Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
quoting my 1994 list

1) Doom II
2) Super Metroid
3) Earthbound
4) System Shock
5) XCOM

(also: FF3/6, 2022 GOTY Live-A-Live, Sonic 3+Knuckles, Donkey Kong Country 1, Jagged Alliance. There's also TES: Arena, Virtua Fighter 1, and Warcraft: Orcs and Humans on the "really influential but I wouldn't really play them today" list)

What gets me isn't the quality but the influence here. It's hard to make an indie game that isn't a pure walksim/VN that doesn't touch at least one of these. Most retro FPSes at least attempt to be either Doom II or Quake, and I don't think the influence that Super Metroid or Earthbound have on modern games, especially indies has to be explicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
1994 also had Ridge Racer, which isn't a GOTY because it has like, one track, but had the GOAT soundtrack because this was the era of every arcade VGM composer deciding that club music was cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3bhNLtXvHA

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
E) misread

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
going through metacritic is funny. the 32nd best game of 2011 is Dark Souls, just behind NBA 2K12

this isn't a "game journalists are dumb" thing it's fun to look at old lists and see what would rise and fall in retrospective rankings. in fairness it's incredibly hard for sports games to remain well regarded if they aren't NHL '94, Sensible World of Soccer or MVP Baseball 2005

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2022 is the year of the SRPG and the year of everyone making GBS threads on Square while they calmly release like 420 games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

homeless snail posted:

Did you know that 1982 is the 100th anniversary of the creation of Tower of Hanoi?

:chloe:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
votes with my top 5 -

1st - 1994:
1) Doom II
2) Super Metroid
3) Earthbound
4) System Shock
5) XCOM
HMs: Sonic 3 + Knuckles, Donkey Kong Country, 2022 GOTY Live-A-Live, Final Fantasy III/VI

2nd - 2017:
1) Hollow Knight
2) SM: Odyssey
3) Prey
4) Yakuza 0 (EN release)
5) Nier: Automata
HMs: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dragon Quest XI (JP release), PUBG, Night in the Woods, What Remains of Edith Finch

3rd - 1997:
1) Riven: The Sequel to Myst
2) Final Fantasy VII
3) Fallout
4) Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
5) Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
HMs: Total Annihilation, Alundra, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Blood, The Last Express

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i would simply cheat with the release dates to make your selection look as good as possible

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i cheated by using the JP release date of Dragon Quest XI and the EN release date of Yakuza 0 for the same year and i will not apologize

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i wrote something up generally for 1994 but i should do so for the other years it's just that unlike 1994's roster of incredibly influential games, i have problems coming up with anything but "wow! lots of good games!"

that said Riven is absolutely the best puzzle-adventure game ever made and i badly want a port, but they lost the original CGI art assets apparently

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jay Rust posted:

It's hard to gauge the Impact more recent games will have, imo it is only fair to completely remove Impact as a marker of year quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i had thought about this before so 1994 and 2017 were already the two off the top of my head

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tulip posted:

I think it is extremely presumptuous and pessimistic to assume that the best year in gaming is in the past, not the future.

Changing my votes to 2069, AD 2101, and in a bold move, the year 9001 op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought it was up to 3

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked looking at old GOTY lists and shout-out to the one who complained that there wasn't anything new and exciting in games and everything was sequels or remakes, while writing a 2011 top 25 list which didn't include Dark Souls, literally the most influential game of the decade except maybe PUBG

also shoutouts to the Gamasutra voters who voted for Solatorobo: Red the Hunter, and Groove Coaster for 2011 GOTY

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Daikatana was worthwhile for producing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8SC7z8W134

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
isn't Space Invaders still, adjusted for inflation, the most profitable video game ever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the whole "your favorite was when you were 16" talk annoys me, people are perfectly capable of critically looking at stuff lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

generally theyre not

then why bother discussing anything then lol. usually i see this when people are discussing stuff they like/don't like and someone just barges in like 'actually your favorite was when you were 16 years old' or some poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that kind of thing tends to be a negative discussion because people will be pushed to defend themselves instead of defending the stuff they like.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
late 16-bit and late ps4/switch era are my favs op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2012 was notably bad for major releases though indies were good and Spleunky is an all time perfect game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Whatever year that Shadow of Mordor won Goty on Giant Bomb was probably a really bad year for new game releases

The consensus GOTY of 2012 was The Walking Dead which - even if people liked that more at the time, 2012 was not great for major releases.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

thats clearly a game journalists are morons issue because theres no way taht game should be ahead of journey, spec ops, sleeping dogs and dragons dogma

please do not bait me into a spec ops the line flamewar

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
correct. the correct GOTY was Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm not joking even, it's kind of become the "last good one" by people who got burned out on COD and while that kinda thing is kinda suspect, it's kinda where I fall too.

the campaign owned too lol getting Oliver North irl to star in a game about the CIA being idiots and ruining everything

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
glad we determined that the winner is 1994. Close thread

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
pubg is probably the most historically important game of the last decade that isn't named Dark Souls, depending on what release date you give Minecraft. anyway it's not like historical influence has to be a criterion

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the japanese release of DQ 11 was in 2017......... my god

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yikes. guess we should gas this thread knowing that 1994 is the greatest year in gaming history

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Glad that 1994 is the winner

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2007 is interesting because 2006 was so notably awful. I think that's actually kind of a trend if you don't have great launch lineups with a new console and a lot of my favorite years like 1994 were the late years of generations

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Epic tie for first place for 1994. What a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fail year