Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's hard to gauge the Impact more recent games will have, imo it is only fair to completely remove Impact as a marker of year quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

leap years have an advantage over non-leap years too

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This is much harder than a typical GotY list! So much research to be done

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Realtalk how did you guys even get started with your lists, did you pick a game you liked and then looked up other games that came out that year?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish I had you guys' confidence and ability to say "19XX year is THE YEAR 100%", every year I look at has bangers, or otherwise important games to me and the world of gaming. Asking myself "ok but has the MOST bangers, or the BEST bangers" but I can't answer that either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Somewhat arbitrarily, as a jumping off point, I selected the years in which I replaced my PC's graphics card and made a note of the games that pushed me to do so: 2006 (Oblivion), 2008 (Fallout 3), 2011 (Human Revolution), 2016 (Dark Souls 3), 2022 (Elden Ring)*. From there, it became matter of examining each year's releases and picking the one with the most impressive/impactful/personallyfavourite lineup. So, yeah, this actually isn't a definitive list at all but it's what I came up with, it's very game-focussed

*2022 was immediately disqualified for being too young

My picks:

Honourable Mention
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, Final Fantasy 12, Bully, Okami, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

These games are all bangers. Oblivion got me into modding (well, downloading mods), one of my favourite things to do, even in 2022. Final Fantasy 12 told a story more complex than I thought possible. Bully was the perfect final form of Grand Theft Auto. Okami was the most beautiful game. Twilight Princess... well, we like twilight princess

Fallout 3, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, Mass Effect, Persona 4, Spelunky

These games are all bangers. Fallout 3 offered freedom and that rare, wonderful feeling of exploring a huge, handcrafted world. Wrath of the Lich King was the most fun I'd ever in an MMO, and probably will ever have. Mass Effect was a cool piece of genre fiction made real. Persona 4 gave me all of the anime I needed for the next few years. Spelunky is a flawless game and one of the first roguelikes I've ever tried, a genre I like very much.

Dark Souls 3, Persona 5, Pokémon Go, Fallout 4, Firewatch

These games are all bangers. Dark Souls 3 is my favourite Dark Souls game. Persona 5 game me all of the anime I needed for the next few years, AND got me to listen to video game music on its own. Pokémon Go to the park with my pals. Fallout 4 was the most fun I ever had with an open world game. Firewatch was one of my first walking simulators I've ever tried, a genre I like very much.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dark Souls, Minecraft, Portal 2, Mass Effect 2

These games are all bangers. Human Revolution did everything right and brought vent crawlers to a new generation. Dark Souls is Dark Souls, my favourite series in the world, in all media. Minecraft was a hugely influential, amazing and unique experience. Portal 2 was one of the funniest games I've ever played. Mass Effect 2 perfected the BioWare formula, a formula I like very much.