Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
This thread tickles people's nostalgia glands, so into this list of great years, I'm going to nominate 1982. I'm biased because of my favorite computer games, but it was Atar's best year (before it all went to poo poo), and the arcades had some memorable, timeless classics

Computer Games
-Choplifter (Apple II)
-Dungeons of Daggorath, one of my all-time favorites, was released for the TRS-80. A first-person real-time RPG ala Eye of the Beholder, you say?
-Microsoft Flight Simulator (MS-DOS)
-Ultima II (Apple II)
-Wizardry II

Atari 2600 Games
-Haunted House
-Pitfall
-Yar's Revenge

Arcade Games
-Dig Dug
-Donkey Kong Jr
-Joust
-Millipide
-Pole Position
-Q*bert
-Robotron 2064
-Sinistar
-Tron
-Tutankham
-Zaxxon

1982 was also the year the Commodore 64 came out, which sold like gangbusters and would amass a ridiculously huge library of games on its own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Jay Rust posted:

Realtalk how did you guys even get started with your lists, did you pick a game you liked and then looked up other games that came out that year?
Mostly, but besides my favorite (Dungeons of Daggorath) I knew 1982 was busy; the arcades at animatronic pizza joints, bowling allies were full of games. E.T. the Extraterrestrial was released for the 2600 (well, that wasn't a good thing), but we had a spooky survival game,a classic side-scrolling shooter, and a ton of other games. Those I had to look up.

I don't know how different my life would have been with a Commodore 64 instead of a Trash 80, but the 64 was a pivotal moment for a lot of folks which would love playing computer games.

The mid to late eightees should be better represented too, thanks to the NES and eventually the SNES, and the early 90's breathed life into PC gaming. I'm sure someone is looking up when Tradewars 2002 and other BBS games came out and introduced neighborhood kids to early online gaming.