Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
2001 and it ain't even close.

Grand Theft Auto III
Devil May Cry
Halo
Metal Gear Solid 2
The Sims

If we're talking game impact, GTA or Halo alone would cinch it. If we're talking game quality, these five alone makes the rest of this tournament a race for second, we even have a little game called The Sims to placate the casual demographic.

However, beyond the top 5, look at the following list of games that came out IN A SINGLE YEAR and tell me this wasn't an embarrassment of riches:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Twisted Metal Black
ICO
Jak and Daxter
Rogue Squadron II
Max Payne
NBA Street
Pikmin
Shenmue II
Silent Hill 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Oni
Phantasy Star Online
Zone of the Enders
Crazy Taxi (PS2) and Crazy Taxi 2 (DC)
Red Faction
Project Gotham Racing
Dead or Alive 3
Luigi's Mansion
Smash Bros Melee
Gran Turismo 3
Onimusha
Final Fantasy X

Some of these games don't hold up well today, 21 years later. Red Faction, for example, had a great gimmick for a system that was low on titles (but not for long holy poo poo) but is just passable today.

Also, while the top 5 is the Mount Rushmore +1 of the last 25 years of game design, you may not like some of these games. Not a lot of people are smart enough to realize that Oni was a stone cold classic for instance, and I didn't have the patience for the boring life simulator that was Shenmue II.

But this list of games doesn't even encompass everything from that year. We got Time Crisis 2 on PS2. They were still pumping out bangers like Paper Mario and Conker for the N64.

Oh and I guess the Game Boy Advance came out and gave the world access to a Super Nintendo in your pocket, no big deal or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU