Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Team Fortress 2
Portal
Super Mario Galaxy
Peggle
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Rock Band
BioShock
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Crysis
Assassin's Creed

The Orange Box came out this year, solidifying valve's stranglehold on digital distribution for years to come. With this came a re-release of Half-life Two: Episode 2 (2006) and the biggest timesink of my life, Team Fortress 2. Literal thousands of hours i've sunked in trying to get my grades as low as possible. Ten years later and it turns into the free2play hat simulator we all hate, but man, it was an incredible monster banger in its heyday. Also puzzler Portal shows how much valve values creating slick, exciting games when they want to.

Mario made its debut on the wii with Super Mario Galaxy, which is wild that no-one has mentioned this before. A beautiful game that made 3d platform work well with a, to me, clunky pointer controller.

Yeah I played peggle. :colbert: Sure it came with the orange box but it was addictive enough that I couldn't stop myself from playing. I can still here the fanfare blaring Ode to Joy when you won a level... I'm sure you can too.

I haven't played Recettear but I know goons went hard for it. So it made the list.

Remember that little plastic guitar controller? Yeah, that came out this year. Rock Band is favored by nerds because you can pretend to be cool by badly fingering Through the Fire and Flames. Sure it's a nerd game for nerds, definitely not me, but man did it ever leave a mark.

BioShock. Oh BioShock. Did this game start dystopian steam punk genre or did it solidify it? Who cares when you can zap children with your heroin powers.

Now I didn't play Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare but a lot of other people did. AND they liked it?! Well ok then. I don't think you can even rocket jump in this game? Lame.

Crysis. Did as much for the development for physics engines as it did emptying wallets. As such I never wanted to play it out of principle. I have to buy a brand spanking new graphics card for a game?! No thanks, I'll just keep playing TF2. A lot of people disagreed with me anyway.

Do you know Assassin's Creed? I've never heard of it.

----

And that's why I think 2007 is the best year for games.
Well actually it's just because tf2 came out that year and I had to pad my mentions a little, but don't let that stop you from voting for 2007.

edit: 2nd year goes to 1999, 3rd is for 2017

2Fast2Nutricious fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

VideoGames posted:

1. The year 2011

b.
Second most important: This is the year Minecraft came out.

gently caress, you're right. I can think of franchises that are as long lasting as minecraft or has the impact on the gaming world, but minecraft is just one, sometimes heavily modded, game. It won't show up on my personal goty list but you cannot deny just how massive it was and continues to be.