Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Cross posting my list and commentary from the chat thread. Edit: Have added my second and third place votes with half-assed top 5 lists. Please enjoy

First-place vote: 2007

My YOTG based purely on individual nostalgia is 2007. I was 16/17 this year, so I could stay up as late as I wanted, and I could play whatever the hell I wanted.

I think that the beginning of the year I had a 360 and a Wii, and got a PS3 later in the year, so I was also set for consoles. Having a job and no bills was pretty great.

In order to flex on the strength of this year, I am going to count The Orange Box as a single title, even though technically Portal, HL2E2, and Team Fortress 2 are all separate releases, and would each make Top 10 on their own.

Honorable mentions (either due to not ranking or because I didn't play them): Persona 3, The Witcher, Blue Dragon, COD4:MW, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Forza Motorsport 2, FFT:WOTL, Phoenix Wright: Justice for All and Trials and Tribulations, Diddy Kong Racing DS, Peggle, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, Guitar Hero III, Odin Sphere, Mario Strikers Charged, Mega Man Star Force, Bioshock, Heavenly Sword, Eternal Sonata, Sonic Rush Adventure, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Rock Band. There's enough in this year to make your own top 10.

10. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Widely regarded as the worst of the Prime trilogy, Corruption is still a good time and the Wii Remote + Nunchuck combo was a perfect fit to the game's controls. It is, to this day, the only one of the trilogy I've beaten. (Come on with the remaster already.)

9. Crackdown

Crackdown is the best 7/10 video game ever made. You play a superpowered cop :acab: that can jump, climb, and drive around the city to cause physics-based mayhem and acquire stat-boosting collectibles. The traversal in this game is a great time. Microsoft tried to put all the physics calculations for Crackdown 3 in the cloud and it was a disaster.

(Ironically the other best 7/10 game, Astral Chain, is also about cops. Hm.)

8. Everyday Shooter

Here's one that not many of you have heard of. Everyday Shooter is a top down twin stick shooter where the typical sound effects are replaced with guitar riffs, so as you play you are composing your own soundtrack.

Please enjoy this ten year old 480p video from IGN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws35rgblHTY

7. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

I didn't play much of this one because the battle animations are a huge step down from the GBA games but you can't deny that it is now very, very expensive.

6. Halo 3

This is the loving game, right here, that you and your grognard buddies sat outside of GameStop drinking Mountain Dew: John Halo's Pee Edition With XP Bonus until midnight to preorder so that you could get the $100 helmet that only fits your friend's cat.

(possible cw: this is a ten+ year old video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbnFYWTERiw

5. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl

Diamond and Pearl have since been outclassed by their remake, Platinum, but this is around the time I got really in to breeding Pokemon with the right hidden stats. I ended up putting around 100 hours into my Pearl file, putting it right up there with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the list of "games I put a shitload of time into."

4. The World Ends With You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN3AF2_nDDU

3. Super Mario Galaxy

I need to play its sequel again to make this call, but it's possible SMG is a top 3 Mario game alongside 3D World and Odyssey. The movement is :discourse:, the Ice Flower is one of the best power ups in all of Mario, and Rosalina is my thick mommy.

2. Unreal Tournament III

I wasn't a PC gamer, so the PS3 version of UT3 was my first exposure to the "boomer shooter," a genre of FPS that stands differentiated by the slower and more cautious gameplay of games like COD and Wolfenstein. Spawn, die, and immediately respawn. This is probably second behind COD2 as my favorite online shooter from when I was a kid.

1. The Orange Box

This game is three games, so it goes at the top of the list. Team Fortress 2, Portal, and Half-Life 2 Episode 2 are each a potential #1 in their own right, so there's no way this one doesn't take the list. The Orange Box is probably one of the biggest slam-dunk releases ever in terms of quality:cost ratio. You don't see releases like this very often anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSsstXfcRWw

One interesting thing I noticed after posting this list is that between Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Orange Box, Halo 3, Mass Effect, and Modern Warfare, if you were to imagine the platonic ideal of the GameStop bro, they would probably name 2007 their YOTG. (I don't know if this is a point in my list's favor or against it.)

---

Second-place vote: 2017

Yeah, this stupid year is here.

5. Nier Automata
4. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Yakuza 0
2. Hollow Knight
1. Breath of the Wild

---

Third-place vote: 2001

5. Mega Man X5
4. Super Smash Bros. Melee
3. Halo
2. Metal Gear Solid 2
1. Sonic Adventure 2

wuggles fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

fridge corn posted:

There is no argument that 1998 was the single best year in gaming as I'm sure most would agree.

I think that's why we're here lol

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

goons are old and therefore '98 will sweep (prolly deservedly), but 2022 is pr much the best gaming year of my life

THANK YOU. people bitch and moan about delays but recent years have been packed with too much to play

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

seeing a variety of years getting posted with good arguments

:sickos:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ok harrow I put my 2nd and 3rd place lists in

Everyone not reading the posts: vote for three years, not just one!

Harrow, I think you should update the OP too

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Harrow posted:

I updated it yesterday!

oh sorry, I skimmed and didn't see that

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

Realtalk how did you guys even get started with your lists, did you pick a game you liked and then looked up other games that came out that year?

I knew I wanted 2007 first, so I looked up the Wikipedia article. For my other two choices I looked up a few different years based on conversations with people, made shortlists, and then picked 2017 and 2001.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Rarity posted:

So when people vote are they only considering games that they have played personally or are they looking at the entire gaming landscape? :thunkher:

little of A, little of B

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

EVERYONE, PUT THREE YEARS IN YOUR POSTS

:) :respek: :)

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Yeah but the results will be more interesting with more votes

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

space harrier duuuuuuuude

(everyone should check out yu suzuki's "air twister" on apple arcade)

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Rarity posted:

Trying to work out what year to start my ~*mathematical analysis*~ from. Feels like the Pac-Man should be included in the debate but there's not quite enough big games from 1980 to really put it in contention

please write up your methodology when you're done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

good thread ty