Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
They're all good gaming years, OP.

If I had to pick I'd either go with

EDIT:
My top years order:
1: 1993
2: 1999
3: 1989

1989:

DuckTales, Hugely replayable maps with secrets and kickass music. Perfect nes-era platformer.

SimCity, OG citybuilder. Really fun to do big cities, SAVE and then destroy them with catasthropes.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles both (nes) & (Arcade), - Great platformers, NES version was a great single-player and Arcade was amazing 4 player co-op gameplay.

North & South, - Fun arcade wargame. Switching between unit-types to try best identical opponent was really fun and the strategy map had real depth too.

Prince of Persia, - Best of the puzzle-platformers. a Real classic.

Minesweeper (lol), - You may not like it, but this is what peak gaming looks like. Lot of time wasted, while playing minesweeper at office.

Rick Dangerous, - Bit more obscure Amiga platformer in spirit of Indiana Jones movies.

River City Ransom, - Beat-em-up classic

Stunt Car Racer, - Fun arcade-car game with '3-d'-graphics and a map builder.

Super off Road - Fun arcade top-down driver. The arcade machine with 3 wheels made for real hectic match-ups.

or
1993:

Sam & Max Hit the Road, - Lot of classic adventure games in 1993 and this is the 2nd funniest one. Lucas arts was the best.

Doom, - Still kicks as in virtually any cpu-platform. 4 player splitscreen on Xbox is real fun way to enjoy this classic.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, - Sierra's best adventure game series. Real great adventure mood around the New Orleans and Tim Curry is perfect as Gabriel.

Day of the Tentacle, - The best game of all time. ALL TIME. Not biased at all.

Virtua Fighter, - Champion of the early 3d-fighters. No more fireballs, only real martial arts and fighters. Ok, there's ninja, an android and a pro-wrestler, but still. My favourite fighter-series.

Master Of Orion - Grandfather of the 4X-strategy games and still one of the best ones. Silicoids are best, nuff said.

Cannon Fodder, - Classic RTS-like squad action game. Lot of expendable troops that die and leave permanent gravemarker on your level select screen, while new recruits come up the road to be Cannon Fodder.

The Lost Vikings, - A Team puzzle game. Real fun one and one of the better Blizzard games from the time they made original games.

Mortal Kombat II, - Big improvement on the violent 'adult' fighting games format. I preferred these of Street fighters, because there were less bullshit fireball stuff. Also the fatalities were cool.

The Settlers - One of the original great city builders. You made road network and optimized production chains and slowly conquered the map. Settlers series are real chill games.

OR

King of Dragon Pass - This game made love the Glorantha and get lot of the Runequest/Heroquest rpg books. The world is just so greatly realized and managing my tribe is never about making numbers go bigger. It is always how to make best choices for my people. That's why I have played this game so many times and only won the campaign once. Always pick on the ducks.
never pick on the ducks

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - The best civilization game and the most quotable one. The faction personalities carry this game with their differing philosophies. Chairman Yang is the best leader and I will nerf staple everyone who disagrees.

Jagged Alliance 2 - Speaking of characters. These mercenaries have them plenty. They have likes, dislikes and hates and you cannot have everyone on the same team. Liberating Arulco province by province with your crack team of mercenaries never gets old.

Silent Hill - The first actually scary Resident Evil clone. Still my favourite series for both the horror aspect and for the hard puzzles it had.

The Longest Journey - One of the smaller adventure games from time, when no one else was doing them. April Journey from near futuristic earth to a fantastic world. This one was a real treat to play.

Gabriel Knight III: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned - Well almost no one was doing adventure games. This one was also a 'last' huzzah for a dying genre. The mix of real life french mystery and fantastical elements. The free floating camera system was a real innovation and it's a shame that later adventure games didn't adopt it. This one had some epic puzzles.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Another genre father. Fast-paced arcade fun in 2 minute sequences. Real fun to try to beat friends scores.

Planescape Torment - What can change a nature of a man? This was a Real philosophical mind-trip for teen me. Baldur gates were 'ok' fun, but this one really made me think and consider my actions on another level. It was technically an ADD-game, but most of the experience was gained from quests, so no need for grinding. Also the companions were real personalities and the world mysterious.

Discworld Noir - Technically a 3rd game of a 'dying genre'. This was a first Discworld game with a completely original story. A detective story, A Noir story, that still felt like a real Discworld story. Really funny and clever.

The Typing of the Dead - This one wasn't clever at all. It was a on-rail shooter, a literally House of the Dead game, except it wasn't played with a light-gun. Instead you typed your attacks on keyboard. On easier modes you needed to type simpler words floating around like 'Smash', 'Orange' or 'Succulent'. On harder modes you needed to type sentences like 'Peas are good for you'. a Real fun typing game.

Pretty much all years have great games:

top 3:
1986: The Legend Of Zelda, Bubble Bobble, Arkanoid
1987: Sid Meier's Pirates!, Punch-Out!!, Nethack
1988: Super Mario Bros 3, Mega Man 2, R.C. Pro AM
1990: The Secret of the Monkey Island, Super Mario World, Ducktales (pc, Amiga)
1991: Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past, Another World.
1992: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Star Trek 25th Anniversary(PC), Alone in the Dark
1994: X-Com: Ufo Defense, Final Fantasy VI, Warcraft
1995: Chrono Trigger, Soul Blade/edge, Mortal Kombat III
1996: Quake, Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars, Diablo
1997: Fallout, Final Fantasy VII,
1998: Grim Fandango, Thief, Fallout II
2000: Deus Ex, Diablo II, Zelda: Majora's Mask.
and so on...

Issaries fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

adhuin posted:

My top years order:

1989:

<snip>
1993:

<snip>

King of Dragon Pass - This game made me love the Glorantha and get lot of the Runequest/Heroquest rpg books. The world is just so greatly realized and managing my tribe is never about making numbers go bigger. It is always how to make best choices for my people. That's why I have played this game so many times and only won the campaign once. Always pick on the ducks.
never pick on the ducks

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - The best civilization game and the most quotable one. The faction personalities carry this game with their differing philosophies. Chairman Yang is the best leader and I will nerf staple everyone who disagrees.

Jagged Alliance 2 - Speaking of characters. These mercenaries have them plenty. They have likes, dislikes and hates and you cannot have everyone on the same team. Liberating Arulco province by province with your crack team of mercenaries never gets old.

Silent Hill - The first actually scary Resident Evil clone. Still my favourite series for both the horror aspect and for the hard puzzles it had.

The Longest Journey - One of the smaller adventure games from time, when no one else was doing them. April Journey from near futuristic earth to a fantastic world. This one was a real treat to play.

Gabriel Knight III: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned - Well almost no one was doing adventure games. This one was also a 'last' huzzah for a dying genre. The mix of real life french mystery and fantastical elements. The free floating camera system was a real innovation and it's a shame that later adventure games didn't adopt it. This one had some epic puzzles.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - Another genre father. Fast-paced arcade fun in 2 minute sequences. Real fun to try to beat friends scores.

Planescape Torment - What can change a nature of a man? This was a Real philosophical mind-trip for teen me. Baldur gates were 'ok' fun, but this one really made me think and consider my actions on another level. It was technically an ADD-game, but most of the experience was gained from quests, so no need for grinding. Also the companions were real personalities and the world mysterious.

Discworld Noir - Technically a 3rd game of a 'dying genre'. This was a first Discworld game with a completely original story. A detective story, A Noir story, that still felt like a real Discworld story. Really funny and clever.

The Typing of the Dead - This one wasn't clever at all. It was a on-rail shooter, a literally House of the Dead game, except it wasn't played with a light-gun. Instead you typed your attacks on keyboard. On easier modes you needed to type simpler words floating around like 'Smash', 'Orange' or 'Succulent'. On harder modes you needed to type sentences like 'Peas are good for you'. a Real fun typing game.

Added 1999 to my top 3 years and finalized my year order.
It's

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Rappaport posted:

:eng101:

And the silicoids really are the best. Even if the 2016 remake gave them boobs :eng99:

GIS I trusted you. :argh:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I think you forgot Day of the Tentacle.
Literal GOAT and a 13/10 game.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

That's what we used to call a pre-rendered Bullshot.

Actual game image:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Harrow posted:

A bit of trivia to perhaps spark some discussion: here is the list of years that received zero votes. The earliest year to receive any votes as 1982, so I'm listing any years between 1982 and 2022 that nobody voted for at all. They are:
<snip>

Lot of good years that didn't get recognition. My personal faves for those years:

1983 Bit too early for me...
1984 Tetris
1987 Sid Meier's Pirates! (Still GOAT), Punch-Out!!, Nethack
1988 Super Mario Bros 3, Mega Man 2, R.C. Pro AM
1990 The Secret of the Monkey Island, Super Mario World and Ducktales
1991 Monkey Island 2, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past and Another World.
2006 Guitar Hero 2 and... Okay this wasn't that good year.
2009 Skate 2, Dragon Age: Origins and Bayonetta
2014 Bayonetta 2 (Bought Wiiu just for this), Mario Kart 8 and Divinity: Original Sin.
2015 Witcher 3 (GOAT), Life is Strage and Just Cause 3.
2020 Cyberpunk 2077 (Another GOAT), Crusader Kings 3 and Ghost of Tsushima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Deformed Church posted:

The only explanation is that the sample must not have been representative. Please poll better in future.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

when you think about it the real best gaming year is current year because you have access to all the previous years games

:hmmyes:

Thanks for the Harrow for arranging this excellent competition and the Real Winner: 2022.
Gaming is getting better all the time.