Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I would like to give a shoutout to 1996, but not for any of the great titans that year spawned. That year is one of the most important in the history of gaming, in my mind, for precisely the opposite reason.

For while browser based gaming had been on the internet for at least a year, if not several, it was the emergence of Macromedia Flash and the Internet Gaming Zone that really let them take off, both in terms of games being made and played like wildfire.

My research isn't too deep here, so I'm more than willing to be proven wrong by someone else's effortpost, but I did just want that side of the gaming environment to be represented, as many of my early years were spent playing the sort of browser flash games on Addicting Games/Newgrounds/Miniclip/Armor Games/Bonus.com/etc. that individually have trouble standing the test of time, especially now with the demise of Flash. That style of game also serves as a possible lead-in to mobile gaming, which itself is probably the greater impact on the gaming landscape going forward and should be talked about more, but I don't really have enough experience to even briefly comment upon.

(My heart also roots for 1999 and 2001, but mostly for reasons already stated by other posters unless you count Runescape having also released in 2001. I'd say 2001 was probably the more impactful year overall and should get my 2nd place vote and 1999, 3rd, although I like 1999's games more.)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Kind of surprised here, but I guess the numbers don't lie, even if science does.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Really, just highlights how wide the field of gaming is that even though a lot of the Year of the Game's hallmarks don't resonate with me, I can't deny their impact. Congratulations to 1998!