Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'll just put down two years that had games that blew my mind when they came out. And to echo a comment a few posts up, back then you had a handful of games that you played a lot, so these are all seared into my memory, some more and some less.

Year of the game #1: 1998

Yes, put me in the pile :eng99: But come on. Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate were amazing at the time, and especially BG was pretty :eyepop: with its beautiful hand-drawn maps and spiffy sprite dudes and dudettes :3: I had played Fallout 1 quite a bit right after it came out, but 2 just had more of everything, in good and ill.

Then there was Half-life, and everyone who was there knows why it was a big deal. And while it's not 1998 directly, CS was a big LAN party hit that would not have been without Half-life, so :toot:

And as the other 1998 lists in this thread show, there were a lot of defining titles in other genres as well.

Year of the game #2: 1996

This year had a couple games that I sank a stupid amount of hours into as a kid, I'm sort of glad there wasn't a Steam-equivalent back then to record the amount. But anyway, Master of Orion 2 and Settlers 2 were incredible when they released, and MoO2 had multiplayer! :popeye: And there's Duke 3D, which I liked better than Doom (:ohdear:), and that too was a big hit for LAN gaming. And Tomb Raider was also a blast, there was even a T-rex! I also liked Bad Mojo and Toonstruck, but adventure games only have so much replay value.

Can't really pick a definite #3, but that's okay, there's been a lot of good gaming years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

adhuin posted:

1993:

Master Of Orion - Grandfather of the 4X-strategy games and still one of the best ones. Silicoids are best, nuff said.

:eng101:

And the silicoids really are the best. Even if the 2016 remake gave them boobs :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Fallout 2. This is one that deserves being entrenched in the pantheon. Black Isle managed to take all of what made the first one so great - its dingy, worn down setting, its freedom to explore and interact in dubious or moral ways, and its stat & skill systems that offered multiple solutions to problems - and went and made everything bigger and better. The world was way more vast. You could get a car. Quests were more involved. There were more vaults. Your sidekicks tried to shoot through you or run into your line of fire less often. There was more wacky stuff waiting for you out in the wasteland. Without Fallout 2, the series may not have been as well loved, and Bethesda might never have bought it up and reinvented it. Without Fallout 2, we might never have had Liam Neeson voicing your dad, Old World Blues, or a goon express his confusion as to the meaning of the term 'Comfirmed Bachelor'.

Great write-up. The Fallout 2 Chrysalis Highwayman theme song is etched into my soul.