Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This is probably going to derail both the social media and indie threads and it probably deserves its own thread since its spiraling.

The background:

Wrestle Queerdom is an all trans/nb/gnc indie wrestling event that is run by Sally, a trans woman behind the Transgraps account. You might have noticed the account on twitter, Sally tweets a lot. This will be a problem later. And earlier. She's been on twitter a long time, as has been mentioned in other threads she was a long time Teddy Hart fan (she apologized for her defenses of Teddy) and was briefly involved in trying to organize an All Inoki Inokiist indie show that never happened.

She was also the person Kenny Omega is replying to here

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/1056172162594283521

Wrestle Queerdom ran in the Hampshire Dome in Milford NH. Milford is a small town next to Amherst NH, about an hour from Boston.

It was announced this spring and booked a pretty impressive card given how limited the talent pool it was pulling from:

https://twitter.com/W_Queerdom/status/1554963059239682050

So what happened?

First, Transgraps has never promoted a show before. As said earlier the only thing they were involved in didn't happen. The person primarily behind the account is 23 years old. She's the main event organizer and wasn't equipped.

Second, for people outside of New England, Milford NH is basically in the middle of nowhere. It's an hour from Logan airport the biggest airport in New England, an hour from Worcester regional and half an hour from the small Manchester airport. It's hard to get to. It's also not easy to get to from New York by car. So it's hard for talent and fans to get to.

So you have an unprepared promoter and a show that is a logistical nightmare to get talent to. It also turns out the promoter didn't have enough money to run the show. The first bad sign was a week ago the person doing the video production pulled out.

Despite Sonny Kiss being on the show the biggest draw was probably VENY as VENY has never wrestled in the US and has an incredible reputation. I can't think of anyone who would say VENY sucks. VENY flew in about a week ago and was staying with the promoter for a few days (and was moved to a hotel for the weekend.)

Remember what I said about Transgraps posting way too much? I won't post the screenshots here as it's kind of creepy but Transgraps posted about feelings of jealousy because VENY is so pretty, live tweeting VENY eating a lot and sleeping all day, and other stuff a promoter should never post about talent! VENY was clearly annoyed on instagram but dealt with it very professionally.

However,

Max the Impaler pulled out and went public after Transgraps tried to kayfabe it and say everything was fine.

https://twitter.com/_theyaremax_/status/1555241726423535617

Transgraps said they had some maturing to do before they ever promoted again but would work hard to make sure the event was a success.

The show happened yesterday and drew 150 people, which is respectable for an indie show. Day of there weren't any horror stories, just complaints about the announcer.

https://twitter.com/Thefabulouslif3/status/1556269943758495746

However for a show flying in VENY it's a disaster. Transgraps bragged about drawing 150 in New Hampshire and talked about another show next year.

https://twitter.com/SaturnCameron/status/1556357249811058690

Then stories of people being stranded came out.

Pro Wrestling Vibe pulled their partnership today:

https://twitter.com/PWVibe/status/1556354760143519753

Some more details on the show and financials:

https://twitter.com/aiden_v_e/status/1556359717567463424

It looks like more and more will be coming out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In the time it took to write that OP more stuff pops up. This really sucks

https://twitter.com/thebigmilkman77/status/1556372439889739777

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

poor VENY must be terrified. what a shitshow

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Already deleted so hopefully it's not true. Well actually, given the circumstances, it's almost definitely true. Hopefully it's taken care of at least.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

MassRafTer posted:

This one's already gone, what did it say?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It said VENY is stuck in America -something about a COVID test

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

it was apparently a DM from Sally about the state upcharging VENY's covid test and they're 75 bux short

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/_theyaremax_/status/1556366201697230850

God forbid wanting to get paid up front

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Imagine being VENY, one of the hottest queer wrestlers in the business right now, flying over for your first US booking on a show you really believe in, only to get stuck crashing on the couch with some weirdo who livetweets you sleeping and can't afford to get you back home, so not only did you not get paid you end up losing money on the whole experience.

This is the kind of poo poo that gives indie wrestling a bad name.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I think there was a lot of this sentiment. No one really wanted to be a dick and say "this event is going to be a disaster" because there was a good vibe about it, and if it went well it would make a lot of marginalized people feel really good.

Once the card was announced I kind of thought "none of this makes sense but they've booked a lot of talent, hopefully it's not a disaster." But one thing I kept thinking about was the venue.

Transgraps was way too excited about doing this in NH and that it was in a "dome." By dome it was one of those big pressurized youth soccer venues. Which isn't something to be bragging about but it's a nice indie venue.

https://twitter.com/MikeyLaFraah89/status/1556062507621572613

But they really seemed to think it was a big deal that it was in a dome. An event like this kind of needed to happen near an airport. It might have worked at the Fete in Providence or maybe White Eagle in Worcester in conjunction with Beyond or WWR. Or maybe a venue in Northern New Jersey. Doing it in NH just made it a logistical nightmare, but it was really important to Transgraps and bragging about that is one of the things that pissed off Max again.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/Wh1t3F4c3/status/1555404035946999808

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Benne posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that gives indie wrestling a bad name.

And all the other poo poo. Wrestling is a total scumbag business from top to bottom.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
is it known whether TransGraps settled on that venue mainly because of its proximity to her?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

is it known whether TransGraps settled on that venue mainly because of its proximity to her?

I can't say for sure but I don't think it's that close to her. I think she lives like half an hour away just based on taking VENY to a Sonic and there's none close to Milford. So just a guess but I think she lives in the Portsmouth area. But it definitely seems like it was important that the venue be in NH. There were a lot of posts about how this was big for the NH "scene."

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They likely settled on it the same way they settled on everything else they seem to have done here, which is by applying no critical thought to how their wrestling show would work out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MassRafTer posted:

I can't say for sure but I don't think it's that close to her. I think she lives like half an hour away just based on taking VENY to a Sonic and there's none close to Milford.

History Comes Inside! posted:

They likely settled on it the same way they settled on everything else they seem to have done here, which is by applying no critical thought to how their wrestling show would work out.

I get the horrible feeling that it's eventually going to come that this whole thing was put together as some sort of desperate plan to somehow wrangle a "date" with VENY.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
From what I've read, Sally was also refusing offers from other experienced promoters who wanted to contribute and make the show better. A then-22 year old who has never promoted before and didn't have the money insisted on doing all of that herself. I don't know if that's an ego thing or what, but WTF.

Davros1 posted:

I get the horrible feeling that it's eventually going to come that this whole thing was put together as some sort of desperate plan to somehow wrangle a "date" with VENY.
Wasn't there some gross "god is testing me" poo poo in the tweets when VENY was sleeping? Yeah, so many red flags.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/maizefarms/status/1556360907214684165?s=20&t=yBZzSTsk1RQG-fItsjtthQ

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

From what I've read, Sally was also refusing offers from other experienced promoters who wanted to contribute and make the show better. A then-22 year old who has never promoted before and didn't have the money insisted on doing all of that herself. I don't know if that's an ego thing or what, but WTF.

This part does come off very much like them wanting to be totally in control of the situation to maximise their ‘clout’ or whatever the gently caress it is the kids are calling it these days.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Wasn't there some gross "god is testing me" poo poo in the tweets when VENY was sleeping? Yeah, so many red flags.

Yes, VENY was put in an absolutely awful position.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

This part does come off very much like them wanting to be totally in control of the situation to maximise their ‘clout’ or whatever the gently caress it is the kids are calling it these days.
What's weird is that there's an example from only a few months ago of how this situation can work: GCW running the Mania weekend shows with help from every other contributor but still being billed as the organizer. There's a reason it was called "The Collective" and not "GCW and Literally Nobody Else Presents a Bunch of Shows".

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

That dome is somehow the most shocking part about all of this.

Your average fieldhouse is probably just as easy to book and is less than an hour away from an airport and hotels.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/aiden_v_e/status/1556385055748067328

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

What's weird is that there's an example from only a few months ago of how this situation can work: GCW running the Mania weekend shows with help from every other contributor but still being billed as the organizer. There's a reason it was called "The Collective" and not "GCW and Literally Nobody Else Presents a Bunch of Shows".

Yeah but Brett Lauderdale isn’t a 22 year old terminally online twitter personality.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

let Ian book the next one

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

From one of SquaredCircle's mods:

akittycat posted:

I don't really want to get to deep into the weeds on this because it has such little to do with me, but I did (on multiple occasions) extend a hand to TransGraps to promote their card here the same way that we allow other Indie Promotions/Wrestlers to do on occasion (Black Label Pro/Viva Van/Robert Anthony/etc) and she just never did outside of a couple posts early on.

I even offered to try and help set up AMA's with some of the headlining talent and after an intial agreement from her, she just sort of never followed up on it outside of me trying to check in with her after a week or two of radio silence.

So, at the very least, I can co-confirm with the reports that some talent are putting out about TransGraps just absolutely refusing/failing to use the promotional avenues that were offered to her to promote this show.

Aiden Von Engeland's tweet basically sums up my mild experiences interacting with TransGraps to a T. She's not a bad person but is 100% absolutely lacking in the maturity or common sense experience to put on something like this and spent way too much time playing fantasy booker and no where near enough time actually promoting the show and making sure that things were being managed. When you already have a massive card, and are openly complaining on twitter from your "business" account about how much financial stress youre under, and then continue to announce expensive talent being booked, you'd normally expect a whole bunch of red flags to go off in your head about what you're doing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

poorly worded post. let me re do

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I hope the next wrestling event that celebrates transgender, nonbinary and gender nonconforming performers isn't run by someone who has to put in significant effort into seeming like a cool nice person and still can't help saying stuff like, "I don't care who it is, I want to bite someone's rear end" the same day they host a huge international talent in their home, etc.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Goon Camp

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Cavauro posted:

I hope the next wrestling event that celebrates transgender, nonbinary and gender nonconforming performers isn't run by someone who has to put in significant effort into seeming like a cool nice person and still can't help saying stuff like, "I don't care who it is, I want to bite someone's rear end" the same day they host a huge international talent in their home, etc.

Same, but also someone who will instead put that significant effort into making sure that wrestling for them is both a good experience and not a complete financial disaster.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cavauro posted:

The good thing is, this will definitely not be the last time an event that celebrates us is put on and I hope it won't have the stink of this farce on it

There's already a good amount of queer graps out there and more on the way - I know Commander Sterling is potentially running their first show soon in the UK and it's probably just a matter of time before they run a celebration similar to this

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

MassRafTer posted:

I think there was a lot of this sentiment. No one really wanted to be a dick and say "this event is going to be a disaster" because there was a good vibe about it, and if it went well it would make a lot of marginalized people feel really good.

Once the card was announced I kind of thought "none of this makes sense but they've booked a lot of talent, hopefully it's not a disaster." But one thing I kept thinking about was the venue.

Transgraps was way too excited about doing this in NH and that it was in a "dome." By dome it was one of those big pressurized youth soccer venues. Which isn't something to be bragging about but it's a nice indie venue.

https://twitter.com/MikeyLaFraah89/status/1556062507621572613

But they really seemed to think it was a big deal that it was in a dome. An event like this kind of needed to happen near an airport. It might have worked at the Fete in Providence or maybe White Eagle in Worcester in conjunction with Beyond or WWR. Or maybe a venue in Northern New Jersey. Doing it in NH just made it a logistical nightmare, but it was really important to Transgraps and bragging about that is one of the things that pissed off Max again.

As an NH resident, there’s no scene here because of exactly this. Everything is too far away from anything. I asked Bryce Remsburg about Chikara running NH shows and he said it was a massive hassle to get anything done here.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Cavauro posted:

so, Effy’s Big Gay Brunch?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lumbermouth posted:

From one of SquaredCircle's mods:

If only she'd done some flyering :negative:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

this really couldn't have happened at a worse time.

idk, I am very pessimistic about the future of trans people in US wrestling, mainly because the political situation in the US is about to turn extremely transphobic (to say the least) but either way, fascists will use this debacle to justify smearing all trans people in wrestling as degenerates who shouldn't be involved in the business at all, and I am worried there'll be promoters who'll bite that bait before November.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I’ve been in a few situations where I’ve tried to do something and gotten in over my head and instead of asking for help, just completely shut down. Dunno if that’s the case with TransGraps.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Dancing Peasant posted:

so, Effy’s Big Gay Brunch?

sure but w/ the differences that were meant to be realized by this show. i assumed there had been some community desire to support that at least. haven't heard any talk about it; probably due to the house being on fire and so on.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I used to live literally ten minutes from there and it’s absolutely a tiny town. It’s not insanely remote but you have to go out of your way to get there and once you’re there, there’s not much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/asuka10272140/status/1556399572821352449?t=Fjkh1veNVuYv0NRqgT5sAQ&s=19

Sounds like Asuka wants to put the whole experience behind her.