Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

3rd: 2017 I really toyed with putting this up there because holy poo poo what a set of games, but ultimately I'm here to be subjective.
Horizon: Zero Dawn: An absolutely gripping story, told masterfully, joined with the best monster hunting system anyone has ever made.
Nier Automata: it's not often a game makes me tear up a little but wow Yoko Taro, way to rip my heart out and dance on it a bit before carefully placing it back in, stitching me up, and kissing it better.
Hellblade: I've never played anything with an atmosphere quite like this.
Total Warhammer 2: it's the best Total Warhammer at this point, a whole bunch of fun factions and systems.
XCOM 2: WOTC: I'm not a big tactics guy but I couldn't stop with this one. When it goes right it's so good.
Prey: I don't know if it's Arkane's best, but it's really loving good, everything about it is so tightly crafted to balance tension, the power curve, the opening up of the map, and the narrative itself all moving at the perfect pace.
AC Origins: This is the best designed open world anyone has ever made. Just an enormous collection of amazing environments to explore, while still making total sense as an actual working place rather than a homogenised soup of equally spaced map icons.
Shadow of War: Why have they not done anything else with the nemesis system? It's just so, so, so good. Also I loving love some Tolkein.

2nd: 2010 This is where I first started PC gaming, when I first started properly buying and choosing my own games. I picked an incredible year for it. And I played some console games too!
Mass Effect 2: I know, I know, but I just love Mass Effect. There's no enemy quite like the reapers, no heist quite like the suicide mission, and no whizzy spaceships quite so totally rad as the Normandy. Just typing this has me looking at whether I have hard drive space for the Legendary edition.
Fallout New Vegas: The first Steam game I ever bought. I think I've got more hours in this than any single player game except maybe Terraria.
Starcraft 2: First and foremost it's the game that got me into esports, and still my favourite one to watch even as the pro scene is fading. It's also genuinely an extremely good single player (and now co-op!) RTS.
Halo: Reach: The last good Halo game. It's just a tonne of fun to play and still has that distinct Halo feel. The campaign is also genuinely pretty powerful stuff. Survive.
Super Meat Boy: gently caress this game. 10/10.
Just Cause 2: The best school trip I ever went on, we stayed at a hostel which had a console and we just spent every spare moment passing the controller around blowing poo poo up. I still think it's just about the most fun game available for sheer chaos.
Bayonetta: I'm reaching here because apparently it was 2009 in Japan and 2010 in the rest of the world, but come on, it's Bayonetta.

1st: 2004 I'll be honest, a lot of this is nostalgia that's putting this here.
Halo 2: It's the best Halo. Maybe not my favourite, but it's the best.
Rome: Total War: it's been surpassed at this point, but for a very long time this was the strategy game to me.
GTA: San Andreas: I did not played this at the time because I was a small child, but what a banger of a game, except for the rc mission.
Burnout 3: As much as I love Paradise, there's nothing quite like loading this up and really getting into the destroying everything thing.
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal: setting aside the excellent pun, I love R&C and this is a great entry. A tonne of fun guns, places to explore, and showers of bolts to hoover up in an incredibly satisfying way.
Sid Meier's Pirates!: It's still the best pirate game that exists. Why has no-one done it again yet? I would pay so much.
KOTOR2: Controversial but I prefer this to KOTOR 1. Darth Nihilus is still the coolest sith around.
NFS Underground 2: Fantastic racing game, banging soundtrack, I keep looking at new NFS games and they just can't compare.
Battle For Middle Earth: Did I mention I loving love some Tolkein? I mostly blame this game. When I ran downstairs on a saturday morning to get my 45 minutes on my dad's laptop this was what I played.
Painkiller: It's got a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning. Play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'll be really mad if the chart post contains any 3d pie charts.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Vandar posted:

Shadow of Mordor was 2014, which wasn't a bad year at all. Not a GREAT year, but there were some really solid releases.

Yeah I'm looking through 2014 and it's a very B tier year, at least on the non-indie end. There's a lot of good games but nothing really great. Like, Dark Souls 2, Destiny, Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, Titanfall, Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein TNO, COD; AW from the big names. Alien Isolation and SoM are honestly the only two games which stand out as being more than good.

Great year for indies and smaller publishers though - Shovel Knight, Child of Light, Banner Saga, Divinity Original Sin, Transistor, OlliOlli, and Talos Principle.

And Hearthstone, which is still the biggest CCG about, although it probably doesn't make many general gamers' lists since it's ultimately a pretty niche thing.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Year of the Year of the Game lol

I think the 2022 year of the game poll is going to turn out to be the best.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The only explanation is that the sample must not have been representative. Please poll better in future.