Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Do we need a rule for release dates? I'm asking because in the past, there was sometimes huge gaps between the regions in that regard. SMB 3 for example was released 2 years after its JP releases in America and almost another year later in Europe.
Someone mentioned Ridge Racer as a 94 game and that's technically true, but for most of the world it came out in 95.
For me personally the two big ones are Mario 64 that was released in Europe in 97 and MGS that came to the EU in 99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

1. 1997

First of all, the games were good: Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, GoldenEye 007, Star Fox 64, Tomb Raider II, Ultima Online, PaRappa the Rapper, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Gran Turismo, Diablo, Grand Theft Auto, Dungeon Keeper, Jedi Knight, Fallout, Myth, Monkey Island 3, Crash Bandicoot 2.

And that's not even all of the good ones. They released a lot of games back then,

As for the period, the Playstation was really hitting its stride at this point, and this was indeed the year I got one. Other than that, the N64 was finally released in Europe along with Mario 64 and the Saturn was still not officially dead, meaning there were 3 very different consoles on the market with exclusive games for each. In addition to that, the GameBoy Pocket and the JP release of Pokemon meant that system got a second wind after an impressive 8 years on the market.
The PC too was going trough a major change. We were finally more or less done with the FMV multidisc era and 3D graphics were beginning to become mainstream thanks to popularity of Voodoo Graphics, Quake got a GL mode this year and Quake 2 came out with full support later in the year (colored lights!)

2. 2002

Read a post about 2002 and it reminded me off all the great games from that year. The most important ones for me were Medal of Honor Allied Assault which I think was the first online shooter I got really into. I played that game every day after school while chatting with my friend on the cordless phone which I was able to do since we had recently gotten lightning fast* ADSL in the house.
Another big one was Morrowind, which just blew my mind. The graphics and atmosphere were unlike anything I could compare it to and I'd argue that no game has ever been able to create such a distinct and weirdly alien sense of space as Morrowind did, the lackluster attempts in later Elder Scrolls games certainly did not.
Medieval Total War was released this year, as well as Neverwinter Nights and Dungeon Siege.

In addition to those two, this was also the year I got a PS2 for cheap since the guy I bought it from was saving for a Gamecube if I remember correctly. Anyway, 2002 was the year that both Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid 2 finally got released in PAL regions, so I'm counting those two as 2002 games. They're both among my all time favourites even though FFX had massive black bars around the screen and ran slower than the NTSC version.

I did not have a Gamecube or and Xbox, but Metroid Prime, Windwaker, Mario Sunshine came out this year as well as Segas first post-Dreamcast games such Jet Set Radio Future and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

All in all a wild year for consoles. The final batch of Dreamcast games got released and the Xbox debuted worldwide after a November release in the US, and the Gamecube came to Europe as well. PC games were still very much their own thing, but Morrowind being ported to Xbox marked the beginning of a dark chapter of PC games being developed to fit onto consoles.

3. 1982

Dig Dug! Mr. Do!!

But most importantly: ROBOTRON 2084!
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CourteousDiscreteCaracal-mobile.mp4

bone emulator fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 4, 2022

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

my top 3 might just be 97,98 and 99.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

2004 had MGS3, HalfLife2,WoW, San Andreas and DQ8, but on the other hand I was miserable for unrelated reasons, so it might be disqualified as a year.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

added 2002 to my list because god drat what a year for video games!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Whatever year that Shadow of Mordor won Goty on Giant Bomb was probably a really bad year for new game releases

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The people who made the ZX Spectrum a successful platform, should not have a say in this matter

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

when you think about it the real best gaming year is current year because you have access to all the previous years games

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

2006 was the last year of the ps2 and the first full year of the xbox360. The only game that stands out to me is ff12.
Oblivion, Dead Rising and Gears of War also came out that year and were huge at the time, but I don't think they are that fondly remembered now.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

PC gaming was also in that weird pre-Steam* phase were devs pretty much stopped making PC games and only occasionally made really bad ports. I think I mostly just played WoW at the time, then I bought a 360 because the Wii was impossible to get at launch, which in retrospect was good decision.

*Steam existed, but it wasn't synonymous with playing games on a Personal Computer yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

2000 not making the top 10?

We need a recount, clearly there were hanging chads involved