Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

This year definitely did it for me. Whenever I look back at my fondest gaming memories, 1998 takes the crown by far. There have been other games, other marathons but I think '98 was when games started to experiment with graphics in ways that upped realism levels significantly compared to previous years.
There were so many influences, it was also the year I started buying PCGamer magazines every month and collecting the demo disks to get exposed to new games. I got to try stuff that never really made a lasting impact beyond that year and I had fun with those games too...
Some stuff I played that comes to mind:

-Metal Gear Solid
-Ocarina Of Time
-Goldeneye 007
-Grim Fandango
-FF7
-Half-Life (HUGE DEAL)
-Thief: The Dark Project - my first taste of immersive sims.
-Battlezone
-Railroad Tycoon II
-Unreal (The first Unreal felt like it was photorealistic compared to what was out at the time)
-Starsiege Tribes
-Starcraft
-Commandos
-Urban Assault
-Caesar III
-Shogo
-Heretic II
-Settlers III
-Myth II: Soulblighter - dwarven sappers tossing explosives and gibbing enemies was amazing.

Some of these games were hard and I didn't really "get" them until later years. Half Life and Unreal held most of my time as did Starcraft. My first taste of online play was mostly driven by Tribes. 1998 was the year that had me choosing gaming over anything else and it was the year with games I'd continue to revisit much later.

But these days as a grown 30 something adult I don't think a lot of these games would be as fun as they were when I was first exposed to them. Thinking back to the magic of it all at that age compared to now where I can buy anything I want on steam and there's always something new, it makes it hard to stick with any one game. Back then you had specific titles you'd wait for and play over and over again until the next one came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU