Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I think it is extremely presumptuous and pessimistic to assume that the best year in gaming is in the past, not the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

However we cannot see the future, and so we can only vote for the best year in gaming so far

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I have to go with 1995 as my number 1 pick

Chrono trigger
Warcraft 2
Secret of Evermore
Suikoden
Worms
Beyond Oasis

Lots of games pivotal to my childhood from that year. Chrono Trigger and Suikoden alone would have done it for me.

Pick #2

Star Control 2
Zelda ALTTP
Sonic 2

Pick #3

Chrono Cross
Deus Ex
Sims
Diablo 2
THPS 1 and 2
Soul Reaver

CapitalistPig fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 18, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I didn't play Suikoden until '98 but it hit the states in '96 and had really limited distribution

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

Realtalk how did you guys even get started with your lists, did you pick a game you liked and then looked up other games that came out that year?

I knew I wanted 2007 first, so I looked up the Wikipedia article. For my other two choices I looked up a few different years based on conversations with people, made shortlists, and then picked 2017 and 2001.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jay Rust posted:

Realtalk how did you guys even get started with your lists, did you pick a game you liked and then looked up other games that came out that year?

Gut feeling + the feeling of playing Half Life one week and Thief: The Dark Project the next week was quite frankly only matched by Doom + Doom LAN Party. But that year also had Starcraft and Descent Freespace and a whole bunch of other great poo poo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So when people vote are they only considering games that they have played personally or are they looking at the entire gaming landscape? :thunkher:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

2017 - the year of the modern classic

2017 wasn't a year of foundational genre defining games in the same way as '94 or '97 but it was a year stacked with games that refined themselves down to some of the highest expressions of their genres, producing some of the greatest modern classics in gaming like

- Super Mario Odyssey
- BOTW
- Resident Evil 7
- Persona 5
- Sonic Mania
- Hollow Knight
- Nier Automata
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Divinity: OS 2

In terms of knowing what you like already and just getting the absolute best possible version of that game to play I don't think there's ever been a gaming year as richly packed as 2017.

Also, completely aside from this thesis PUBG came out and set the world of fire and then Fortnite came out, stole most of its thunder, made twice as much again and made the battle royale genre a household name, whcih was kinda impressive I guess

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

First place is undoubtedly 1998. Look at this list of games, come on. Massively innovative and beloved titles that established the benchmarks for multiple genres for the next 2 decades of gaming. Am I really the first person to mention OoT? It established not only the 3D Zelda formula for the next 20 years, but action adventure games in general. Z-targeting, hello? Half-Life redefined the FPS in the same way, as did many of these other titles. Even the ones that weren't super innovative were extremely top notch.

1998:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
StarCraft
Thief: The Dark Project
Resident Evil 2
F-Zero X
Baldur's Gate
Mario Party
Marvel vs Capcom
Tekken 3 (on PS1)

Second place and very close is 2001 for similar reasons. The birth of the open world game with GTA3, the crystallization of the console FPS takeover via Halo, the awesome framework for character action games with Devil May Cry. Silent Hill 2, Ico, MGS2 and more being unforgettable games that were presenting new ideas, styles and artistic presentations that we hadn't really seen before in gaming.

2001:
Grand Theft Auto 3
Halo
Devil May Cry
Max Payne
Super Smash Bros Melee
Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear Solid 2
Ico
Diablo II: LOD
Gran Turismo 3
Final Fantasy X

Third place is 1994, which had games of absolute top notch quality, but not as much innovation as my other picks. Super Metroid and FF6 are still the best in their series, Earthbound is a transcendental experience. System Shock gave birth to the immersive sim genre on PC. Awesome year.

1994:
Super Metroid
Earthbound
Final Fantasy 6
System Shock
Tekken
Donkey Kong Country

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Rarity posted:

So when people vote are they only considering games that they have played personally or are they looking at the entire gaming landscape? :thunkher:

little of A, little of B

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tulip posted:

I think it is extremely presumptuous and pessimistic to assume that the best year in gaming is in the past, not the future.

Changing my votes to 2069, AD 2101, and in a bold move, the year 9001 op

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

These 1998 lists are sorely missing ‘Starsiege: Tribes’

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

my top 3 might just be 97,98 and 99.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I'm not the first to say it but I do want to reiterate it. 2004 was a bonkers year for gaming. Biased a little because it was when I graduated highschool, spent the summer in Japan, and then started making games, but still.

Nintendo DS
Sony PSP (in Japan)
Counter-Strike Source
Half-Life 2
Doom 3
Halo 2
GTA San Andreas
Pokemon Emerald / Fire Red / Leaf Green
Need for Speed Underground 2
Star Wars Battlefront
Dragon Quest VIII
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metroid Prime 2
Pikmin 2
Sims 2
and good ol' World of Warcraft

Banger after banger. Like, all timers, all within a few months of each other.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Doom 3 an all-timer? Hmmmph.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

2004 had MGS3, HalfLife2,WoW, San Andreas and DQ8, but on the other hand I was miserable for unrelated reasons, so it might be disqualified as a year.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Harrow posted:

• Hardware advancements that really pushed gaming forward in a meaningful way.

1947 was the year of the transistor, so... I pick 1947 :imunfunny:

Edit:

Rarity posted:

1947 was a banner year
:arghfist:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seeing only little mention of 2000 in here yet which amazes me

- Deus Ex, still possibly the greatest immersive sim ever
- Zelda: Majora's Mask, maybe one of the most interesting Nintendo games ever. Not many games, let alone "kids" games, depict NPCs grappling with their imminent deaths
- Diablo 2
- Counter-Strike was commercially released
- Age of Empires 2, maybe the 2nd most enduring RTS ever behind StarCraft. edit: oops. No. The Conquerers was released that year though.
- Thief 2
- Jet Set Radio, early use of cel-shading graphics which are now really common and have held up really well
- Skies of Arcadia, one of the most underrated JRPGs, very inspired and graphically cutting-edge for the time
- Perfect Dark, the benchmark of console FPSes before Halo
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, the peak of that series

There are other big ones in here like The Sims and FFIX but honestly I didn't play or care about them so not going to act like they're part of why I picked this year.

brap fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 9, 2022

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Rarity posted:

I looked at lists of all the games that came out in a specific year and the one I saw the most games I absolutely loved on I picked.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish I had you guys' confidence and ability to say "19XX year is THE YEAR 100%", every year I look at has bangers, or otherwise important games to me and the world of gaming. Asking myself "ok but has the MOST bangers, or the BEST bangers" but I can't answer that either

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

This year definitely did it for me. Whenever I look back at my fondest gaming memories, 1998 takes the crown by far. There have been other games, other marathons but I think '98 was when games started to experiment with graphics in ways that upped realism levels significantly compared to previous years.
There were so many influences, it was also the year I started buying PCGamer magazines every month and collecting the demo disks to get exposed to new games. I got to try stuff that never really made a lasting impact beyond that year and I had fun with those games too...
Some stuff I played that comes to mind:

-Metal Gear Solid
-Ocarina Of Time
-Goldeneye 007
-Grim Fandango
-FF7
-Half-Life (HUGE DEAL)
-Thief: The Dark Project - my first taste of immersive sims.
-Battlezone
-Railroad Tycoon II
-Unreal (The first Unreal felt like it was photorealistic compared to what was out at the time)
-Starsiege Tribes
-Starcraft
-Commandos
-Urban Assault
-Caesar III
-Shogo
-Heretic II
-Settlers III
-Myth II: Soulblighter - dwarven sappers tossing explosives and gibbing enemies was amazing.

Some of these games were hard and I didn't really "get" them until later years. Half Life and Unreal held most of my time as did Starcraft. My first taste of online play was mostly driven by Tribes. 1998 was the year that had me choosing gaming over anything else and it was the year with games I'd continue to revisit much later.

But these days as a grown 30 something adult I don't think a lot of these games would be as fun as they were when I was first exposed to them. Thinking back to the magic of it all at that age compared to now where I can buy anything I want on steam and there's always something new, it makes it hard to stick with any one game. Back then you had specific titles you'd wait for and play over and over again until the next one came out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jay Rust posted:

I wish I had you guys' confidence and ability to say "19XX year is THE YEAR 100%", every year I look at has bangers, or otherwise important games to me and the world of gaming. Asking myself "ok but has the MOST bangers, or the BEST bangers" but I can't answer that either

To me the question is deeper and more personal, like, when did you first become aware of huge social paradigm shifts in the industry compared to just another year with a list of great games. A lot of games from 98 don't get played as much these days but they landed like hurricanes in their moment and influenced things for decades to come rather than just being excellent sequels or whathaveyou.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Jay Rust posted:

You could concentrate on game changers instead. Like...

https://medium.com/@datapath_io/the-history-of-online-gaming-2e70d51ab437

https://www.techspot.com/article/650-history-of-the-gpu/

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Doom 3 an all-timer? Hmmmph.

It's really good (and really dark, meme etc)

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

I'm going to go with 1999 for a few notable (but great) games.

-Silent Hill
-Planescape: Torment
-Freespace 2
-Ape Escape
-Age of Empires 2
-Age of Wonders
-Heroes of Might and Magic 3
-Might and Magic 7
-Dungeon Keeper 2
-System Shock 2
-Shenmue

and last but not least
-Super Smash Bros.

Also these:
-Alpha Centauri
-Jagged Alliance 2
-EverQuest

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
2014 is the year of the game for three reasons: Deadly Rooms of Death: The Second Sky, Full Bore and The Talos Principle. They're all fantastic puzzle games, but what's truly striking to me is the way they cover each other's blind spots. between those three games I think you can get the full breadth of the best that the puzzle game genre can offer, and they have interesting narratives to boot. Every year since 2014 I've rated my favorite games of the year, and every year my conclusion is "That was some good poo poo, but it wasn't 2014"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Venuz Patrol posted:

2014 is the year of the game for three reasons: Deadly Rooms of Death: The Second Sky, Full Bore and The Talos Principle. They're all fantastic puzzle games, but what's truly striking to me is the way they cover each other's blind spots. between those three games I think you can get the full breadth of the best that the puzzle game genre can offer, and they have interesting narratives to boot. Every year since 2014 I've rated my favorite games of the year, and every year my conclusion is "That was some good poo poo, but it wasn't 2014"

This is a really interesting post because I would have never picked that year but having played a couple of these games casually I can see how a genre fan would enjoy them and how each offers something different.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm Surprised nobody has mentioned 1996 yet

Super Mario RPG (the best Final Fantasy game)
Super Mario 64 (still the standard for 3d platformers imo, still holds up, still a super popular speedrun game, etc)
Pokemon Red/Blue (Kicked off a franchise that became a worldwide phenomenon)
Diablo (Defined the arpg genre, though diablo ii did it much better. But it started here.)
Quake (another genre definer...)
Tomb Raider and Resident Evil (two more huge franchises still going strong to this day)

And also PaRappa the Rapper :v:

e: people want more years so I'll also say 2017 for Horizon Zero Dawn and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and 2022 for Horizon Forbidden West and Xenoblade Chronicles 3

e2: actually put 2022 as my second place vote and 2017 as my third place because even though HFW was better than HZD imo it was a much, much smaller gap than the one between XBC3 and XBC2

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 9, 2022

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Team Fortress 2
Portal
Super Mario Galaxy
Peggle
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Rock Band
BioShock
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Crysis
Assassin's Creed

The Orange Box came out this year, solidifying valve's stranglehold on digital distribution for years to come. With this came a re-release of Half-life Two: Episode 2 (2006) and the biggest timesink of my life, Team Fortress 2. Literal thousands of hours i've sunked in trying to get my grades as low as possible. Ten years later and it turns into the free2play hat simulator we all hate, but man, it was an incredible monster banger in its heyday. Also puzzler Portal shows how much valve values creating slick, exciting games when they want to.

Mario made its debut on the wii with Super Mario Galaxy, which is wild that no-one has mentioned this before. A beautiful game that made 3d platform work well with a, to me, clunky pointer controller.

Yeah I played peggle. :colbert: Sure it came with the orange box but it was addictive enough that I couldn't stop myself from playing. I can still here the fanfare blaring Ode to Joy when you won a level... I'm sure you can too.

I haven't played Recettear but I know goons went hard for it. So it made the list.

Remember that little plastic guitar controller? Yeah, that came out this year. Rock Band is favored by nerds because you can pretend to be cool by badly fingering Through the Fire and Flames. Sure it's a nerd game for nerds, definitely not me, but man did it ever leave a mark.

BioShock. Oh BioShock. Did this game start dystopian steam punk genre or did it solidify it? Who cares when you can zap children with your heroin powers.

Now I didn't play Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare but a lot of other people did. AND they liked it?! Well ok then. I don't think you can even rocket jump in this game? Lame.

Crysis. Did as much for the development for physics engines as it did emptying wallets. As such I never wanted to play it out of principle. I have to buy a brand spanking new graphics card for a game?! No thanks, I'll just keep playing TF2. A lot of people disagreed with me anyway.

Do you know Assassin's Creed? I've never heard of it.

----

And that's why I think 2007 is the best year for games.
Well actually it's just because tf2 came out that year and I had to pad my mentions a little, but don't let that stop you from voting for 2007.

edit: 2nd year goes to 1999, 3rd is for 2017

2Fast2Nutricious fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 10, 2022

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think 1st has gotta go to 2017, primarily on the strength of, y'know, everything.
The mix of Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata, and Hollow Knight is extraordinarily hard to beat! Splatoon 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Divinity 2, Wolfenstein 2, Prey, Sonic Mania, Resident Evil 7, and Cuphead are all also great, and PUBG and Fortnite aren't my thing but they dramatically changed the entire multiplayer shooter market.

2nd is 2007: Mass Effect, Portal, TF2, Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, and Super Paper Mario are all just really good or important games!

I would very narrowly give 3rd to 1998: Ocarina of Time and FF7 are the only games here that I think are actually all that fun to play anymore with how far games have advanced, but there's so many that started famed and celebrated franchises (Starcraft, Metal Gear Solid, Half-Life) or were really solid otherwise (Goldeneye 007, Unreal, Banjo-Kazooie) that it takes it on impact.

Barely missing out is 2004, between MGS3, San Andreas, 3rd gen Pokemon, WoW, and Half-life 2. Better games than 1998, but not enough to make up for the impact.

HMs to 2019, because I love Outer Wilds that much, and 1999, because I love Planescape: Torment nearly as much as Outer Wilds.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'll just put down two years that had games that blew my mind when they came out. And to echo a comment a few posts up, back then you had a handful of games that you played a lot, so these are all seared into my memory, some more and some less.

Year of the game #1: 1998

Yes, put me in the pile :eng99: But come on. Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate were amazing at the time, and especially BG was pretty :eyepop: with its beautiful hand-drawn maps and spiffy sprite dudes and dudettes :3: I had played Fallout 1 quite a bit right after it came out, but 2 just had more of everything, in good and ill.

Then there was Half-life, and everyone who was there knows why it was a big deal. And while it's not 1998 directly, CS was a big LAN party hit that would not have been without Half-life, so :toot:

And as the other 1998 lists in this thread show, there were a lot of defining titles in other genres as well.

Year of the game #2: 1996

This year had a couple games that I sank a stupid amount of hours into as a kid, I'm sort of glad there wasn't a Steam-equivalent back then to record the amount. But anyway, Master of Orion 2 and Settlers 2 were incredible when they released, and MoO2 had multiplayer! :popeye: And there's Duke 3D, which I liked better than Doom (:ohdear:), and that too was a big hit for LAN gaming. And Tomb Raider was also a blast, there was even a T-rex! I also liked Bad Mojo and Toonstruck, but adventure games only have so much replay value.

Can't really pick a definite #3, but that's okay, there's been a lot of good gaming years.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's all in the numbers. Number one? That's 2000. Number two? That's 2000.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

EVERYONE, PUT THREE YEARS IN YOUR POSTS

:) :respek: :)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought it was up to 3

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Yeah but the results will be more interesting with more votes

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

3rd: 2017 I really toyed with putting this up there because holy poo poo what a set of games, but ultimately I'm here to be subjective.
Horizon: Zero Dawn: An absolutely gripping story, told masterfully, joined with the best monster hunting system anyone has ever made.
Nier Automata: it's not often a game makes me tear up a little but wow Yoko Taro, way to rip my heart out and dance on it a bit before carefully placing it back in, stitching me up, and kissing it better.
Hellblade: I've never played anything with an atmosphere quite like this.
Total Warhammer 2: it's the best Total Warhammer at this point, a whole bunch of fun factions and systems.
XCOM 2: WOTC: I'm not a big tactics guy but I couldn't stop with this one. When it goes right it's so good.
Prey: I don't know if it's Arkane's best, but it's really loving good, everything about it is so tightly crafted to balance tension, the power curve, the opening up of the map, and the narrative itself all moving at the perfect pace.
AC Origins: This is the best designed open world anyone has ever made. Just an enormous collection of amazing environments to explore, while still making total sense as an actual working place rather than a homogenised soup of equally spaced map icons.
Shadow of War: Why have they not done anything else with the nemesis system? It's just so, so, so good. Also I loving love some Tolkein.

2nd: 2010 This is where I first started PC gaming, when I first started properly buying and choosing my own games. I picked an incredible year for it. And I played some console games too!
Mass Effect 2: I know, I know, but I just love Mass Effect. There's no enemy quite like the reapers, no heist quite like the suicide mission, and no whizzy spaceships quite so totally rad as the Normandy. Just typing this has me looking at whether I have hard drive space for the Legendary edition.
Fallout New Vegas: The first Steam game I ever bought. I think I've got more hours in this than any single player game except maybe Terraria.
Starcraft 2: First and foremost it's the game that got me into esports, and still my favourite one to watch even as the pro scene is fading. It's also genuinely an extremely good single player (and now co-op!) RTS.
Halo: Reach: The last good Halo game. It's just a tonne of fun to play and still has that distinct Halo feel. The campaign is also genuinely pretty powerful stuff. Survive.
Super Meat Boy: gently caress this game. 10/10.
Just Cause 2: The best school trip I ever went on, we stayed at a hostel which had a console and we just spent every spare moment passing the controller around blowing poo poo up. I still think it's just about the most fun game available for sheer chaos.
Bayonetta: I'm reaching here because apparently it was 2009 in Japan and 2010 in the rest of the world, but come on, it's Bayonetta.

1st: 2004 I'll be honest, a lot of this is nostalgia that's putting this here.
Halo 2: It's the best Halo. Maybe not my favourite, but it's the best.
Rome: Total War: it's been surpassed at this point, but for a very long time this was the strategy game to me.
GTA: San Andreas: I did not played this at the time because I was a small child, but what a banger of a game, except for the rc mission.
Burnout 3: As much as I love Paradise, there's nothing quite like loading this up and really getting into the destroying everything thing.
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal: setting aside the excellent pun, I love R&C and this is a great entry. A tonne of fun guns, places to explore, and showers of bolts to hoover up in an incredibly satisfying way.
Sid Meier's Pirates!: It's still the best pirate game that exists. Why has no-one done it again yet? I would pay so much.
KOTOR2: Controversial but I prefer this to KOTOR 1. Darth Nihilus is still the coolest sith around.
NFS Underground 2: Fantastic racing game, banging soundtrack, I keep looking at new NFS games and they just can't compare.
Battle For Middle Earth: Did I mention I loving love some Tolkein? I mostly blame this game. When I ran downstairs on a saturday morning to get my 45 minutes on my dad's laptop this was what I played.
Painkiller: It's got a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning. Play it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
They're all good gaming years, OP.

If I had to pick I'd either go with

EDIT:
My top years order:
1: 1993
2: 1999
3: 1989

1989:

DuckTales, Hugely replayable maps with secrets and kickass music. Perfect nes-era platformer.

SimCity, OG citybuilder. Really fun to do big cities, SAVE and then destroy them with catasthropes.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles both (nes) & (Arcade), - Great platformers, NES version was a great single-player and Arcade was amazing 4 player co-op gameplay.

North & South, - Fun arcade wargame. Switching between unit-types to try best identical opponent was really fun and the strategy map had real depth too.

Prince of Persia, - Best of the puzzle-platformers. a Real classic.

Minesweeper (lol), - You may not like it, but this is what peak gaming looks like. Lot of time wasted, while playing minesweeper at office.

Rick Dangerous, - Bit more obscure Amiga platformer in spirit of Indiana Jones movies.

River City Ransom, - Beat-em-up classic

Stunt Car Racer, - Fun arcade-car game with '3-d'-graphics and a map builder.

Super off Road - Fun arcade top-down driver. The arcade machine with 3 wheels made for real hectic match-ups.

or
1993:

Sam & Max Hit the Road, - Lot of classic adventure games in 1993 and this is the 2nd funniest one. Lucas arts was the best.

Doom, - Still kicks as in virtually any cpu-platform. 4 player splitscreen on Xbox is real fun way to enjoy this classic.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, - Sierra's best adventure game series. Real great adventure mood around the New Orleans and Tim Curry is perfect as Gabriel.

Day of the Tentacle, - The best game of all time. ALL TIME. Not biased at all.

Virtua Fighter, - Champion of the early 3d-fighters. No more fireballs, only real martial arts and fighters. Ok, there's ninja, an android and a pro-wrestler, but still. My favourite fighter-series.

Master Of Orion - Grandfather of the 4X-strategy games and still one of the best ones. Silicoids are best, nuff said.

Cannon Fodder, - Classic RTS-like squad action game. Lot of expendable troops that die and leave permanent gravemarker on your level select screen, while new recruits come up the road to be Cannon Fodder.

The Lost Vikings, - A Team puzzle game. Real fun one and one of the better Blizzard games from the time they made original games.

Mortal Kombat II, - Big improvement on the violent 'adult' fighting games format. I preferred these of Street fighters, because there were less bullshit fireball stuff. Also the fatalities were cool.

The Settlers - One of the original great city builders. You made road network and optimized production chains and slowly conquered the map. Settlers series are real chill games.

OR

King of Dragon Pass - This game made love the Glorantha and get lot of the Runequest/Heroquest rpg books. The world is just so greatly realized and managing my tribe is never about making numbers go bigger. It is always how to make best choices for my people. That's why I have played this game so many times and only won the campaign once. Always pick on the ducks.
never pick on the ducks

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - The best civilization game and the most quotable one. The faction personalities carry this game with their differing philosophies. Chairman Yang is the best leader and I will nerf staple everyone who disagrees.

Jagged Alliance 2 - Speaking of characters. These mercenaries have them plenty. They have likes, dislikes and hates and you cannot have everyone on the same team. Liberating Arulco province by province with your crack team of mercenaries never gets old.

Silent Hill - The first actually scary Resident Evil clone. Still my favourite series for both the horror aspect and for the hard puzzles it had.

The Longest Journey - One of the smaller adventure games from time, when no one else was doing them. April Journey from near futuristic earth to a fantastic world. This one was a real treat to play.

Gabriel Knight III: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned - Well almost no one was doing adventure games. This one was also a 'last' huzzah for a dying genre. The mix of real life french mystery and fantastical elements. The free floating camera system was a real innovation and it's a shame that later adventure games didn't adopt it. This one had some epic puzzles.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Another genre father. Fast-paced arcade fun in 2 minute sequences. Real fun to try to beat friends scores.

Planescape Torment - What can change a nature of a man? This was a Real philosophical mind-trip for teen me. Baldur gates were 'ok' fun, but this one really made me think and consider my actions on another level. It was technically an ADD-game, but most of the experience was gained from quests, so no need for grinding. Also the companions were real personalities and the world mysterious.

Discworld Noir - Technically a 3rd game of a 'dying genre'. This was a first Discworld game with a completely original story. A detective story, A Noir story, that still felt like a real Discworld story. Really funny and clever.

The Typing of the Dead - This one wasn't clever at all. It was a on-rail shooter, a literally House of the Dead game, except it wasn't played with a light-gun. Instead you typed your attacks on keyboard. On easier modes you needed to type simpler words floating around like 'Smash', 'Orange' or 'Succulent'. On harder modes you needed to type sentences like 'Peas are good for you'. a Real fun typing game.

Pretty much all years have great games:

top 3:
1986: The Legend Of Zelda, Bubble Bobble, Arkanoid
1987: Sid Meier's Pirates!, Punch-Out!!, Nethack
1988: Super Mario Bros 3, Mega Man 2, R.C. Pro AM
1990: The Secret of the Monkey Island, Super Mario World, Ducktales (pc, Amiga)
1991: Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past, Another World.
1992: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Star Trek 25th Anniversary(PC), Alone in the Dark
1994: X-Com: Ufo Defense, Final Fantasy VI, Warcraft
1995: Chrono Trigger, Soul Blade/edge, Mortal Kombat III
1996: Quake, Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars, Diablo
1997: Fallout, Final Fantasy VII,
1998: Grim Fandango, Thief, Fallout II
2000: Deus Ex, Diablo II, Zelda: Majora's Mask.
and so on...

Issaries fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 16, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

wuggles posted:

EVERYONE, PUT THREE YEARS IN YOUR POSTS

:) :respek: :)

Ok I added two more years to my post just for you

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

brap posted:

Seeing only little mention of 2000 in here yet which amazes me

I said 2000 in the chat thread when this first came up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I typed "what year did gravitar come out" into google