Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
That was a tiring day 1. I bought a few Winnipeg Jets singles, contemplated grabbing some wax but decided against it. I also picked up a jays hoodie signed by a Kelly Gruber for $40 and a Raptors warm up jacket and tearaway pant for $75

Tomorrow I’ll try to sell or trade of some cards I flew in with. I only pulled them out once to show one table and they weren’t interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Jealous you got to go to your show. We had a large one this weekend but I was sick as a dog Friday/Saturday.

I went to a LCS on Sunday so I didn’t feel completely empty handed and picked up a nice 58 Eddie Mathews

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Delighted to announce that I have purchased the Rich Hill spot in a 100 case Chrome Update player break for the low low price of $27.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

100 cases jesus, the biggest ones I see on ebay are 20

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

mp5 posted:

100 cases jesus, the biggest ones I see on ebay are 20

This is on Fanatics Live. They started this morning at 10am eastern. It's now 2:23pm and they are only on case 29 despite doing it assembly line style lmao. I've watched a few boxes and saw a Rich Hill base or two go by, but mostly I'll just see what shows up at my door.

The Corbin Carroll spot went for $10k btw. Gunnar was $7.5k, Adley was $4k. If I had that kind of money to spend on cards that's absolutely not how I would spend it, but hey I'm glad someone is willing to do it!

e: here's the link if anyone wants to see, they're pretty much only stopping to show/sleeve low numbered autos https://www.fanatics.live/shows/d32cd5bd-b751-4343-8b7c-437077c82e2c

camoseven fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 15, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fanatics has completely gone off the rails. Boxes of 2023 Bowman Draft baseball START at $480 for a jumbo box

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fanatics has completely gone off the rails. Boxes of 2023 Bowman Draft baseball START at $480 for a jumbo box

lmao and lol

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

camoseven posted:

This is on Fanatics Live. They started this morning at 10am eastern. It's now 2:23pm and they are only on case 29 despite doing it assembly line style lmao. I've watched a few boxes and saw a Rich Hill base or two go by, but mostly I'll just see what shows up at my door.

The Corbin Carroll spot went for $10k btw. Gunnar was $7.5k, Adley was $4k. If I had that kind of money to spend on cards that's absolutely not how I would spend it, but hey I'm glad someone is willing to do it!

e: here's the link if anyone wants to see, they're pretty much only stopping to show/sleeve low numbered autos https://www.fanatics.live/shows/d32cd5bd-b751-4343-8b7c-437077c82e2c

Oh so this is WhatNot but with somehow even more scamming, ok

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Was going through some old baseball cards today and found this gem.

A 1992 Leaf, from the days before photoshop, you just know Boggs was totally down to wear that.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Tried to go to my LCS for Black Friday deals. Got there 15 minutes before open and the line was at least 150 people long. The earliest ones had started lining up 2 hours before open. Came back an hour later and the line was still out the door. No thanks, I am not cut out for competitive shopping!

Happy they are doing well and will never go out of business, at least!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Monday_ posted:

Was going through some old baseball cards today and found this gem.

A 1992 Leaf, from the days before photoshop, you just know Boggs was totally down to wear that.

he was probably drunk as hell and didnt need much convincing

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah and the only reason this has been at all sustainable is the existence and proliferation of Breakers, who divide that cost among gambling addicts

It's really bad and only going to get worse

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I lol at the people who post on instagram/reddit/card forums their personal breaks that are just so shockingly bullshit in search of some kind of clout

“Hey guys I bought two blasters of topps chrome at target and got this orange auto /25 of The Main Guy, a gold auto /50 of The Second Guy, the Matt Olson superfractor and a red /5 refractor of Julio Rodriguez did I do good???????”

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
all those big breaking orgs simultaneously saved cards and ruined em at the same time

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake
Does anyone want to break this box of 1989 Topps baseball with me? This is your chance for a very valuable John Smoltz rookie card.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sunk Dunk posted:

all those big breaking orgs simultaneously saved cards and ruined em at the same time
Another weird side effect of the pandemic too

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

everwake posted:

Does anyone want to break this box of 1989 Topps baseball with me? This is your chance for a very valuable John Smoltz rookie card.

I’ll take the Gary Sheffield Future Stars spot if this break is still open

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake

Chief McHeath posted:

I’ll take the Gary Sheffield Future Stars spot if this break is still open

It'll cost you a pretty penny but I'll throw in one of the sticks of gum for you.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Reviving the thread with a rare WBC Ohtani

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The WBC Shohei cards are really cool. It was great to see him on a new and different team

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I haven't spent a cent on wax in months and have been living on the low end $1-4 shipped cards. Taking advantage of Buy X Get Y free sales, combined shipping deals, sometimes just being the only person to bid on an item, adding the lowest BIN to my watchlist for a day to see if the seller offers a little lower.

Just Reds cards in all blends and colors of parallels and refractors, die cuts and minis, and inserts and rookies. Low-end game used of Reds guys and Other Guys, too. Singles are The Way and I've been enlightened. For the price of a blaster I can get 5-15 cards I like or find unique instead of growing towers of base cards. I like Chrome, Finest, numbered Topps, refractors and rookie parallels and Joey Votto.

Also, from the low-end, I'd like to say that Lava and Wave and RayWave and Sonar and Blue Prism and whatever refractors are Okay. I get it if you think they're wack or you think they water down the product. There are varieties that I think bite (anything black & white), but from this garbage bidder's perspective, they're fantastic! If it sells for the same price as a base refractor, I'll take (most) whatever wack, numbered and/or colored refractor you don't want.

Purple refractors can go, while pink refractors are disrespected. IMO pink refractors should be /50 or better.

If anyone has a 2009 or 2011 Joey Votto base Topps Chrome refractors please PM me I will buy them.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 20, 2024

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else taken a look at the promotional materials for 2024 Topps Baseball Series 1? Personally, I think they look pretty awful for the flagship product. The whole neon vibes aesthetic is such a departure from the cleaner white borders used for previous years. While it may be an unfair comparison, I'm reminded of the 1991 Fleer as comparable terrible set design.

https://www.topps.com/cards-collectibles/2024-topps-baseball-series-1-hobby-box-pre-order.html

Sy Borg fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 8, 2024

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm pretty sure it was designed to look good with parallels. I kinda like the base, but it's definitely over the top.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm fine with it. It's something different and not too showy.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

2024 Series 1 looks like a bunch of neon Eat At Joe’s signs, dreadful

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I picked up a raw Bill Ripken Fuckface card for $30 at a local card show.

Ive taken a break from group breaking, Im surprised how much money I was spending. I didn't spend more than 30 a spot.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

mp5 posted:

2024 Series 1 looks like a bunch of neon Eat At Joe’s signs, dreadful

I know it's not what you mean, but someone must remember this

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I’m interested in seeing how QC goes with the black top and white bottom. I felt like there were a ton of (junk) slabs for last year so maybe this will level out the grading demand.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I found an old basketball card worth a lot of money, how do I cash out?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

swap meet

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

I haven't had a lot of time recently to play with cards cause I got a new job and my kids are very very needy, but I was able to go to a Topps sponsored trade night last night at the local shop and it was awesome. Colts QB Anthony Richardson was there for a while which was very cool.

Everyone got a pack with 4 Rip Night cards. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who did the set and everyone I traded with was like "oh huh that's a good idea". Set collecting is dead as hell lol.

There were children there with singles worth more than my entire collection. Which is common for that shop based on location but still insane to me every time I see it.

I won a shirt in the raffle and traded for some great PC stuff! Overall had a blast.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 25, 2024

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

when i was ten i thought my Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey rookies would pay for college, now ten year olds carry around cases with baseball cards worth a year of tuition in them

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Is there a recommended app for scanning cards? I've been using Ludex and it's ok. My son is having a blast scanning cards so I figured I'd ask if there was something better.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

wandler20 posted:

Is there a recommended app for scanning cards? I've been using Ludex and it's ok. My son is having a blast scanning cards so I figured I'd ask if there was something better.

I know a lot of people who like Collx. I've never had much success with any of the scanning apps, myself

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
PSA bought SGC..

I hate how PSA's grading fee is based on the value of the card.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

joebuddah posted:

I hate how PSA's grading fee is based on the value of the card.

It's my least favorite thing about PSA grading, even worse than their bad turnaround times or the fact that they upcharge to grade autos

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
It makes me wonder what's going to happen now that PSA owns SCG

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
My friend bought three 2023 Prizm football mega boxes and he offered to sell me one at cost. I opened up the first pack and pulled a CJ Stroud purple pulsar parallel RC. He's selling the other two boxes now.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

I went slightly insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i hope you are mr. hill's father