Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Let me be the first to vote for eventual winner: The Year of 1998. This year saw the release of some all time bangers, games that are still heavily played today and that shaped or reshaped entire genres. There is no argument that 1998 was the single best year in gaming as I'm sure most would agree. Below is my list of 1998 releases (using the NA release dates cuz that's where I was at the time) in order of awesomeness.

10. Tenchu Stealth Assassins
9. Metal Gear Solid
8. Baldur's Gate
7. Breath of Fire 3
6. Grand Theft Auto
5. Xenogears
4. Gran Turismo
3. Escape Velocity: Override
2. StarCraft
1. Final Fantasy Tactics

I might expand on each title later but the list speaks for itself imo

E: also Suikoden 2 released in japan in 1998 which is certainly worth mentioning even if it didnt make it to the west until 99, which is why I left it off my list

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rarity posted:

I've run the numbers and wow it turns out the best year for video games was the year when you were 16, what a result

I was 13 in 1998

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

O

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

M

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

G

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

:worship:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ms Adequate posted:

Rarity? Hey Rarity, babe? I love you and I want to credit you for these posts but:

What

the gently caress?

Rarity bringing the harsh truths we all know deep in our hearts

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Stux is real mad haha

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Anyway thank you rarity, it's been a real treat to read your posts, as always!! :tipshat:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rarity is objectively correct in her methodology but subjectively I still think 1998 was the best year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The best year for games is 2023