Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

camoseven posted:

I went slightly insane.

now that's a mountain of dick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Brandon Marsh isn't the world's best player, but he is sure fun to watch. I like him so much the only 2023 card missing from my collection is the 1/1 Platinum, which will never show up, and the printing plates. Not pictured is the Golden Mirror variant and my duplicate Mother's Day pink.

After learning my lesson last year, 2024 will be the year of buying singles. Opening packs wasn't fun after the first few.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I told myself I'd never buy packs/boxes, but I impulse purchased a pack of Topps 2023 Chrome a few months ago at Target and was immediately disappointed. For the price I paid I got about $3 worth of value on cards for players I don't even like.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My buddy got really into doing breaks for people and when he tells me about it, I honestly cannot compute the motivation for doing it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I learned at a pretty young age that buying expensive boxes was always a bad idea if you expect a good return.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Yeah I read about it, preached it (even in this thread) but in a moment of weakness I saw a shelf full of boxes (it's usually empty) and picked one up. Thankfully it was like $30 or something, not a case/huge box to learn my lesson on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

$30 is nothing, but I remember buying a box for like $120 with money I had saved and I got maybe $20-30 worth of cards out of that box

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

$30 is nothing, but I remember buying a box for like $120 with money I had saved and I got maybe $20-30 worth of cards out of that box

I bought a case of 2022 Topps Series 1 which cost maybe $1600 bucks I think? I maybe got $25 of value lmao

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
at least i have those sweet wander franco rookie cards........i wonder how he's doing....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sunk Dunk posted:

I bought a case of 2022 Topps Series 1 which cost maybe $1600 bucks I think? I maybe got $25 of value lmao
In the entire case???

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

In the entire case???

i might be underselling it a bit, but it was definitely under $100 in the entire case

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I enjoy opening packs, but I also like buying scratchers and betting on sports. Gambling is fun! In moderation.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

camoseven posted:

I enjoy opening packs, but I also like buying scratchers and betting on sports. Gambling is fun! In moderation.

Stryker Breaks on Youtube has a couple videos recently of him buying scratchers and comparing them with opening cards. Kinda neat videos considering he actually made a video about that idea.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I've been out of the baseball card loop for a long time — is there a set right now that's relatively cheap if all I'm interested in is collecting? I don't care about pulling holo foils, signed cards, jersey scraps, etc. Does anyone still make old-school baseball cards that are only glossy on one side? Or is everything $6.99 a pack these days?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Splint Chesthair posted:

I've been out of the baseball card loop for a long time — is there a set right now that's relatively cheap if all I'm interested in is collecting? I don't care about pulling holo foils, signed cards, jersey scraps, etc. Does anyone still make old-school baseball cards that are only glossy on one side? Or is everything $6.99 a pack these days?

You want Topps Big League. 2023 should be $30-40 for a hobby box (so like $2 a pack). 2024 will come out at the end of the month and will likely be $50-60 for a hobby box, though that price will come down over time. You can also find blasters which are smaller boxes for cheaper.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Regular Topps and Topps Heritage are also still a thing

Although it seems like Fanatics may have killed my favorite brand which is Topps Heritage Minors

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

camoseven posted:

You want Topps Big League. 2023 should be $30-40 for a hobby box (so like $2 a pack). 2024 will come out at the end of the month and will likely be $50-60 for a hobby box, though that price will come down over time. You can also find blasters which are smaller boxes for cheaper.

That sounds perfect, thanks. Are those also sold by the pack? I think my kid would be into collecting, but I'd want to start small.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Splint Chesthair posted:

That sounds perfect, thanks. Are those also sold by the pack? I think my kid would be into collecting, but I'd want to start small.

Yep! If you wanna buy online I recommend DA Card World or Blowout Cards (although with such low end stuff you're fine buying on eBay or whatever). If you wanna buy in person you can sometimes find loose packs at big box stores like Target and Walmart, but your best bet will be a good card shop. Fair warning that there are a lot of bad ones out there lol

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

camoseven posted:

Yep! If you wanna buy online I recommend DA Card World or Blowout Cards (although with such low end stuff you're fine buying on eBay or whatever). If you wanna buy in person you can sometimes find loose packs at big box stores like Target and Walmart, but your best bet will be a good card shop.

I appreciate the info!

quote:

Fair warning that there are a lot of bad ones out there lol

This is why I've been out of the loop for so long, lol.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Splint Chesthair posted:

Topps also sells actual Complete Sets of their flagship series, if you just want to get a basic card of every guy guaranteed and put them in a binder

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
If you want a complete set of cards and DGAF about inserts, check out blowout forums. I bought a complete set of 2023 Topps Chrome from there. Sometimes you can snag pretty good deals because those folks break literal cases and cases of cards just looking for hits.

I almost bought this one a while back: https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1564966

$90 for the full base set and a bunch of inserts. Buy some page protectors and a binder and you're good to go for like ~$100 total.

If you want shiny, wait about 3-4 weeks after people get their hands on 2024 Topps Chrome and I'm certain you'll see deals there.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Is there a decently-priced line anymore that has some cool inserts but is also, I emphasize, not too expensive?

I like the inserts because that's part of the fun of breaking, for me, but then again I haven't broken in thirty years.

edit: used to be the regular lines would still have inserts that weren't super rare, so you could count on getting a few in each hobby box

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

mdemone posted:

Is there a decently-priced line anymore that has some cool inserts but is also, I emphasize, not too expensive?

I like the inserts because that's part of the fun of breaking, for me, but then again I haven't broken in thirty years.

edit: used to be the regular lines would still have inserts that weren't super rare, so you could count on getting a few in each hobby box

Yea the flagship products (series 1, series 2, and update) totally still do inserts. I'm collecting the Superstar Blueprint inserts from this year and got 3 or 4 from the hobby box I opened.

I'll post some of the sets I've collected later today, maybe. Inserts rock!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I think this might help me get back into knowing all the players in the league, used to be a time when I did, but I lost track of MLB around 2008 until Shohei brought me back.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
My dad is a gambling addict and wants to open product that has a minuscule chance for a huge hit. I was thinking maybe 2018 bowman chrome for ohtani rookies or maybe chasing trouts rookie from 2011 update. Any other good suggestions?

E: doesn’t have to be baseball

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Topps Heritage looks really cool. drat them for knowing what I want in a card.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

mdemone posted:

Topps Heritage looks really cool. drat them for knowing what I want in a card.

Topps Archives (maybe but probably not including all the Signature Series versions they do) might be up your lane too.

I can't mess with Big League because it reminds me too much of all the lovely cards I got when I was a kid. While many of my friends were able to get their hands on Pinnacle, Flair, Upper Deck, the good stuff, I was stuck with Donruss Triple Play, O-Pee-Chee Premier, The Conlon Collection, K-Mart All-Star sets and whatever old Fleer and Score packs were at discount.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

So based on the thread’s advice I ended up getting some packs of basic Topps 2024 and we pulled a relic card on the first try (containing Pete Alonso’s bat tape, apparently). My kid was mainly excited to determine what order each team should appear in the binder.

He’s also leaving the first spot on the Dodgers page open for Ohtani, like Elijah at the Passover table, lol.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A bat tape card? I didn't know that was a thing. I do remember when they briefly put game used field dirt cards into some sets in the early 2000s.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Yea I'm not sure about a bat tape card, either. You sure it's not just a piece of the bat?

Regardless, if your kid wants a care package of cards hit me up and let me know what teams/players he likes. I have so much extra base and low dollar inserts lol

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

This is the card we pulled (not my listing, just the first result on Google):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176241718357

The description says it includes a piece of jersey and bat, but the material doesn’t look or feel anything like a jersey. I assumed it was tape based on the texture and color, but I could be totally wrong.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Yeah, that is the inside wood of the bat. They slice them up into a bunch of little slices that are pretty much unrecognizable as anything other than 'wood'.

Unless you are Manny Ramirez.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Yikes!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...8J8yhcP19QFRo7c

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Only in America can a guy just fly in and monopolize entire industries in a matter of years, and probably do all sorts of illegal poo poo and will most certainly get away with it

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
I work in the industry. I think it would be a real shame if a trafficked sex slave bit Rubin's dick off at one of his white parties

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

insideoutsider posted:

I work in the industry. I think it would be a real shame if a trafficked sex slave bit Rubin's dick off at one of his white parties

Send the same investigators that took down Diddy

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
Honestly, it's the best thing I can hope for. Panini probably won't win any of their lawsuits.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Jesus Christ, I knew Michael Rubin sucked but he SUCKS.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

I got some pretty sweet 3D printed card boxes. Each one holds 100 top loaded cards!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
I am up to 735 unique Bo Bichette cards in my PC. That feels like a lot, but it's only 10% of his total cards released so far.

I don't really understand why I am amassing these, but it sure is fun! I guess it's the hunt giving me something to do, the dopamine hit I get from impulsively buying them, and my love of spreadsheets.