Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

2017 - the year of the modern classic

2017 wasn't a year of foundational genre defining games in the same way as '94 or '97 but it was a year stacked with games that refined themselves down to some of the highest expressions of their genres, producing some of the greatest modern classics in gaming like

- Super Mario Odyssey
- BOTW
- Resident Evil 7
- Persona 5
- Sonic Mania
- Hollow Knight
- Nier Automata
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Divinity: OS 2

In terms of knowing what you like already and just getting the absolute best possible version of that game to play I don't think there's ever been a gaming year as richly packed as 2017.

Also, completely aside from this thesis PUBG came out and set the world of fire and then Fortnite came out, stole most of its thunder, made twice as much again and made the battle royale genre a household name, whcih was kinda impressive I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I absolutely refuse to believe 2008 was a better year for games than 2017 or 1994, normie-rear end chart

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Their list is:

Braid
Burnout Paradise
Dead Space
Fable II
Fallout 3
Gears of War 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Left 4 Dead