Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Having trouble ranking these years but I'll go:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I finally got to play a Star Wars RPG. I agree that KOTOR 2 is better, but that year didn't have as many supporting games for me.
Beyond Good & Evil. This is the closest any game has come to capturing what made Little Big Adventure and LBA2 so great, for me. Also I didn't have room for the years those two came out because, again, not as much came out those years that I liked.
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. I was so mad when Assassin's Creed came out and wasn't basically a continuation of that kind of game. Forget this open world, run at a wall and hold 'up' nonsense. I want to be made to think about how to use the environment to climb into the next area.
SSX 3. I actually preferred this to SSX Tricky, just because of the bonkers amount of options. Love holding a combo for the entire trip down a mountain, only to lose it all when I try an overly ambitious jump with just one too many flips. Zoe is the best.
NBA Street Vol 2. For much the same reason as SSX 3, just styling on my opponents until I break their spirit by dunking from halfway.
Silent Storm. XCOMish except also there's really cool 3D environment destruction and you can collapse houses on people.

Not as many games here, but some of them are absolute all timers.

Mass Effect 2. I actually preferred number 3 overall, but on the other hand number 2's ending was better.
Rock Band 3. I'm one of those idiots who bought all the expensive peripherals, including a stringed guitar and proper electronic drum kit. I have so many hours and so much money spent on this fake music game.
Alpha Protocol. Absolutely the best example of reactivity to choices in a video game ever. Shame about the bugs, hey Microsoft buy the license and give us a remaster. Or give us Archer Protocol, either way.
Fallout: New Vegas. It's the best Fallout game.

I had a look through the wiki list and I didn't find any other games I really care about, but even just with RB3, AP and FONV it belongs on my list.

Nostalgia is doing a bit of heavy lifting, here.

Lemmings 2: The Tribes. I think most people didn't love this one but I did, I put hours and hours into it and I saved all 12 Lemmings tribes, even the sports lemmings who had this one really annoying level where I had to click on someone while there was an unconscious lemming behind him hogging the cursor.
Day of the Tentacle. This may be the single most quotable video game of all time, and my siblings and I still quote bits of it at each other.
Sam and Max Hit the Road. More streamlined adventure game experience, still an extremely excellent game.
Syndicate. Running around with a persuadatron and gathering an army of civilians, cops and enemy gang members is a ridiculous experience.
Sim City 2000. Dunno why more town planners don't simply put a mountain with a waterfall on it in the corner of their city, then free hydro power for all. Big jump up from OG Sim City, and fun at the end just covering the whole screen with Arcos.
Duke Nukem II. I don't care about the 3D nonsense that happened later, the platformers were the definitive Duke experience.
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. Actually kinda hard as heck and frustrating and I don't think I ever finished, but it was still p. great.
Master of Orion. Number 2 was better, but this laid the ground work.
NBA Jam. I remember wasting so many 2 dollar coins on one of these machines. It's no NBA Street, but it's still p. cool.
Pirates! Gold. Someone else already mentioned a Sid Meier's Pirates game released in a different year; I guess it's had two rereleases. Anyway, it's one of the best pirate games of all time, highly recommend.
The Settlers. Not sure if I ever actually played the full version of this, but we had a demo disc with a 1 hour version of it that we played over and over again.
Transarctica. One of the weirdest ideas for a game ever, you're basically in a post apocalyptic world with a steam engine. Never got very far because it was quite hard, but it was just such an interesting world.
Ultima Underworld II. Probs the Ultima game that has aged the best.
Ultima VII Part Two. Never got that far in this one but I absolutely smashed part 1. I will never play either again, but they were such amazing games at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The guys with the brains are the best actually.

EDIT: Psilons

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I was 11 years old in my number one year, but I probably got those games several years after the fact. 28 in second place year. 21 in third place year.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Of the missing years, from my own personal spreadsheet:

1990 had Secret of Monkey Island, Sim City, Loom and Star Control
1991 had Commander Keen in Goodbye, Galaxy, Populous 2, Lemmings, Monkey Island 2, Duke Nukem and Micro Machines
2006 is blank in my spreadsheet
2009 had Dragon Age: Origins, The Beatles: Rock Band and Uncharted 2
2014 had Dragon Age Inquisition
2015 had Pillars of Eternity
2020 had Monster Train and Hades

By my own personal metrics, 91 followed by 90 are the most unlucky to miss out on a single vote.