Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think 1st has gotta go to 2017, primarily on the strength of, y'know, everything.
The mix of Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata, and Hollow Knight is extraordinarily hard to beat! Splatoon 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Divinity 2, Wolfenstein 2, Prey, Sonic Mania, Resident Evil 7, and Cuphead are all also great, and PUBG and Fortnite aren't my thing but they dramatically changed the entire multiplayer shooter market.

2nd is 2007: Mass Effect, Portal, TF2, Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, and Super Paper Mario are all just really good or important games!

I would very narrowly give 3rd to 1998: Ocarina of Time and FF7 are the only games here that I think are actually all that fun to play anymore with how far games have advanced, but there's so many that started famed and celebrated franchises (Starcraft, Metal Gear Solid, Half-Life) or were really solid otherwise (Goldeneye 007, Unreal, Banjo-Kazooie) that it takes it on impact.

Barely missing out is 2004, between MGS3, San Andreas, 3rd gen Pokemon, WoW, and Half-life 2. Better games than 1998, but not enough to make up for the impact.

HMs to 2019, because I love Outer Wilds that much, and 1999, because I love Planescape: Torment nearly as much as Outer Wilds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
stux is correct

except pubg absolutely deserved the 6

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Stux posted:

once 1998 is discounted due to old boomer goons being nostalgia clouded we can see 2017 takes its rightful number one place. congratulations 2017

justice for 2017

(98's good too I guess)