Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Welcome to the Official Games Forum Year of the Game thread!

That's right, not Game of the Year, but Year of the Game. In this thread, we'll decide, once and for all, with scientific rigor, which year was the best ever year for gaming! Come ready to post, because by the time this thread's run its course, we'll have decided what year has contributed most to the magnificent bounty of video games we all love so much.

Voting will be open until the end of August in the United States Pacific time zone. That means voting will close at exactly 00:00 AM PDT on Thursday, September 1. At that point, I'll start tabulating the votes for the best year ever in gaming, and we'll have a countdown starting roughly a week later where we can all enjoy celebrating the history of gaming.

UPDATE: The deadline has been extended by one week! The new deadline is now exactly 00:00 AM PDT on Thursday, September 15!!

Before you post, make sure you read The Rules below, otherwise your vote won't count!

For the most part, why you vote for any given year is up to you! However, I think the core question to answer is: what year contributed the most to gaming as a whole? That can mean a lot of things, but some criteria you might consider are:
  • A lot of really great games were released in that year.
  • A lot of really important or influential games released in that year.
  • Hardware advancements that really pushed gaming forward in a meaningful way.
  • Maybe there's just one game you want to focus on from that year but it was really important and changed gaming forever. Who knows?

As stated above, some of these rules are necessary to make sure your vote counts! Others are just good thread guidelines.

1. You may vote for up to three calendar years. Your post (or posts) can include a first, second, and third-place vote. Your first-place year will get 5 points; your second will get 3 points; your third will get 1 point. You do not have to use all three votes--if you want to vote for just one year, or two, that's totally fine. If you do include more than one year, please make it clear which is your first, second, and third choice or I won't be able to count your votes!

2. You must give your reasons. That means a post that is just "I vote for <year>" won't count! The fun of this thread is in the discussion and seeing everyone's reasons for why they think a given year is the best one. So in your official voting post, make sure you write at least something about why the year(s) you're voting for was/were great. Your post can be as fancy and wordy and essay-like as you want, or it can be short and sweet, but just make sure it has good reasons for your vote. If there are no reasons given in your post, your vote won't count!

3. You may edit your post and even change your vote right up until the deadline. However, if you do, please make that very clear so that I don't accidentally count your old vote(s)!

4. Don't be a dick. Much like with our annual Game of the Year threads, this thread is a celebration of gaming, not an opportunity to tear down people's favorite games. Obviously there will be disagreement, discussion, and argument, but just don't be a huge jerk about it and everything will be cool.

5. Please use spoiler tags when applicable. Yes, we're going to be talking about old games in this thread, but someone might discover games they haven't heard about before through these discussions, and it'd be a shame if they were spoiled on them by your post. Use your judgment here, but in general, if your post discussing a game needs you to talk about Big Plot Reveals, it might be a good idea to spoiler tag those parts.

6. Again, your votes must be in by the end of August! Any votes after it's September 1 in the Pacific time zone in the United States will not be counted.

And that's all! Let's get the posting started, and decide in an official, scientific, definitely real capacity what year is the Year of the Game!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I realize now, only too late, that by posting this thread I have obligated myself to have an opinion on this. Gonna have to give it some thought.

1994 is an extremely powerful contender.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are a ton of great candidates but I think my vote's probably going to 1994, 97, or 98. Though I think 98 probably beats 97 as much as my heart wants me to vote for "the year FFVII came out."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

goons are old and therefore '98 will sweep (prolly deservedly), but 2022 is pr much the best gaming year of my life

I think 1998 is pretty likely to get a lot of votes, but I know there's a lot of love for 2017 out there, too. That year had some real bangers, and even some games that are proving to perhaps have lasting influence (like Breath of the Wild).

I'd definitely be interested in a post about 2022's merits, though, whether that gets your actual vote or not. I know I've played a bunch of good games this year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

I've run the numbers and wow it turns out the best year for video games was the year when you were 16, what a result

I was 16 in 2002 and that wasn't the best year ever, statement invalidated :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

However, Harrow, I think in order to properly rank the years we should also be allowed to place a second-place vote.

Hm, I could see this making sense. Is this just to avoid a situation where one year just gets an absolute snowball of votes and a lot of decent years don't even get mentioned? I could see that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, I like it.

Let's say something like:

You can vote for up to three years. Your first-place choice gets 5 points. Second place gets 3 points. Third place gets 1. You don't have to use all three--if you just want to vote for one or two, that's fine. This applies retroactively so if anyone wants to add to their previous posts, please do. Please clearly label which is your first, second, and third choice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My gut feeling is that making a fair rule about release dates would be kind of complicated. I'd want to say "when the game is available to most people" would be a good guideline for what year to use, but sometimes there's a pretty big gap, or a game comes out in Japan and the US but not the EU for a long time (or Japan and EU but not the US, in Xenoblade's case), or things like that, and it all just gets fuzzy. Or games that are really good and important but didn't get an international release for decades (for example Live A Live) would be really hard to actually list.

I'd just ask that people not cheat release dates too egregiously. Like I wouldn't attribute Chrono Trigger to 2009 because that's when it finally got an official release in Europe, for example.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh also! So far I think only wuggles has done this, but if people want to write any blurbs and/or paragraphs about why the games listed for a given year are good/important/influential/etc. that would be cool! That's what I plan to do (and why my post is probably going to take a while). It's not required in the rules but it would probably spark more discussion.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

wuggles posted:

Harrow, I think you should update the OP too

I updated it yesterday!

Harrow posted:

1. You may vote for up to three calendar years. Your post (or posts) can include a first, second, and third-place vote. Your first-place year will get 5 points; your second will get 3 points; your third will get 1 point. You do not have to use all three votes--if you want to vote for just one year, or two, that's totally fine. If you do include more than one year, please make it clear which is your first, second, and third choice or I won't be able to count your votes!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Impact is just one of many things to consider. Nobody has to follow the criteria in the OP--like I said, the criteria you use are ultimately up to use. Those are just some questions to get the thinkin'-wheels turning.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell yes, I am ready for Mathpost

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

more recent years tend to have more Ps, and are thewrefore scientifically better

2008 is the winner for having exactly 1000 Ps

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sherbert Hoover posted:

yeah my first thought was 1994 and i'm sticking with it

Remember that if you want your vote to count, you have to write something about the year (or years) you're voting for!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

However we cannot see the future, and so we can only vote for the best year in gaming so far

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

b.
Second most important: This is the year Minecraft came out.

poo poo, you're right, that's a really big one. Minecraft has always been kind of a blind spot for me. I'm one of the very rare video game likers who's just never even tried Minecraft at all so sometimes I forget just how huge of a deal it is. That and Dark Souls in the same year adds a lot of weight to 2011 just on their own.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I thought this would be an easy choice, but it turns out videogames own and have continued to own. I'm reading through the thread and thinking ah poo poo, this was also a very good year

lol same, my own vote is probably going to come in right under the wire as I continue to second-guess myself

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Erwin the German posted:

Neat thread. Here’s why it’s 2000.

A day later, on February 4th, we’ve got the Sims. This one is more or less self-explanatory, it was the kickstart of one of EA’s major cash cows that’s going extremely strong to this day - it’s also the one I never actually played, along with the Sims 4 much later on. 2 and 3 were great experiences, though, and I have the original to thank for giving us the Sims 2 console version, which I played a lot of with my siblings on the Gamecube. That was pretty crappy as far as a Sims experience goes, granted, but still - good times. There had been simulation games before the Sims, but this was the one that really shined a spotlight on life simulators - making fictional people and meddling with their lives, dreams and destinies. The Sims was also a major reason a lot of more casually-inclined people and women (those who weren’t into more violent games that made up a majority these days) got into video games in the first place. Pretty big deal!

For being one of the earliest life sims, it also managed to be, mostly accidentally, ahead of its time on homosexuality in games - your sims could kiss whoever they wanted, so long as they were consenting adults. Gay sims could move in together, but they couldn’t get married yet - that would come in the Sims 3 by name, with ‘joined unions’ being in 2. Still, have to commend the developers for letting it happen in the first place, since it wasn’t even initially supposed to be possible. Once they realized it was, though, they just sort of rolled with it.

This is a really great writeup about 2000! That's a year I hadn't really considered but just scrolling down your post before I read it and seeing the box arts I was like "poo poo, that year was stacked."

The Sims is another one of those games whose impact I sometimes forget about because it's not (anymore, at least) the kind of game I spend too much time playing or thinking about. But I loved The Sims when it was new. It was such a weird and different kind of game that absolutely fascinated me at the time. Its impact is important because, at least in the west, it seemed to open up a whole new avenue of gaming for people, and that's cool. Life sims were already a thing, especially in Japan ("dating sims," for example, actually do have pretty in-depth life sim elements as part of them), but The Sims expanding that concept to families and neighborhoods was cool and exciting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh god I still have to make my list gently caress

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the whole "your favorite was when you were 16" talk annoys me, people are perfectly capable of critically looking at stuff lol

Yeah I always hate that stuff. Or like "the only reason you like your favorite <X> is because it's the one you played when you were 12-16" or whatever, pick a series and an age and just run with it to dismiss any argument.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do think that discussions like these are more interesting when people talk about not only which games were released that year, but also why those games matter, but I didn't want to require that in posts because I thought like three people total would've wanted to write an essay that long. It's why mine's taking so long :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

so much data....... :staredog:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really shoulda got my post in earlier, I can’t follow Rarity! I mean I’m honor bound to, and yet…

Also drat 1998 and 2000 coming in strong, huh?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It sure is! We've got until midnight Pacific time on Wednesday to get votes in, and then I'll start tallying.

I'm gonna try to get my post in today!! Really gonna try

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Should I just post a quick rundown for my votes or should I bother with the 2 feature length articles I wrote because I apparently have a lot of thoughts about games

:justpost:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hello everyone, I have received an anonymous request for a deadline extension that is for a very good reason (and is not because I'm procrastinating my own entry, though that is also an added benefit for me)

So I'm extending the thread deadline by one week! Trust me, the entries we'll get from the extension will be worth it. The new deadline is now :siren: 00:00 AM PDT on Thursday, September 8! :siren:

Please post all complaints about having to wait longer for results in this thread so as to amp up the post count and make it look even more popular, thank you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

the princess! they are in another castle!

it's this, I lost the princess and need another week to save her from Bowser :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hello everyone! A reminder that voting will be closed in about two days! If you have any last-minute additions or changes, make sure you get them in now!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If Rarity needs more time I'd be happy to extend the deadline, I just didn't want to extend this beyond people's interest in the thread. Then again Rarity's posts probably create more interest so it'd probably be worth it. Up to her, if she wants more time!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

I would love more time. As I explained to Harrow in a very stressed out PM the free time I had to finish my stuff was eaten up being sick and then having to work super late tonight :sweatdrop:

Would another week do it? I'd hate to close down the thread before some of its best posts could be made.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The important part of this thread are the good posts, so I'm very happy to keep it running :hai:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Making it real tempting to do another effort post on 2001 here

:justpost:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I’m afraid Rarity has used science and that means we must trust her methods

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

aslo who on earth would mention pyre instead of cuphead for a 2017 indie

I think it's good Pyre got included because it's excellent, however leaving out games like Cuphead and Yakuza 0 sadly sandbags 2017 and ignores some of its best games, and for this reason I think 2017 deserves a higher score

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Making me wish there was a way to play Bushido Blade online so Stux and Rarity could settle this with an honorable duel, steel vs steel, with the victorious warrior declared correct by divine right

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I must tabulate!! I will try to have The Official Results by mid-next week. You may yell at me if they are late. :hai:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo!! I forgot!! gently caress!!!

I don't know if I will have time this weekend to wrap up this thread but I will try!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Year of the Year of the Game lol

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:negative: I have brought shame upon the forums

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lmao was not expecting Kyle Bosman

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm tabulating! The tabulation is nearly complete!

Results tomorrow! We'll be doing a countdown of the top 10 best years in gaming so far, as decided in an official, real, and binding fashion by Something Awful Video Games forum posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A bit of trivia to perhaps spark some discussion: here is the list of years that received zero votes. The earliest year to receive any votes as 1982, so I'm listing any years between 1982 and 2022 that nobody voted for at all. They are: