top weirdness of the whole genre. Other great power metal shows I’ve seem have been Hammerfall supported by Edguy right when they released Chapter V - I’m an unabashed Hammerfall fan because Joachim is a delightful and a great stage presence, and this was one of their best lineups prior to Magnus and Stefan departing. Another great time was Blind Guardian, who did an insanely extended version of Valhalla to close it.

Props also to another Hammerfall show where I got to drink with Anders Johansson and talk about jazz, experimental music, and making his dad’s music available. Speaking Swedish has really provided a lot of fun concert moments, really.

Skid Row Barn Show was just . . . I don’t even remember how the gently caress it got set up, if there was any supporting acts, or why the gently caress Skid Row was touring at the time.

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

Hedningen posted:

Another great time was Blind Guardian, who did an insanely extended version of Valhalla to close it.

Came here to post Blind Guardian as well. I saw them in San Francisco years back when they were doing some recordings for a live album and they absolutely killed it. You could tell they had a lot of fun getting the crowd hyped up with all the fan favorites and seemed genuinely happy to be performing. Their performance of And Then There Was Silence stands out as especially memorable.

The worst concert I've ever been to was Heart at my hometown's fairgrounds. They seemed totally bored, barely addressed the audience, and the sound was utter dogshit. We got a chance to go backstage afterward and they were hella rude to everyone around them.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I really really hope to see blind guardian at least once before I die. Haven't gotten the chance yet. The concert vids make it look like a religious experience

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

It’s great (if somewhat nerdy). I barely remember the support for that show - one of those two-vocalist folk metal groups that did the soprano/growler mix, I think? The house mix for them was awful, which makes me think they really pissed off the sound tech, because BG was so much better balanced it was astounding.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Blood Brothers in First Unitarian was not the best show but it might have been the sweatiest.

Salemsabre
Nov 12, 2008
Best: Rammstein, 2005 in Glasgow. Absolutely incredible show and it was a weird one because my grandfather had died that morning. I said to my family that I had these tickets and didn't know what to do with them and they said "What else are you going to do? He'd want you to go". He wasn't a Rammstein fan or anything but he was an influence music-wise and I went to that gig and got blasted by the music and fire in an act of pure catharsis.

Worst: Extreme, also in Glasgow, but that's because I got way too hosed up to truly enjoy it and I might as well have not gone. Made me realise that power-drinking at gigs is the stupidest poo poo, especially when prices are ridiculous and being blacked out is pointless in that environment. So actually the gig was probably great but I'm an idiot.

Special Mention: Muse on their Absolution tour. Matt Bellamy is the reason I play guitar and I was psyched to hear them close with Bliss as they had done since Origin of Symmetry. I basically wanted to see the Hullabaloo show. Then Bliss starts up what is most definitely halfway through and the setlist is genuinely why it's not my absolute favourite. I did enjoy being at the front and recognising the 7-string Manson custom that indicated that Citizen Erased was about to start and being in the pit for that was pretty special.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hedningen posted:

It’s great (if somewhat nerdy). I barely remember the support for that show - one of those two-vocalist folk metal groups that did the soprano/growler mix, I think? The house mix for them was awful, which makes me think they really pissed off the sound tech, because BG was so much better balanced it was astounding.

sometimes the headliner has time for a proper sound check and running through a few songs and the support gets a basic line check or nothing

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

ProperCoochie posted:

I saw you comment on the Living End upthread. Did you see them when they toured with the Offspring in 1998? I swear that night changed my life. Both great live bands!

Wow this brought back memories. That was my very first concert, albeit in Adelaide Australia in December 1997.

I was only 12, and it blew my mind. Living End had just released their single Prisoner of Society and were about to be huge here in Australia. I had Ixnay in the Hombre album as my first introduction to 'real' music and I was in love.

I still remember them playing 'intermission' and blowing bubbles all over the crowd.

Kids at my primary school were mad jealous.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've only seen NIN once, and that was back in the early or mid-90s. Marlyn Manson opened for them, and no one knew who they were. The dude came out on stage in just underwear and a dildo strapped to his crotch while he waved these other huge dildos around while he sang. It sounded like a noise band, and everyone went outside to smoke. NIN itself was... meh. That entire show was just soured because of Manson being pretty loving terrible, I think. He was trying to shock an audience of mostly goth industrial kids who are used to seeing Skinny Puppy come out on stage cutting open fake dogs and covering themselves in fake gore and intestines for two hours.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 18, 2022

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Termyie posted:

Best Concert was going to Death From Above 1979 at the local Farmer's Market on their SONG CPR Tour. The guys were super chill and warned us that they are workshopping a lot of songs for a new album that became the Physical World. Also having Jesse Keeler do a MSTRKRFT encore set was just amazing. Punk concert turned into electronic dance party was wonderful.

Worst Concert was LMFAO. They were performing in a local club that had a rep for drug use and hair trigger violence. They did 3 songs, and left the stage. There was no energy and LMFAO looked really tired. A fight broke out afterwards when two groups of girls were yelling to get LMAFO's attention the whole time and they got into a brawl because one girl flashed her chest and words got tossed around by both sides. This forced the bouncers to make everyone to leave the venue without getting our jackets in the middle of winter. It took the club a week to get everyone's jackets back to them and gave us a free drink ticket as a "I'm Sorry" for the inconvenience.

I saw Kesha and LMFAO in Vegas, had seats up front. Pretty good show

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Philthy posted:

I've only seen NIN once, and that was back in the early or mid-90s. Marlyn Manson opened for them, and no one knew who they were. The dude came out on stage in just underwear and a dildo strapped to his crotch while he waved these other huge dildos around while he sang. It sounded like a noise band, and everyone went outside to smoke. NIN itself was... meh. That entire show was just soured because of Manson being pretty loving terrible, I think. He was trying to shock an audience of mostly goth industrial kids who are used to seeing Skinny Puppy come out on stage cutting open fake dogs and covering themselves in fake gore and intestines for two hours.

Thanks for reminding me how great Skinny Puppy was when I saw them in maybe 1994. They went hog wild with the stage gore, there was a huge metal tree thing with fake fetuses hanging from chains and Ogre kept sticking his head inside a box with strobe lights in it and miming being electrocuted. He had some plastic wrap around his stomach filled with possibly real animal guts that he would periodically rip out of himself and fling at the crowd. For an encore he came out in a full body mutant costume that had a third arm growing out of his back and light up eyes. Some girl fainted and got taken away by paramedics. The bass was so intense that a contact lens popped out of my eye.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
has anyone here ever seen Rob and or White Zombie in concert? really curious as to what happens other than "Thunderkiss '65"

oh and "More Human than Human"

i could probably listen to like a 30 minute version of Thunderkiss 65 with Earthless-style guitar solos between the SIXTY FIVE YEAH OW

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I play D&D with a dude who opened for Skid Row, I'm gonna have to ask if they ever did barns.

Best concert(s) is the handful of times I've seen Hole over the years. Love's divisive but the woman is charismatic as hell and really seems to like interacting with her audience. Got to see Foxy Shazam open for them once and the energy was off the motherfucking CHARTS.

Slightly more embarrassing is how my parents drug me to the CORNERSTONE CHRISTIAN MUSIC FESTIVAL every year from age 1 to 16. Obviously just about everyone was terrible but I remember seeing Five Iron Frenzy as a youngin and despite not really being into them, the concert was fun as hell. There were two pinatas tossed into the audience, one full of candy, and one full of pork n' beans. Total blast.

Worst, uh, Evanescence probably. I was a goth teen with bad taste but after the concert I totally lost interest. They had the band with the dude who did the guy parts on Being Me to Life there and he seemed super stoked to do it, it was kind of adorable.

Worst experience was Garbage/Blondie in the last concert I saw before the pandemic. Both of them were great, but my sister decided to leave about one song into Blondie's set and cried until we agreed to leave with her. It was my now-husband's first concert and I'm still salty about that.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

20 Blunts posted:

has anyone here ever seen Rob and or White Zombie in concert? really curious as to what happens other than "Thunderkiss '65"

I saw him at a one day festival with a bunch of hard rock and nu-metal type stuff that a co-worker wanted to go do but didn't want to go alone because he'd never been to that sort of thing before and he was an awkward nerdy dude without much social experience. was okay actually, dude was alright just lacking in self confidence because of his weight.

anyway Rob Zombie kicked rear end and was the highlight of the day. also I have never seen so many boobs in person at once before or since, lots of ladies flew them proudly

e: I mostly remember him playing stuff from the album with dragula which is probably what you'd expect in 2008 and he had huge projections of spooky images/animations in time with the music that was really rad

Revins fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 19, 2022

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
The first post-breakup Dead Milkmen show was the worst DM show I saw out of a dozen or so. Rodney Anonymous was out of shape and fat Elvising all over the stage. I made the mistake of saying so on Facebook and it turned out a friend of mine is friends with their drummer so she tagged him in so I guess I could tell them they got old and out of shape? The last time I heard about him was when a bunch of my friends who worked at Discmakers in Pennsauken saw that he had applied for a job there so it gave me the opportunity to ask him if he got the job. He didn't.

Philthy posted:

I've only seen NIN once, and that was back in the early or mid-90s. NIN itself was... meh. hours.

Around the same time period, I saw NIN in a a smallish venue, it was all strobe and smoke with Reznor appearing and singing a few lines and then disappearing. I could have sat at home and listened to the CD.

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 19, 2022

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

20 Blunts posted:

oh and "More Human than Human"

i could probably listen to like a 30 minute version of Thunderkiss 65 with Earthless-style guitar solos between the SIXTY FIVE YEAH OW

Yeah I saw him open for Judas Priest in Long Beach in 2007. Decent set, can't remember the exact songs but he played his newer stuff and Dragula. Not sure if they did Thunderkiss '65 YEAH OW or not.

I lived up the street at the time from the LB Arena, so being able to get a good buzz on and just walk home was the absolute tits.

Oh! Remembering more of the show. The venue was all ages, being an arena, so there were a lot more kids than one normally sees at a metal show. There was one 12 year old jamming around trying to start his own pit, flinging his mullet all over. Lil dude swings his head directly into the balls of one of the hardest lookin old timer motherfuckers I've ever seen at a show. Hell's Angels looking kind of guy. So I think I'm about to see a kid get murdered. Guy scowls at the kid, takes a run at him... and sweeps him into the air up on his shoulders. Big grins all around. Guy was the kid's uncle.

God I miss going to those shows.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i smoked weed with claude coleman from ween

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I don't think I've been to any truly terrible concerts. The worst experience I had was when Weird Al played our state fair, because it was hotter than loving Mercury that day. A lot of people left toward the end as the sun was setting. Then I got to move closer and it was cooling off, so it got better.

The best experience was when I saw Jenny Lewis. A friend and I got right up front when the doors opened. There was no equipment on stage yet. They set her mic stand directly in front of me. I love that woman.

A different friend and I went to the same venue because he wanted to see Theory of a Deadman and I was like, eh sure. I much preferred the opener Royal Republic. They were fun.

I'm seeing Franz Ferdinand next week and I hear they are good live.

Oh yeah - comedy shows: I saw Dave Chappelle a while back and some idiot in the front row brought their crying baby. Chappelle ran with it though. I saw Bob Saget shortly before he passed. I have seen the Whose Line guys a few times and always had fun.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Worst: Kanye at Bonnaroo '08. It's debatable as to whether he's to blame for taking the stage like 4 hours late, but what's not debatable is his performance sucked.

Best: It's a corny as hell answer, but 2009 Trans Siberian Orchestra toured with Robin Zander of Cheap Trick and I saw them in New Orleans. First act was their tightly orchestrated christmas show, second was Zander, the band, and a uniquely impressive collection of local singers jamming out. Didn't hurt that they had one of the better light shows in the live music business at the time.

Honorable Mention: Aaron Carter at the Alabama Hot Air Balloon Festival. Really the title card is it's own punchline, the concert itself was immemorable.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Best: Fugazi in 1993. I loved their whole, "just turn the regular lights on, people are hear to watch us play music." Which they did. Also the interaction with the crowd. There was a guy that kept yelling out for them to play Minor Threat songs and Ian got so pissed off he told the guy to leave and gave him his money back. Then had a talk with him out the back and let him stay as long as he just sat at the die of the stage quietly for the whole gig. Their playing was loving awesome as well.

Worst: Essential Festival in Brighton in 1997. Went to the "Roots" day, they had a hip hop stage with Grandmaster Flash, Africa Bambaataa, The Jungle Brothers, Jeru the Damaja and Ice-T. Africa Bambaataa played drum n bass on some decks off the side of the stage so you couldn't see him. Grandmaster Flash had sound issues and the needles kept jumping when he was scratching/juggling and eventually gave up after about 15 minutes. Jungle Brothers were okay I guess and we took off before Ice-T came on to get the last train back to London.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't think Ive ever been to a bad concert. Live music is amazing.

Yeah. I went to a lot of small punk shows in college and even the bad ones were usually incredibly funny. I guess the worst was an artschool fundraiser that ended with a teacher's insufferable jam band that would. not. END. and the even the organizers just ditched them to join the rest of the students at a bar.

I generally avoid large venues but Radiohead was great. Gogol Bordello whipped the crowd into an absolute frenzy, chugged wine the entire set, then invited everyone for drinks after. And my wife got to see Nick Cave in a secret acoustic set with like 30 other people.

Honorable mention Juliette Lewis and the Licks. stupid fun butt rock. she had unlimited energy and wouldn't stop growling and crowd surfing during guitar solos. and now she's in Yellow Jackets.

i took a photo i liked, before phone cameras were really a thing

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

That's a sick photo

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Idiot Kicker posted:

I'm seeing Franz Ferdinand next week and I hear they are good live.

I’ve seen them twice, once back in 2004 or whenever it was that they did the Big Day Out, and then in 2015 or thereabouts. Both times excellent. They put on a solid show. I don’t know what they’re like with the new members but I’m sure they’re still good 😊

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Best concert(s) is the handful of times I've seen Hole over the years. Love's divisive but the woman is charismatic as hell and really seems to like interacting with her audience.
I really like Hole and I really like Courtney Love

She was a real bitch and a real person and got a ridiculous bad rap. I'd love to have been her

I envy how many songs she had made about her and I'm sorry that her life life wasn't better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Isometric Bacon posted:

Wow this brought back memories. That was my very first concert, albeit in Adelaide Australia in December 1997.

I was only 12, and it blew my mind. Living End had just released their single Prisoner of Society and were about to be huge here in Australia. I had Ixnay in the Hombre album as my first introduction to 'real' music and I was in love.

I still remember them playing 'intermission' and blowing bubbles all over the crowd.

Kids at my primary school were mad jealous.

It was my first as well. Went to see The Offspring. The Living End played first and my brain melted. The punk/rock/rockabilly fast hard songs in swing time just obliterated my mind. The standup bass and the bassist repeatedly jumping off it. Fell in love with semihollow Gretsch guitars.
The second band was Ozomatli, a reggaeton flavored rock ensemble. I remember at one point during the Offspring's set the lights got reaaal low and the bass player's fret markers turned into tiny red lights. This was in NYC in late 98 or maybe early 99.

Idiot Kicker posted:

The best experience was when I saw Jenny Lewis. A friend and I got right up front when the doors opened. There was no equipment on stage yet. They set her mic stand directly in front of me. I love that woman.

I never saw her solo act but she performed with The Postal Service when I saw them and she was amazing, she was with every song not just the album appearances, a massive role in an incredible performance. She liked one of tweets last week and I almost poo poo my pants.

Riatsala posted:

Honorable Mention: Aaron Carter at the Alabama Hot Air Balloon Festival. Really the title card is it's own punchline, the concert itself was immemorable.

FWIW I met him a couple of times, he does have musical talents, he's just got many demons too.