Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Awesome! I've missed these threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
What are you hoping to get at Nauru? How big of an island is it, can you put a decent airfield in there to support longer range bombers to interrupt his lines of communication to the Solomons/Rabaul?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dance Officer posted:

Is Groote worth taking in any way?

I would imagine that as an airfield it would be rather annoying and could be a bombing site to hit eastern australia sites.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I gotta admire the level of detail they put into this game. I idly looked up the USS Shad on wikipedia, and the name of the captain they have in the game is the actual guy who captained it at this stage of the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Shad_(SS-235)

quote:

The second Shad was laid down by the Portsmouth Navy Yard (in Kittery, Maine) on 24 October 1941. She was launched on 15 April 1942 (sponsored by Miss Priscilla Alden Dudley), and commissioned on 12 June 1942, with Lieutenant Commander Edgar J. MacGregor III (United States Naval Academy class of 1930) in command.

Did some more digging, that dude actually won the navy cross later in the war: https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/19365

Alikchi, you can't scuttle the Shad! This guy has a destiny to fulfill!

Cimber fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 20, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
How effective is mine warfare in this game? Can you order planes to drop mines instead of bombs, or have subs do minelaying missions?

Would having a buncha subs do minelaying missions outside Osaka and Tokyo Bay be worthwhile? I remember reading that the USAAF did more damage to the Japanese economy with its b29s on mine laying missions later in the war than they did strategic bombing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Starvation

Cimber fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 21, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

SIGSEGV posted:

For all its extremely grog nature would suggest, I remember they did downgrade mine warfare very seriously because it made the game nothing but an ocean of tears.

The game itself or the mod that Alikchi and Pharnakes are playing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tiger Crazy posted:

Only ships have mines and the mines are not replenishable.

Wow, that seems like a hunk of bullshit. Mine warfare was a key part in the pacific war.

edit: Hooooly poo poo, the game is 16 bucks right now! https://www.matrixgames.com/game/war-in-the-pacific-admirals-edition

Cimber fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 22, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

wedgekree posted:

Goonspeed you good Sir! They shall call you the MacArthur of the seas!

Not sure if thats a complement. MacArthur was a terrible general :D

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Interesting day. Losing the transports is...not really _that_ big of a deal? I'm playing against the AI now after I picked this game up for 15 bucks during the sale, and the allies have a metric shitload of AKs, and xAKs.

Oh, I was also reading on the official WitP forums that naval search is bugged to gently caress. Don't do focused search, set search to 360 degrees and 12 hexes and you'll get better results.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
In case you were curious, Weehawken is a town in New Jersey on the Hudson River facing Midtown Manhattan.Tiny town right next to Hoboken. I used to work there.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
That strait on the northeast of Australia is a bastard for me as well. I'm doing the 'GTFO of the DEI' phase of the game now, and I've lost a few ships to subs patroling that area. I found that if i set my task routing to coastal they do better. Into Cooktown for some refueling, then hug the coast behind the great barrier reef down to Brisbane. My APs going to PM take that root, and shoot out at flank speed when they have to cross. That seems to work pretty well, limiting my exposure. As soon as my B17s I managed to pull outta Clark Field and are sitting in Brisbane right now get a few more weeks of AWS training, they'll be put to good use.

BTW, troops that are moving via rail don't take themselves out of strategic movement when they get to their destination, do they. Or is there a way to put them into combat mode that I'm not aware of? I've had a few engineer units sitting with their thumbs up their asses and not building forts because I didn't realize this.

[edit] Also, when do my air replacement pools start to not suck? I'm getting 1 P40 a day right now, which isn't great, and I have a lot of squadrons sitting on the west coast with 4-5 planes and about 20 pilots doing nothing.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 10, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

SerthVarnee posted:

I usually either run them through Perth instead, since they won't have anything important to do for a while anyways.
Unless I just shovel EVERYTHING into Java, Palembang and Port Moresby. It takes for-loving-ever to switch every single Australian unit over from reserve command to useful command btw.
In case of the shoveling thing, I still end up stuffing all those DEI ships into Perth.

Oh and regarding air replacement pools?
Well...1942 sucks.

Understood. I've actually started shooting stuff over to Perth and then the southern coast.

Can someone explain to me why I can't move Restricted Aussie troops via ship to PM? It's annoying as gently caress that to move troops to reinforce PM I'd have to spend the political capital to move them to ABDA command just to put them on a freighter to cross the channel.

How long before this stupidity ends and I get decent HQs?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Rogue0071 posted:

You can't put restricted troops on ships because then you'd be able to move them anywhere, which would defeat the point of having them be restricted. (You can march restricted troops overland across borders but that is generally considered an exploit and house rule banned in mp games.)

Re: HQs, note that it's 1/4 as expensive in political points to move to an HQ within the same leadership hierarchy as to a different one. (In mp, it's generally house ruled not to move land units to unrestricted air HQs to exploit this but this is still cheaper for units that have an unrestricted land HQ within the same hierarchy as their restricted HQ.)

I gotta say, this whole restricted/unrestricted thing is kinda wonky.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

gohuskies posted:

IRL there were tons of Australian soldiers who signed up for local defense military service when they were worried Japan would invade mainland Australia and were very unpleasantly surprised when their terms of service came to include New Guinea. WITP does a bad job of encompassing all these political issues but some of them really were real.

And if you really want Australian soldiers, you should (ahistorically) be evacuating those Aussie brigades from Malaysia ASAP. Those are a huge early game land piece that you can play wherever, if you can get them out.

Yeah, unfortunately I can't get them out now, they are busy defending Singapore. I'm mid January in my game, and I think I did too much 'GTFO' too early. I saved a lot of shipping out of DEI, and sacrified a lot of coastal mine sweepers to let bigger things out now.

Had a rather major oopsie last turn when I was doing a raid on the Marshall Islands. Got bapped by some land aircraft and Enterprise took a torpedo because I had forgotten to put my planes off training. Oh well, whats 3 weeks in the yard for Big E?

Anyone wanna play multiplayer?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Yeah, its insane how much the US spit out both to its own forces and to allied countries. When the beast got awoken, it sure as hell was pissed.

(oh, and as an aside, I'm doing a PBEM game against someone and saw on intel they were shipping their HQ units to a base closer to the front. Sent a few CAs, CLs and DDs to the target area, sunk them all and gave him 5K in troop losses. HQ units? Our fighting troops don't need no HQ." )

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

SerthVarnee posted:

Go for the highlight reels of any day that stands out and just skip the minutia of "bombed Broome".

If you hit nothing during operation useless dirt and don't tell us, we'll live.
If you sink the IJN Glorious Sun of the Divine Emperor's Shadow Dragon and don't tell us, that would be undesirable.

WiTP has this funky feature that divides one raid into smaller parts for purposes of reporting, to represent different areas of the battle happening. So if you see 3 raids of bombers of 10, 6 and 4 aircraft that represents one raid of 16 bombers in that group. It can get pretty annoying later in the game when the allies do thousand bomber raids of Japan.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
FYI I learned that engineer units still provide support and repair aircraft if they are in strat mode. They will not expand ports/airfields/forts, but they will give ground and aviation support. So you can keep your engineers in strat mode all the time and only take them out if you want them digging.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
A few comments if I may

a) Make sure to double verify that tip about engineers, I don't want to screw you over if my version of the game handles it differently than yours.
b) How come you didn't take your aircraft on Enterprise and put them to land for training purposes? I don't think they can train at all if they are on a ship in drydock.
c) Thoughts about doing a carrier raid from Socotra off the coast of Africa to hit either those carriers blockading Karachi or hitting bases on the west coast of India, then immediately beating feet back through the Med and the PC to the South Pacific? You'll have him chasing his tail trying to defend against these raids.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I thought you guys had pilots coming out of the pipeline at 65 XP?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Ahhh, ok. He sure has a lot of benefits this scenario. Do you have anything material or are the allies pretty much stock?

[edit] And FWIW, pilot training is such a huge pain in the rear end that I often forget to swap out my training pilots into the general reserve. I still haven't figured out what the group reserves are for.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Have you thought about making a sub minelaying mission in Darwin?

[edit] Even around Darwin would be annoying, its shallow seas so they decay at the rate of 1 percent a day.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 29, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Actually, the more I think of it the better I think doing a few missions in the hexes adjacent to Darwin would be pretty useful. No yard minesweepers and it's going to force him to put minesweeper units in more of his convoys. You do that in Darwin, outside Palembang, a few around major bases on Eastern India and that's going to give him some indigestion. You just need to put enough in and near random ports in a few regions and he will eventually need to have sweepers in every convoy.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

wedgekree posted:

Tomorrow's gonna be fun!

... Or likelier something weird will be set on the command bar and the airstrikes won't launch at all.

Hopefully the inspiration of the commander was high, as well as the aggression

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Yeah, Tone has 6 floatplanes stationed on it that can do some really far reaching scouting. Losing Tone could potentially be a bit of a headache for him down the road if he can't find American Carriers.

It was Tone's floatplane scouts that spotted the American Fleet at Midway (Though the IJN screwed up passing the message along to Admiral Nagumo until after he had ordered the carriers to rearm for a second strike at Midway Island. Oops).

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wonder how many AV he's going to need to garrison India, and how much free AV he's going to have. What would he be able to do with those troops? Move them towards Australia? Fortify the central pacific? That's a lot of troops to go on transport ships, nice that subs torpedoes don't bonk as much.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Those reef have teef! What are you going to do with Makin Island? Is it large enough for airfields/ports that are useful?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Why are you landing FA on Makin, counter invasion support? Are you landing any AA guns (which I think you are probably going to need real quick). Maldelap seems like a good next target, would isolate a few islands. Any news on your offensive mining ops for Darwin and other big important ports and areas?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Alikchi posted:

Yeah, despite India rapidly falling apart, I have the wind at my back. He won on points ages ago, but I want to see how this ends. Extreme respect to Pharnakes for sticking with it this long.

Mmm. Maybe, maybe not. He got really lucky a few days really early in the war (Saratoga comes to mind), but I think also the fact that you didn't have the black hole that is China tying up massive amounts of troops is what let him be able to attack India with such force as he did. All those extra divisions that were freed up made their presence known.

Have you given any thought to trying to retake Ceylon, or at least be seen making moves there to force him to garrison it and perhaps tie down the KB or mKB?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Radar & AA refits sure are yummy. Replacing a lot of those older AA guns with modern bofors and 5mm cannon is going to be really nice, as is being able to detect raids (and hit) earlier.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I vote #2 myself. You don't need to worry about supply as much for your bases at Wewak and Aitape since they can travel overland up from PM via the trail system. It might not be huge, but its off camera supply that are not subject to interdiction or sinking. From there you can go both west to cut off the Solomons and east to start hitting his resources production centers in the DEI. How big of airbases can you get at Wewak? Can you even just march engineer units up there since you control NG? If you can do you even need to strike his base?

#1 I agree is a dead end.

#3 seems like an obvious choice and might be a good distraction effort while you firm up plan #1. Make lots of moves for #3 and have him looking down there while you move the full stuff up north?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Hope it was a good turn for you and not a giant cluster.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Depending how big the butchers bill is, with the way the Allies are starting to crap out ships and planes at a much better rate, even a 3:1 loss ratio might be a victory when they are starting to get replacements at 5:1

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

wedgekree posted:

Methinks for this mod they're not making the replacement ratio quite that bad. And still losing a lot of carriers hurts.

Oh, yeah. If Alikchi loses all his carriers and Pharn comes away without a scratch it'll be pretty disheartening, but recoverable.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Fun fact. IJN CV aircraft have unique names identifying what ship they are from. If you look closely at combat reports you can identify where they are flying from. Lots of CV aircraft coming from a base? That's a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Good intel reports there, but do you know where the Yokohama Fortress is located?!?