Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I always said 2017 released the most amount of the best games. However, for this entry I am going to do it a little differently.

I am going to rank the year based on how important it was to me as a person and only include games I have played to completion. This is my own rule for the GOTY thread that I implemented in 2021 once I started fully playing games.

Lots of people have said why 2017 is so good - seriously not only the Switch coming out, but a ton of games which are all time greats: Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, What Remains of Edith Finch, Night in the Woods, Cuphead and then the games I have not beaten which I know from word of mouth, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Persona 5 and the whole Battle Royale phenomenon.

1. The year 2011

Most likely I will be the only person to choose this year but I can think of three reasons why I would put it up there.

a.
Third most important: this is the year Dark Souls came out. I find the first Dark Souls to be the bottom of my favourite list, but it is still an incredible game and unfortunate that it has the rest of the trilogy, Demons, Sekiro, Bloodborne and Elden Ring to go up against. This is a game that changed discourse and had something in it that every single developer wanted to aim, or gaming article writer wanted to compare to. It is a juggernaut of a game that affected everything that came after and FromSoft just kept taking the core and making new things for their own entertainment. It is a testament to their own creativity that they have been able to keep going on wilder and wilder tangents from the spur of this game for their own amusement and still retain that wild inventiveness.

Dark Souls shaped my gaming prowess in 2020 via Bloodborne, which would not exist were it not for this game being a smash hit. I owe my true love and reinvigoration of gaming to Bloodborne in the year 2020 and it owes its existence to 2011 and Dark Souls.

b.
Second most important: This is the year Minecraft came out.
We talk about fortnite and pubg and the battle royale blitz, but I do not think any game in existence has done more to open up avenues for new players, for creating livelihoods via content creation, for being used as a tool to soothe those with neurodivergent minds, to being a game that families can bond over, to allowing oneself to just lose months of time to pleasant building and foraging with your own imagination.

The beta versions were a couple of years earlier, but this was the official release and with it the popularity surpassed the moon. This is the best selling video game of all time for a reason. It has touched so many lives and introduced video gaming as a concept to so many people who might not have tried it. CoD may be popular, but everyone has played Fortnite and they played it because Minecraft showed them video gaming either in person or via youtube channels.

I genuinely think this game had the biggest cultural impact on video games more than any other.

I have spent, all the hours counted up from my launcher, 11 straight months of time playing Minecraft across different version. That is over 8000 hours and that is ridiculous but it is easy to do so. The game is all I ever wanted from something where I can make homes with my friends.

c.
The most important reason of all. Portal 2.

Yeah.

I need to write a post for the great games thread but this game is my all time number one and has been since I played it. The last real accessible game Valve released (the CS:GO and Dota stuff is more building upon pre-existing game mods, and Alyx requires you to drop a lot of money on VR) it helps that it is their genuine best one.

I could talk about it for hours because it does everything I have ever wanted from video games correctly and then surprises me some more. I am not sure if anything will dethrone this game as my favourite. I think about it a lot and I think how it got me to continue writing. In 2012 I was about to start a pretty bad mental journey of a few years leading to a full blown breakdown where video gaming meant nothing. I kept writing though because of this game. This is the game that kept resonating within my mind and would help me to actually do some of my hobby despite everything going on.

Everything about it is perfect and I would not change a single thing about this game. It even has funny and engaging multiplayer WITH added DLC long after the fact, as well as an easy to use test chamber creator.

Valve's masterpiece and my #1 love.

:)

What a superb thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you benevolent Harrow.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I do not mind no 10 for Half Life because you gave Portal 2 a 10 ;)

Where was FFVIIremake rank? I think I missed it. I like your methodology a lot Rarity and actually agree with pretty much all your numbers from an objective viewpoint!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

Shush

I missed it when looking up 2020 releases :argh: It would have got a 9

:thunk: While I disagree with this, I accept it as it pertains to your methodology and from various responses from other people
:)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

This is a really good year, but man Brits know nothing. We have people queuing for 30+ hours right now to walk slowly past a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have played more games from 1998 in 2022 than I played in 1998.