Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Booky posted:

wait........

stardews Not 2017?????????

luckily the switch ver Is, so crisis averted :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

adhuin posted:

That's what we used to call a pre-rendered Bullshot.

Actual game image:

torpedoes worthy of the 1940s

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lots of bugs in rarity's posts could've been avoided if there was no crunch

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

This is a really good year, but man Brits know nothing. We have people queuing for 30+ hours right now to walk slowly past a box.

Oh, Microsoft released another console?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

lots of bugs in rarity's posts could've been avoided if there was no crunch

Mods are forcing me to post 20 hours a day plus weekends! This exploitation must not be allowed to stand!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

Mods are forcing me to post 20 hours a day plus weekends! This exploitation must not be allowed to stand!

quick boycott the thread :bandwagon:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Thread crunch is a celebrated part of the posting industry and we won't be making any changes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

excited for results, hella results

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We had the results 2000 won close the thread gg everyone

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Rarity posted:

With the PS2 now settled in on people’s shelves the games were beginning to flow thick and fast as we saw an endless treadmill of updates to beloved franchises such as Final Fantasy X (10), Silent Hill 2 (9) and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (10) but none would be more important than Grand Theft Auto III (10) who’s open world design would send shockwaves through the industry that are still felt to this day. There was originality to be found as well with Devil May Cry (8) introducing the world to character action and Ico (10) producing a true cult classic puzzler. Skate culture had always been strongly linked to the PlayStation brand and skate games had already appeared on Sony consoles but in Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3 (10) the sport had its banner game. For Nintendo it was a year of transition as the N64 was sunsetted with just enough time for Rare to deliver one last hit with Conker’s Bad Fur Day (9). In its place was the somewhat poorly-named Gamecube but with all of Nintendo’s most favoured franchises sitting out launch it was up to Pikmin (8) to shift units. There was room for a third challenger in the console market but to many people’s surprise it wasn’t going to be the Dreamcast which was quickly falling into obscurity. Instead there was a new kid on the block as Micosoft entered the industry with the XBox and its premium exclusive Halo (9) with its fast-paced gameplay that proved PCs weren’t the only home for the FPS. For years Sony and Nintendo had always served different audiences but now for the first time the PlayStation was facing a true challenger. The fight was on.

No mention of Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis. This is extremely shameful.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Budzilla posted:

No mention of Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis. This is extremely shameful.

Please forgive this grand oversight

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

It's a very major oversight. When players recall the OFP, the campaign mission where you are the last guy in your platoon and have to make your way to the evac somewhere north of Moreton on Everon is almost always brought up. It is a fantastic mission but it's not my favouite but it is one of many fine missions in the campaign. However there are many people who didn't play OFP for the single player campaign and played it for mods and multiplayer.

Within the limits of technology 20 years ago, this game did so much right and for anyone who had a PC to run it (32mb of RAM and a Hardware T&L video card) had so much entertainment to extract from it. It's successors may not have offered the same sort of out of the box value but their mods which lead to things like PUB:G and DayZ are noteworthy too. My point is we can crunch numbers all we like on what is the best game but a game like OPF transcends numbers. It might have dodgy voice acting, mission triggers that occasionally fail or an insufferable community; but that doesn't matter to what sort of product it is or what the community created from it.

One of my most difficult decisions in life was deciding whether I should buy Deus Ex: GOTY Edition or OFP Gold Edition at my local Harvey Norman with my limited income.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

would've expected more love for '95, '12 and '18...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

is harrow on the case?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I must tabulate!! I will try to have The Official Results by mid-next week. You may yell at me if they are late. :hai:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

im just going to yell at this cloud in the meantime :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo!! I forgot!! gently caress!!!

I don't know if I will have time this weekend to wrap up this thread but I will try!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
lol

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Year of the Year of the Game lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You wouldn't get this kind of sloppy operation from the Game of the Year thread :lofty:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:negative: I have brought shame upon the forums

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Didn't realize the bar could go even lower

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

You may yell at me if they are late. :hai:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxepWg_c7mU-BruFusTBgDWO7PzIS-Lg_j

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

when you think about it the real best gaming year is current year because you have access to all the previous years games

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
drat Harrow, he just made your entire thread worthless in one post

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lmao was not expecting Kyle Bosman

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

lmao was not expecting Kyle Bosman

Since he left Easy Allies he swears like a British gangster (not literally, but he does do a swell Dan Houser).

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 23, 2022

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I think the 2022 year of the game poll is going to turn out to be the best.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Whizzing Wizard posted:

when you think about it the real best gaming year is current year because you have access to all the previous years games

Except for Babylon's Fall

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

You wouldn't get this kind of sloppy operation from the Game of the Year thread :lofty:

Whizzing Wizard posted:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The best year for games is 2023

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Logically, the greatest year in games will be far off in the future, right before the total collapse of the New Steam World Order, where babies will be fed a steady in-vitro drip of Final Fantasy LXIX and Futa Mars Colony Diner Dash, before being hooked up to the entirety of the Valve Index Supernet (made with Meta™) catalogue at birth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm tabulating! The tabulation is nearly complete!

Results tomorrow! We'll be doing a countdown of the top 10 best years in gaming so far, as decided in an official, real, and binding fashion by Something Awful Video Games forum posters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

quitting my job now so i can watch these results unfold

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A bit of trivia to perhaps spark some discussion: here is the list of years that received zero votes. The earliest year to receive any votes as 1982, so I'm listing any years between 1982 and 2022 that nobody voted for at all. They are:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is interesting for sure. 2015 had a good few fan favs too.

On the 80s, the late 80s and early 90s ruled as we all know, NES classics all over the place etc. Mega Man going ham. Though Mega Man 2's US date is represented, via 89 getting voted in.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Of the missing years, from my own personal spreadsheet:

1990 had Secret of Monkey Island, Sim City, Loom and Star Control
1991 had Commander Keen in Goodbye, Galaxy, Populous 2, Lemmings, Monkey Island 2, Duke Nukem and Micro Machines
2006 is blank in my spreadsheet
2009 had Dragon Age: Origins, The Beatles: Rock Band and Uncharted 2
2014 had Dragon Age Inquisition
2015 had Pillars of Eternity
2020 had Monster Train and Hades

By my own personal metrics, 91 followed by 90 are the most unlucky to miss out on a single vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

wild that 2015 got no votes, it's one of the best years ever but maybe just low enough like unanimous 4th so that it doesn't rate at all