Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Welcome to the Official Games Forum Year of the Game thread!

That's right, not Game of the Year, but Year of the Game. In this thread, we'll decide, once and for all, with scientific rigor, which year was the best ever year for gaming! Come ready to post, because by the time this thread's run its course, we'll have decided what year has contributed most to the magnificent bounty of video games we all love so much.

Voting will be open until the end of August in the United States Pacific time zone. That means voting will close at exactly 00:00 AM PDT on Thursday, September 1. At that point, I'll start tabulating the votes for the best year ever in gaming, and we'll have a countdown starting roughly a week later where we can all enjoy celebrating the history of gaming.

UPDATE: The deadline has been extended by one week! The new deadline is now exactly 00:00 AM PDT on Thursday, September 15!!

Before you post, make sure you read The Rules below, otherwise your vote won't count!

For the most part, why you vote for any given year is up to you! However, I think the core question to answer is: what year contributed the most to gaming as a whole? That can mean a lot of things, but some criteria you might consider are:
  • A lot of really great games were released in that year.
  • A lot of really important or influential games released in that year.
  • Hardware advancements that really pushed gaming forward in a meaningful way.
  • Maybe there's just one game you want to focus on from that year but it was really important and changed gaming forever. Who knows?

As stated above, some of these rules are necessary to make sure your vote counts! Others are just good thread guidelines.

1. You may vote for up to three calendar years. Your post (or posts) can include a first, second, and third-place vote. Your first-place year will get 5 points; your second will get 3 points; your third will get 1 point. You do not have to use all three votes--if you want to vote for just one year, or two, that's totally fine. If you do include more than one year, please make it clear which is your first, second, and third choice or I won't be able to count your votes!

2. You must give your reasons. That means a post that is just "I vote for <year>" won't count! The fun of this thread is in the discussion and seeing everyone's reasons for why they think a given year is the best one. So in your official voting post, make sure you write at least something about why the year(s) you're voting for was/were great. Your post can be as fancy and wordy and essay-like as you want, or it can be short and sweet, but just make sure it has good reasons for your vote. If there are no reasons given in your post, your vote won't count!

3. You may edit your post and even change your vote right up until the deadline. However, if you do, please make that very clear so that I don't accidentally count your old vote(s)!

4. Don't be a dick. Much like with our annual Game of the Year threads, this thread is a celebration of gaming, not an opportunity to tear down people's favorite games. Obviously there will be disagreement, discussion, and argument, but just don't be a huge jerk about it and everything will be cool.

5. Please use spoiler tags when applicable. Yes, we're going to be talking about old games in this thread, but someone might discover games they haven't heard about before through these discussions, and it'd be a shame if they were spoiled on them by your post. Use your judgment here, but in general, if your post discussing a game needs you to talk about Big Plot Reveals, it might be a good idea to spoiler tag those parts.

6. Again, your votes must be in by the end of August! Any votes after it's September 1 in the Pacific time zone in the United States will not be counted.

And that's all! Let's get the posting started, and decide in an official, scientific, definitely real capacity what year is the Year of the Game!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
quoting my 1994 list

1) Doom II
2) Super Metroid
3) Earthbound
4) System Shock
5) XCOM

(also: FF3/6, 2022 GOTY Live-A-Live, Sonic 3+Knuckles, Donkey Kong Country 1, Jagged Alliance. There's also TES: Arena, Virtua Fighter 1, and Warcraft: Orcs and Humans on the "really influential but I wouldn't really play them today" list)

What gets me isn't the quality but the influence here. It's hard to make an indie game that isn't a pure walksim/VN that doesn't touch at least one of these. Most retro FPSes at least attempt to be either Doom II or Quake, and I don't think the influence that Super Metroid or Earthbound have on modern games, especially indies has to be explicated.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I realize now, only too late, that by posting this thread I have obligated myself to have an opinion on this. Gonna have to give it some thought.

1994 is an extremely powerful contender.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Cross posting my list and commentary from the chat thread. Edit: Have added my second and third place votes with half-assed top 5 lists. Please enjoy

First-place vote: 2007

My YOTG based purely on individual nostalgia is 2007. I was 16/17 this year, so I could stay up as late as I wanted, and I could play whatever the hell I wanted.

I think that the beginning of the year I had a 360 and a Wii, and got a PS3 later in the year, so I was also set for consoles. Having a job and no bills was pretty great.

In order to flex on the strength of this year, I am going to count The Orange Box as a single title, even though technically Portal, HL2E2, and Team Fortress 2 are all separate releases, and would each make Top 10 on their own.

Honorable mentions (either due to not ranking or because I didn't play them): Persona 3, The Witcher, Blue Dragon, COD4:MW, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Forza Motorsport 2, FFT:WOTL, Phoenix Wright: Justice for All and Trials and Tribulations, Diddy Kong Racing DS, Peggle, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, Guitar Hero III, Odin Sphere, Mario Strikers Charged, Mega Man Star Force, Bioshock, Heavenly Sword, Eternal Sonata, Sonic Rush Adventure, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Rock Band. There's enough in this year to make your own top 10.

10. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Widely regarded as the worst of the Prime trilogy, Corruption is still a good time and the Wii Remote + Nunchuck combo was a perfect fit to the game's controls. It is, to this day, the only one of the trilogy I've beaten. (Come on with the remaster already.)

9. Crackdown

Crackdown is the best 7/10 video game ever made. You play a superpowered cop :acab: that can jump, climb, and drive around the city to cause physics-based mayhem and acquire stat-boosting collectibles. The traversal in this game is a great time. Microsoft tried to put all the physics calculations for Crackdown 3 in the cloud and it was a disaster.

(Ironically the other best 7/10 game, Astral Chain, is also about cops. Hm.)

8. Everyday Shooter

Here's one that not many of you have heard of. Everyday Shooter is a top down twin stick shooter where the typical sound effects are replaced with guitar riffs, so as you play you are composing your own soundtrack.

Please enjoy this ten year old 480p video from IGN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws35rgblHTY

7. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

I didn't play much of this one because the battle animations are a huge step down from the GBA games but you can't deny that it is now very, very expensive.

6. Halo 3

This is the loving game, right here, that you and your grognard buddies sat outside of GameStop drinking Mountain Dew: John Halo's Pee Edition With XP Bonus until midnight to preorder so that you could get the $100 helmet that only fits your friend's cat.

(possible cw: this is a ten+ year old video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbnFYWTERiw

5. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl

Diamond and Pearl have since been outclassed by their remake, Platinum, but this is around the time I got really in to breeding Pokemon with the right hidden stats. I ended up putting around 100 hours into my Pearl file, putting it right up there with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the list of "games I put a shitload of time into."

4. The World Ends With You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN3AF2_nDDU

3. Super Mario Galaxy

I need to play its sequel again to make this call, but it's possible SMG is a top 3 Mario game alongside 3D World and Odyssey. The movement is :discourse:, the Ice Flower is one of the best power ups in all of Mario, and Rosalina is my thick mommy.

2. Unreal Tournament III

I wasn't a PC gamer, so the PS3 version of UT3 was my first exposure to the "boomer shooter," a genre of FPS that stands differentiated by the slower and more cautious gameplay of games like COD and Wolfenstein. Spawn, die, and immediately respawn. This is probably second behind COD2 as my favorite online shooter from when I was a kid.

1. The Orange Box

This game is three games, so it goes at the top of the list. Team Fortress 2, Portal, and Half-Life 2 Episode 2 are each a potential #1 in their own right, so there's no way this one doesn't take the list. The Orange Box is probably one of the biggest slam-dunk releases ever in terms of quality:cost ratio. You don't see releases like this very often anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSsstXfcRWw

One interesting thing I noticed after posting this list is that between Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Orange Box, Halo 3, Mass Effect, and Modern Warfare, if you were to imagine the platonic ideal of the GameStop bro, they would probably name 2007 their YOTG. (I don't know if this is a point in my list's favor or against it.)

---

Second-place vote: 2017

Yeah, this stupid year is here.

5. Nier Automata
4. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Yakuza 0
2. Hollow Knight
1. Breath of the Wild

---

Third-place vote: 2001

5. Mega Man X5
4. Super Smash Bros. Melee
3. Halo
2. Metal Gear Solid 2
1. Sonic Adventure 2

wuggles fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 9, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
1994 also had Ridge Racer, which isn't a GOTY because it has like, one track, but had the GOAT soundtrack because this was the era of every arcade VGM composer deciding that club music was cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3bhNLtXvHA

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Let me be the first to vote for eventual winner: The Year of 1998. This year saw the release of some all time bangers, games that are still heavily played today and that shaped or reshaped entire genres. There is no argument that 1998 was the single best year in gaming as I'm sure most would agree. Below is my list of 1998 releases (using the NA release dates cuz that's where I was at the time) in order of awesomeness.

10. Tenchu Stealth Assassins
9. Metal Gear Solid
8. Baldur's Gate
7. Breath of Fire 3
6. Grand Theft Auto
5. Xenogears
4. Gran Turismo
3. Escape Velocity: Override
2. StarCraft
1. Final Fantasy Tactics

I might expand on each title later but the list speaks for itself imo

E: also Suikoden 2 released in japan in 1998 which is certainly worth mentioning even if it didnt make it to the west until 99, which is why I left it off my list

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 8, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

great thread idea

After 30+ years of gaming I've grown pretty fond of both having my cake and eating it, so for my own posting pleasure I will compare the year 1998 and the year 2022. I'll write a blurb about both of them that tries to appreciate the broad context of their moment, and then a bunch of bullet points of notable moments or games. A winner will emerge from dust cloud, or will it???

_ _ _ _ _

1998 :blastu:

Glimpses of Dreamcast, peak PSX year, death of the Saturn, the golden waning of the N64, and my introduction to battle.net

Back then most kids I knew didn't have all the consoles. Maybe someone had an N64 and everyone else went to his house to play Goldeneye. Another kid had a Saturn with Guardian Heroes and wherever they traveled a party emerged via 6 controllers and a multi-tap. People were lanning consoles, lanning pcs, playing Diablo over dial-up across town. And there was always a PSX in the room, so many people had a PSX. The Gameboy color started to appear at school, and people were listening to CDs portably. Nobody owned a mobile phone, but a few popular kids had pagers. And some also still had Tamagotchi in their bags.

I bought issue 100 of Electronic Gaming Monthly during xmas of 1997 and was exposed to my first top 100 games list. Everyone I knew had issue 100. We each read it cover to cover dozens of times. Nobody read much online at the time, we all still had subscriptions, sometimes with demo discs which we also traded around. The industry felt innocent, incoherent, fringe. Throughout the course of 1998 much of that would change, we would glimpse the new millennium of gaming's horizon in the abstract, through midnight releases, through dying arcades, through news of new consoles incoming, through massive sequels and print/tv ad campaigns and the booming tradeshows. Over the course of 1998 I would purchase a record number of games for PSX, many at 50 bux a pop, but also a few Greatest Hits, and I was still caught up in playing SOTN (my favorite game to this day) and FFVII, "quite possibly the greatest game ever made" as the quote went. Videogames were poised to enter mainstream culture in a big way, but it was almost unimaginable while you were living it.

- The first quarter alone was notable for quality releases, in true Capcom form Resident Evil 2 blew the doors off of January, then Marvel V Capcom in arcades

- Panzer Dragoon Saga released and only 2 people ever played it though every magazine wrote about it. Many of the Saturn's best gems dropped at this time

- FEB/MARCH: 1080º, Tenchu, Starcraft, Tekken 3, Parasite Eve, NFS 3, and XENOGEARS! (EA+Square western localization deal in action)

- In June I bought Vigilante 8 and finally got more Car Combat after several years of Twisted Metal 2. I also bought my first DualShock. My friend got F-Zero X.

- these were still the days when almost every single game came out in sept-dec, so to have a bunch of releases across the year felt incredibly odd. Still, in Sept people I knew started freaking out because:

- Metal Gear Solid, Rainbow 6, Rogue Trip, and NFL Blitz were fun as gently caress, DDR hit arcades. MGS was a watershed moment all on its own for me, a feeling I've tried to recapture the moment of with Route BP posts.

- OCT/NOV/DEC: Turok 2, Grim Fandango, Fallout 2, Age of Empires, Oddworld Exoddus, Final Fantasy Tactics, Half-Life, Zelda OOT, Thief, Rogue Squadron, Suikoden 2, Mario Party, Starcraft Brood War, Baldur's Gate, South Park, Einhander, Breath of Fire 3, Bushido Blade(s), Saga Frontier, Brave Fencer Musashi, and Starsiege: Tribes.

That's just the surface layer of the year, with many more AA gems waiting in the rafters before the AAA era began, in '98 the rapid market expansion was in lock-step with bleeding edge experimentation in a way we may not see again. Many games we'd only get our hands on later and throughout 1999 (truly '96-'99 changed the lives of an entire generation), but many more we ponied up for on the spot and 1998 year saw the initial release of so many series or games which have been iterated upon to this day or remain in the all-timers list. Truth be told, it was kind of a whirlwind. I would turn 15 later that year and while videogames were a huge part of my life at the time I was also making new friends, exploring social life outside of school, finishing middle school and going into freshman year high, talking on the phone with other people my age, reading great books, riding the city bus a lot, walking even more, using the internet for the first time, discovering the first truly autonomous traces of my love for film (The Thin Red Line in theaters). Videogames, for the first time in my life, started to intertwine with all of this. They had become destination activities, not just an afterschool activity.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

2022 :hellyeah:

The year of Mo Games, postpandemic restructuring, integration of platforms, and what we get out of solitude. They said consoles would be dead.

The significance of 2022 is as much about how the industry/landscape has changed as it is about how I've changed. 25 years later, 22 of them shitposting. Many of the gaming objects that defined the 90s have been consolidated into all-in-one devices or services (RIP 20 years of iPod), in fact mass consolidation is becoming the name of the game to an intimidating degree. This is at once significant and I suppose...just another day in videogaming. Some of the biggest gaming mergers and acquisitions of all time occurred in just the first part of this year. And in a sense it seems that people are more freaked out than ever about the state of the world and just as often use gaming as a therapeutic social tool as opposed to pure escapism. Many are emerging from the Great Indoors of the last few years (or decades!) with a new love of nature and social or political purpose, and videogames seem to be both a better deal than ever and more predatory than ever in their attempts to sucker you out of a few more bucks. Throughout the months of 'new normal' and waves of omicron I readjust my own social expectations. Gaming is often solitary, intense, emotional, requiring of effort. Occasionally it is airy and weightless as friends I've known for decades work through their interpersonal poo poo via avatars in a Deep Rock Galactic hub, neither of us really playing per se, a virtual replacement for the long phone calls we used to share. When we see each other in person it is always significant these days, important and welcome.

Games no longer feel like destination events, except for maybe EVO and the convention scenes. It doesn't seem that going out to play at other people's houses is as much a thing since the advent of mobile telephony, the death of arcades, rise of matchmaking, etc, but that's also my age talking. The last midnight release I witnessed was years ago. I don't make friends like I did when I was in school, and I have a different level of free time and purchasing power compared to back then. I've been working 'at the movies' for a while now after many years wandering and many different jobs. Film, the dominant art form of the 20th Century has been firmly supplanted by the Interactive Game, the dominant art form of the 21st Century. The average notable game release in a year is better than the average notable film release, but still, apples and oranges. People seem more jaded and cynical about the state of gaming than ever, but also more involved, more discerning, more open-minded, dedicated. Social movements pop up and are reflected through the culture of gaming like an elevator with mirrors on all sides. The immensity and fragility of it all becomes ever more apparent. Within this contradictory landscape I experience what may very well be the single best gaming year of my life.

- JAN 1st, I finish up another playthrough of Disco Elysium, this time with full voice acting. The game contains writing so detailed and identifiable it would make personified art objects in other mediums blush.

- Deep Rock Galactic is released on PS+ , a chill game where all my friends hang out and wipe digital beer from their digital beards, an example of how indie development and the live service model can go so so right.

- FEB sees the release of Indie AAA parkour game Dying Light 2, back from the dead of development hell. Devs bound to support it for the next decade.

- OlliOlli World, Sifu, and Horizon Forbidden West, more crowd pleasers of various sizes in a packed first quarter. Everyone seems wary of stepping too close to the shadow of....

- ....Elden Ring, which shatters every possible record a smaller studio could ever hope or imagine to, a megaton capstone to a 13 year run of gaming supersignificance for the plucky auteurs who turned the industry on its head in 2009. The game seems to defy every known ruleset of contemporary game design, and in some ways it's even too ambitious for its own good... vast, conflicted, cynical, gorgeous. All eyes on FROM, Miyazaki and crew immediately confirm that they've gone back to work on more games, blooddrunk and maidenless devs mad with ambition. Elden Ring outsells the Military Industrial Complex's best annual attempts, 13+ million copies in 2 weeks, probably the first time a fantasy game has accomplished the feat in the 20 years since FPS became a shorthand term for gaming itself.

- Gran Turismo 7 rides Elden Ring's coattails but not too close, a remarkable return to significance for the trailblazing series that debuted 25+ years ago.

- Death Stranding, Grand Theft Auto 5, and Cyberpunk 2077, REsident Evil 2, 3, & 7 all jump onto modern hardware trying to reignite their own conversations. Ghostwire Tokyo embraces the weird and doesn't quite land, but it feels like experimentation in gaming is alive and well again.

- Nintendo Switch passes the lifetime sales of the PSX, no mean feat, and is the recipient of so many pieces of custom ported software per month that it may even climb higher. The Steam Deck also weighs in on the scene, mobile gaming ever more significant since 'the rona'.

- Bugsnax comes to Xbox. People are overheard talkin bout it.

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge continues the 8/16 bit brawler renaissance that Streets of Rage 4 (also new DLC) started. Gaming preservation and remake culture, once upon a time a complete afterthought of the industry, are now significant drivers of gaming sales and cross pollination. People WANT to play old games, people WANT to play old games made new, and people WANT to play new games made old. Intergenerational gaming dialogue has reached new heights of significance. Klonoa 2, Tactics Ogre, Live A Live, and Moon get contemporary versions for the first time in decades. Sonic Origins faceplants.

- Cuphead, Returnal, and Monster Hunter Rise each receive incredible DLC

- Stray reinvents cat-gaming to rapturous internet applause.

AND ONWARD

- 2022 will round out with Soul Hackers 2, Rollerdrome, more TMNT, unnecessary remakes, necessary remakes, more Plague Tale, more COD, the hilarious sinking of Skull and Bones, God of War Ragnarok, and the seemingly fantastic Callisto Protocol. I will also play Outer Wilds and Inscryption both for the first time on god's own thiccstation five in 2 weeks.

The games released these days are so much larger and more intricate, invested with so many moving parts, and sometimes take years to devour like Monster Hunter World, or benefit greatly from multiple long playthroughs, like Elden Ring. Some are so ahead of their time that they experience repeat cultural significance years after release, like Alien: Isolation. It becomes almost impossible to play all of the notable releases in a single year, no matter what kind of critical hype or streamer presence is egging you on. As with 1998 the industry is reforming before our very eyes, mammoth buyouts, long overdue labor actions, crossplatform play, console exclusives coming to pc, companies doubling down to secure talent in the face of creative burnout, other companies once thought invincible only a few years before now collapsing inward from the rigidity of their huge, exploitative, worldwide development structures...unable to adapt or respond flexibly to a changing market. The paradigm shift from print ads to tv ads has a new angle, the paradigm shift from web ads to streaming promotions. The tense psychology of public outreach from development house to audience reflects the rapid escalation of new forms of digital gaming commodities. The gaming public, long used to weathering consumer exploitation, becomes one of the first consumer affiliations to call bullshit on NFT money laundering. They've seen it all before.

I love video games.

------

I choose you, 2022! But, unfortunately, because 2022 isn't over yet I have to disqualify it on a technicality and choose 1998. When 2022 is over I'll be back here to edit my post and put it back on top.

1st place : :swoon: It's 1998 :swoon:
2nd place: :stwoon: It's 2022 :stwoon:
3rd place: n/a

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 2, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Let me be the first to vote for eventual winner: The Year of 1998.

:hmmyes:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are a ton of great candidates but I think my vote's probably going to 1994, 97, or 98. Though I think 98 probably beats 97 as much as my heart wants me to vote for "the year FFVII came out."

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I love that there's an escape velocity mention on the first page.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
E) misread

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

goons are old and therefore '98 will sweep (prolly deservedly), but 2022 is pr much the best gaming year of my life

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

fridge corn posted:

There is no argument that 1998 was the single best year in gaming as I'm sure most would agree.

I think that's why we're here lol

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

goons are old and therefore '98 will sweep (prolly deservedly), but 2022 is pr much the best gaming year of my life

THANK YOU. people bitch and moan about delays but recent years have been packed with too much to play

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think 1998 is pretty likely to get a lot of votes, but I know there's a lot of love for 2017 out there, too. That year had some real bangers, and even some games that are proving to perhaps have lasting influence (like Breath of the Wild).

I'd definitely be interested in a post about 2022's merits, though, whether that gets your actual vote or not. I know I've played a bunch of good games this year.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Is that just because of Elden Ring or did other games come out this year?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
1998 is good but it's no 2001, I think. Will have to get some thoughts together, but wonderful idea for a thread!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
going through metacritic is funny. the 32nd best game of 2011 is Dark Souls, just behind NBA 2K12

this isn't a "game journalists are dumb" thing it's fun to look at old lists and see what would rise and fall in retrospective rankings. in fairness it's incredibly hard for sports games to remain well regarded if they aren't NHL '94, Sensible World of Soccer or MVP Baseball 2005

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Call it recency bias but modern years beat out most of the favored best year choices due to the sheer volume of high quality games that come out. I'm still not sure if I'd rank years based on industry influence, influence on how they shaped my tastes, or just overall favorite

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

sirtommygunn posted:

Is that just because of Elden Ring or did other games come out this year?

Other games came out, and also games are longer these days and time is limited so I don't always get to play a year's games in the year of release.

'98 is a year that forever changed gaming, but those games were all 7 hours long lol and way less bang for the buck on average. still, it was the year where everyone was on the same page that gaming was getting insanely good...better than we could've imagined

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2022 is the year of the SRPG and the year of everyone making GBS threads on Square while they calmly release like 420 games

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've run the numbers and wow it turns out the best year for video games was the year when you were 16, what a result

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

I've run the numbers and wow it turns out the best year for video games was the year when you were 16, what a result

I was 16 in 2002 and that wasn't the best year ever, statement invalidated :colbert:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rarity posted:

I was 13 in 1998

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I think I will be boring and choose 1998 too, I didn't pick ALL those games right that year, but when your gaming schedule ping pongs between Starcraft, Half Life, Baldur's Gate, Myth 2 and Thief you know you have struck gold.
Thief in particular suckered me into a 20 years long fan mission rabbit hole.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its 1982, op. The Year Video Games Became. The year of Dig Dug, Gravitar, Mr. Do, Xevious, Ms Pac-Man AND Baby Pac-Man, Joust, Robotron. The year of Sokoban, Burger Time, Yars Revenge, Q*Bert, Donkey Kong Jr, Pitfall, Pengo, Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0. The year of the Atari 2600 versions of Pac Man and ET. The year of the Commodore 64, and the founding of Llamasoft, Electronic Arts, Enix, and Compile. The year Koei released both the first known JRPG in The Dragon and Princess AND the first known eroges.

There is no year, more important or influential in the realm of video games, or possessing as many timeless masterworks of gaming, than 1982. thread closed.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 8, 2022

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

homeless snail posted:

Its 1982, op. The Year Video Games Became. The year of Dig Dug, Gravitar, Mr. Do, Xevious, Ms Pac-Man AND Baby Pac-Man, Joust, Robotron. The year of Sokoban, Burger Time, Yars Revenge, Q*Bert, Donkey Kong Jr, Pitfall, Pengo, Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0. The year of the Atari 2600 versions of Pac Man and ET. The year of the Commodore 64, and the founding of Llamasoft, Electronic Arts, Enix, and Compile. The year Koei released both the first known JRPG in The Dragon and Princess AND the first known eroges.

There is no year, more important or influential in the realm of video games, or possessing as many timeless masterworks of gaming, than 1982. thread closed.

Sokoban listed as a positive, clearly this poster is out of their mind and should be shamed into the night

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

Sokoban listed as a positive, clearly this poster is out of their mind and should be shamed into the night
Did you know that 1982 is the 100th anniversary of the creation of Tower of Hanoi?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

homeless snail posted:

Did you know that 1982 is the 100th anniversary of the creation of Tower of Hanoi?

:chloe:

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

2001 hands down.

The console war went nuclear:
  • PS2 finally started punching its weight
  • Gamecube and Xbox were released.
  • Gameboy Advance was release in japan.

On the PC gaming side we saw Windows XP getting release which was a huge deal.

The games released would reshape gaming into what we know it as today (for better or worse). I mean this list alone should seal the deal for 2001.
  • Grand Theft Auto III
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Max Payne
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Tribes 2
  • Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
  • Ico
  • Dark Age of Camelot

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

seeing a variety of years getting posted with good arguments

:sickos:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Imagine celebrating a war...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

fridge corn posted:

Let me be the first to vote for eventual winner: The Year of 1998.

Yeah.

In addition to all the bangers on your list there's also Half Life and Thief, the Dark Project. '98 invincible.

Edit: and Descent Freespace?!?!

Edit 2:

With the new rules:

First place 1998
Second place 1982
Third place 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 9, 2022

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

98 also had Baldur's Gate, Banjo Kazooie, and Fallout 2. Truly GOTY (Greatest of the Years). That's why it gets my vote.

However, Harrow, I think in order to properly rank the years we should also be allowed to place a second-place vote. If that is allowed then my second place vote is for 2019, which saw:

- Sekiro, the best videogame of all time
- Baba is You, Goon-made best puzzle game of all time
- Untitled Goose Game, one of the few good games with a chaotic evil protagonist
- Death Stranding, the best collaborative walking sim of all time
- Slay the Spire, the game I love most out of the games that infuriate me most
- Control, which was just an artistic joy
- Outer Wilds, which was way better than Outer Worlds

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
776 BC is the best year. The Olympic games are a lot of fun, lots of the worlds best athletes performing at their best. It's dozens of games all rolled up into one so there is something for everyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games#Ancient_Olympics

If this is not acceptable I submit 1896 AD for the modern IOC governed Olympics for the same reason.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I'm going to go with 1999 for a few notable (but great) games.

-Silent Hill
-Planescape: Torment
-Freespace 2
-Ape Escape
-Age of Empires 2
-Age of Wonders
-Heroes of Might and Magic 3
-Might and Magic 7
-Dungeon Keeper 2
-System Shock 2
-Shenmue

and last but not least
-Super Smash Bros.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

However, Harrow, I think in order to properly rank the years we should also be allowed to place a second-place vote.

Hm, I could see this making sense. Is this just to avoid a situation where one year just gets an absolute snowball of votes and a lot of decent years don't even get mentioned? I could see that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Harrow posted:

Hm, I could see this making sense. Is this just to avoid a situation where one year just gets an absolute snowball of votes and a lot of decent years don't even get mentioned? I could see that.

Yeah, and folks won't have too much to add to 1998 and 2001 posts after a few posts. I wanna hear more weird game nostalgia, not less!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, I like it.

Let's say something like:

You can vote for up to three years. Your first-place choice gets 5 points. Second place gets 3 points. Third place gets 1. You don't have to use all three--if you just want to vote for one or two, that's fine. This applies retroactively so if anyone wants to add to their previous posts, please do. Please clearly label which is your first, second, and third choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
votes with my top 5 -

1st - 1994:
1) Doom II
2) Super Metroid
3) Earthbound
4) System Shock
5) XCOM
HMs: Sonic 3 + Knuckles, Donkey Kong Country, 2022 GOTY Live-A-Live, Final Fantasy III/VI

2nd - 2017:
1) Hollow Knight
2) SM: Odyssey
3) Prey
4) Yakuza 0 (EN release)
5) Nier: Automata
HMs: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dragon Quest XI (JP release), PUBG, Night in the Woods, What Remains of Edith Finch

3rd - 1997:
1) Riven: The Sequel to Myst
2) Final Fantasy VII
3) Fallout
4) Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
5) Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
HMs: Total Annihilation, Alundra, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Blood, The Last Express