Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

fridge corn posted:

Let me be the first to vote for eventual winner: The Year of 1998.

Yeah.

In addition to all the bangers on your list there's also Half Life and Thief, the Dark Project. '98 invincible.

Edit: and Descent Freespace?!?!

Edit 2:

With the new rules:

First place 1998
Second place 1982
Third place 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jay Rust posted:

Realtalk how did you guys even get started with your lists, did you pick a game you liked and then looked up other games that came out that year?

Gut feeling + the feeling of playing Half Life one week and Thief: The Dark Project the next week was quite frankly only matched by Doom + Doom LAN Party. But that year also had Starcraft and Descent Freespace and a whole bunch of other great poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Doom 3 an all-timer? Hmmmph.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Venuz Patrol posted:

2014 is the year of the game for three reasons: Deadly Rooms of Death: The Second Sky, Full Bore and The Talos Principle. They're all fantastic puzzle games, but what's truly striking to me is the way they cover each other's blind spots. between those three games I think you can get the full breadth of the best that the puzzle game genre can offer, and they have interesting narratives to boot. Every year since 2014 I've rated my favorite games of the year, and every year my conclusion is "That was some good poo poo, but it wasn't 2014"

This is a really interesting post because I would have never picked that year but having played a couple of these games casually I can see how a genre fan would enjoy them and how each offers something different.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bell_ posted:

The mid to late eightees should be better represented too,

Eh, the problem here is that there just isn't enough juice in this time period to do really interesting stuff. Also many of the games from this period have, quite honestly, aged terribly. Specifically thinking of dogshit Sierra adventure games and stuff like SWAT or Need for Speed (the original original) or the janky strategy games or the zillions of forgettable NES side-scrollers. I remember the period fondly but I'm never going to go back to play Epyx Summer Games or King's Quest 2.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Red Rox posted:

Would be interesting to know what age people where in their #1 year and see if there’s a trend.

Like how often your favorite songs are from when you were 15-16.

I'm sure it is but my favorite year is from when I was 22. Second favorite year is from when I was 6 (but the games in this year had a long tail and huge impact and had a big effect on me in the following years).

Honestly the 80s are pretty underrepresented in here, but I assume this is account on most people simply not being alive or being toddlers during that decade. What can you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

My all time greatest gaming experience is going to the Chuck E Cheese and seeing Dragon's Lair in 1983, but that wasn't a great year for gaming. Atari wasn't cutting the mustard anymore and the NES wasn't out.