Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
2017 is th e best. very clearly. heres a list of some 2017 games.

breath of the wild
mario odyssey
hollow knight
persona 5
nier automata
prey
sonic mania
pubg
yakuza 0
warhammer 2
nioh
divinity os 2
edith finch
ff14 stormblood
horizon zero dawn
cuphead
re7
night in the woods
hellblade
injustice 2
wolfenstein tnc
destiny 2
evil within 2
splatoon 2
pyre
samus returns
xenoblade chronicles 2
shadow of mordor
death of the outsider
observer
gts
guilty gear xrd rev 2
forza 7
pokemon ultra sumo
dangnanronpa 3
tekken 7
puyo puyo tetris
slime rancher
etrian odyssey v
a hat in time
tales of beseria
tacoma
dead cells
golf story
ddlc
oxygen not included
everspace
outlast 2
detention

nothing else comes close, and the idea anything does is laughable and fueled by nostalgia onne can only assume. god tier entries in long running series, genre creating and defining titles. games you would pick 100 times out of 10 over playing some 90s mess thhat couldnt even understand how a camera should work. truly the best yea rever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
mine is from 5 years ago. my second choice would be 2019 from 3 years ago. im unblinded by nostaglia

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Heavy Metal posted:

It's all fun, though I find nostalgia gets a bad rap lately. Plus, on youth vs recency bias, I don't think picking stuff from the past 5 years is inherently more legit. If anything you'd wanna be able to fully appreciate decades of stuff for its time, if you're selecting the finest years ever. If the latest greatest is always ranked highest, kinda takes the art out of ranking a longer time period.

(I did do that though, but tried to spread out the three picks.)

But games do age a bit differently than other mediums, and it is an interesting phenomenon. I tried to include a mix of eras, but it all ended up being from this century. I do love 90s and NES games though naturally.

gaming is too new for that, everything is recent

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the whole "your favorite was when you were 16" talk annoys me, people are perfectly capable of critically looking at stuff lol

generally theyre not

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
that is also a discussion op. to ask if nostalgia is playing a part and pushing people to analyze what specifically makes them feel that way. otherwise its not a discussion its just various lists with the only responses being "yup. that was good."

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
its called justifying not defending. it also seems like a salient point to make when specifically talking about the subject of the thread.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
the golden age is now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Deformed Church posted:

Yeah I'm looking through 2014 and it's a very B tier year, at least on the non-indie end. There's a lot of good games but nothing really great. Like, Dark Souls 2, Destiny, Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, Titanfall, Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein TNO, COD; AW from the big names. Alien Isolation and SoM are honestly the only two games which stand out as being more than good.

Great year for indies and smaller publishers though - Shovel Knight, Child of Light, Banner Saga, Divinity Original Sin, Transistor, OlliOlli, and Talos Principle.

And Hearthstone, which is still the biggest CCG about, although it probably doesn't make many general gamers' lists since it's ultimately a pretty niche thing.

ds2 pwns noob

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The consensus GOTY of 2012 was The Walking Dead which - even if people liked that more at the time, 2012 was not great for major releases.

thats clearly a game journalists are morons issue because theres no way taht game should be ahead of journey, spec ops, sleeping dogs and dragons dogma

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
look i dont like dragons dogma but its about being impartial and saying: theres no way on this planet that the walking dead shouldve been goty over any of those.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
unironically a better pick than the walking dead

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
thanks

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
theh most notable of these came from epic, and was released in this year. wont include it whowever. also mario odyssey somehow isnt 10 and pubg is 6 for some reason. sham list.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
aslo who on earth would mention pyre instead of cuphead for a 2017 indie

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Rarity posted:

PUBG got picked over Fortnite cause it was the originator and it got a 6 cause it's not very good

Fortnite would have got the same score :ssh:

if you think pubg is a 6 and horizon zero dawn is somehow on the same tier as super mario odyssey i would contend your mehtodology is cringe and fail.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
if we take the real top 10 games of 2017 we get a much different picture than the one painted here

super mario odyssey 10
botw 10
hollow knight 10
persona 5 10
nier a 10
prey 10
sonic mania 10
pubg 10
yakuza 0 10
cuphead 10

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
yup, the fix is in

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
u saw the result with the top tier of 2017 in place and switched them to keep 2000 on top as thats when ff9 released. pretty simple deduction really. hence why the pubg 6 and the shaving down of perfect games like prey and super mario oddyssey, startling lack of games like sonic mania, cuphead, persona 5, yakuza 0 etc. transparent really.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Rarity posted:

Persona 5 came out in 2016 :eng101:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
your kingdom lies in ruins by my hand. draw your blade and let us dance.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
all freethinkers will see i am correct, as will god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
once 1998 is discounted due to old boomer goons being nostalgia clouded we can see 2017 takes its rightful number one place. congratulations 2017