Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah that trend would continue with prospect hugging. I remember going into my local store in like 1998 and at that time a Red Sox prospect named Rick Assadoorian had Bowman cards valuing for hundreds of dollars in Beckett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
400 Fred McGriff rookie cards seems like a very funny thing to own. Could pull it out at parties and stuff

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

wallpaper a small nook with Fred McGriff cards

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that trend would continue with prospect hugging. I remember going into my local store in like 1998 and at that time a Red Sox prospect named Rick Assadoorian had Bowman cards valuing for hundreds of dollars in Beckett

There’s actually a weird story behind this. There was a collector online that was buying up literally every copy of the 2000 bowman’s best Rick Asadoorian he could in an effort to corner the market and drive up the price. I think at one point he ended up owning close to 25% of the print run - the second that one popped up on eBay or for sale on a newsgroup/message board, he pounced. The card listed for well over $100 in Beckett for a long time despite Asadoorian being at best a low-level prospect - it was all based on one collector buying the card. The guy ended up being a complete bust and that card may be worth a few bucks at best these days. But for a few glorious years, it was the most expensive card you could hope to pull from the product.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

GPTribefan posted:

There’s actually a weird story behind this. There was a collector online that was buying up literally every copy of the 2000 bowman’s best Rick Asadoorian he could in an effort to corner the market and drive up the price. I think at one point he ended up owning close to 25% of the print run - the second that one popped up on eBay or for sale on a newsgroup/message board, he pounced. The card listed for well over $100 in Beckett for a long time despite Asadoorian being at best a low-level prospect - it was all based on one collector buying the card. The guy ended up being a complete bust and that card may be worth a few bucks at best these days. But for a few glorious years, it was the most expensive card you could hope to pull from the product.

There was a guy who did this with a random Pinnacle football autograph from 1997 or 1998 too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

GPTribefan posted:

OK that's pretty funny, I hadn't heard that before

I wonder how much money that guy burned on his cards

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

OK that's pretty funny, I hadn't heard that before

I wonder how much money that guy burned on his cards

Here’s another good one:

In 1996, Topps revamped their premium Finest product in baseball to include tiers of rarity within the base set - common bronze, uncommon silver, and rare gold. They also made refractor parallels of each tier that were quite rare themselves. The crown jewel of the product was the Rare Gold refractors - Topps advertised them as being limited to no more than 150 copies of each of the 26 cards, although they were not serial numbered.

One daunting collector decided he wanted to obtain as many of the Greg Maddux rare gold refractors as possible, picking them up on message boards, at shows, and on newsgroups. In the days before eBay and online retailers were a real thing, he managed to accumulate quite the collection. He was paying upwards of $900 at one point, as sellers realized he would do anything to get every copy and began to gouge the guy. He made a big deal on the then-popular AOL message boards when he finally acquired the 150th and final copy of the card, doing the seemingly impossible. He unfortunately made a BIGGER deal, tho, when he found and purchased the 151st.

He ended up amassing over 220 copies of the card that was allegedly limited to 150 - he first realized it was a problem when he ended up buying almost 50 copies of this “rare” card in less than a week. it became a running joke on the boards that he now owned close to 150% of the print run. He ended up filing a lawsuit against Topps for a number of reasons ( along with a Jaromir Jagr collector who experienced the same problem with the Finest Hockey product), settling out of court for the amount he paid for his cards plus damages. He was estimated to have spent close to $200,000 to get those Maddux cards.

Topps had come up with every excuse in the books to sidestep the controversy - the cards were counterfeit, they were back-doored by a thieving employee, they printed an excess amount to account for damages or replacements…. An official explanation was never given by Topps, who repeated the format for the product in 1997 without announcing print runs.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Traded that Soto auto yesterday for (among other things) a bunch of Pirates vintage. I'm pretty happy with it!

One of the other things I got in the trade was a box of Clearly Authentic, which is an $80 product that contains one autographed acetate card. I pulled... a non-RC, non-numbered Joey Bart, further proving that buying packs/boxes is dumb as hell and focusing on singles is where it's at.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I remember way back in HS when I was buying boxes more often, I bought a box that was like $140 at a show, and the stuff I pulled you could find on eBay for maybe $40 total

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I remember way back in HS when I was buying boxes more often, I bought a box that was like $140 at a show, and the stuff I pulled you could find on eBay for maybe $40 total

Yep!! Don't get me wrong, it's fun and I enjoy the lottery aspect of it. But much like the lottery you will lose most of the time lol

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I wanted a box of WWE Select but my LCS didn't have it, so I picked up one box of the Clearly. Pulled a Bobby Witt RC /75. Sometimes it works out

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

lloyol posted:

I wanted a box of WWE Select but my LCS didn't have it, so I picked up one box of the Clearly. Pulled a Bobby Witt RC /75. Sometimes it works out
Is it signed

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Yea, everything in Clearly is signed. It's one card per box and it's always an acetate autograph

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Very nice

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

https://imgur.com/a/PHSe7jz

Yes!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

camoseven posted:

Traded that Soto auto yesterday for (among other things) a bunch of Pirates vintage. I'm pretty happy with it!

One of the other things I got in the trade was a box of Clearly Authentic, which is an $80 product that contains one autographed acetate card. I pulled... a non-RC, non-numbered Joey Bart, further proving that buying packs/boxes is dumb as hell and focusing on singles is where it's at.

Yikes

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Darkwolf used to run the breaks in the hockey thread and it was a great time. I still collect just hockey since it is my favorite sport and other sports are silly expensive, but I appreciate the hobby and the brands Topps puts out. Looking forward to what people share!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1ixrPuKZM

This is an extremely funny, interesting, and very transparent interview with the CEO of Leaf from this morning. Highly recommend checking it out, it's only like an hour. Also you get to see me win a box of Leaf Pro Set lol

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Thanks for making a new thread.

What are the thoughts on the rumor that Fanactis is buying Panini America?

I'd like to see NT / Flawless stay. I like the thick cards with things like bat knobs, logomen and cleat spikes

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

joebuddah posted:

I'd like to see NT / Flawless stay. I like the thick cards with things like bat knobs, logomen and cleat spikes

I'll believe it when I see it, but if it does happen it would be disappointing. I don't love unlicensed product, but they do some great inserts and parallels, and the patch autos are usually super cheap and look great.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

camoseven posted:

I'll believe it when I see it, but if it does happen it would be disappointing. I don't love unlicensed product, but they do some great inserts and parallels, and the patch autos are usually super cheap and look great.

The inserts are amazing. If it's true, it gives me hope that all the redemptions might get filled. Once they lose the players license, they have no reason to fullfill things

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

E: wrong thread

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

joebuddah posted:

If Fanatics bought Panini that would give them an almost total monopoly of sports cards

Granted, as it is the sports leagues are going all-in on a de-facto monopoly with Topps/Fanatics already so..

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Gerblederp posted:

E: wrong thread

drat I thought someone was here to complain about the Topps Chrome fiasco.

Synopsis: Topps Chrome was delayed by months and costs like double what it did last year. They added a bunch of crappy veteran autographs to what was previously a rookie only auto checklist, and to sorta make up for it they added short print rookies of some of the Hot Stars (J-Rod, Witt, 3 others).

Anyway it finally comes out. Boxes are opened. Group breaks are broken. Bad autos are had. Rookie short prints are.... not? They were not. None were opened on stream, none showed up on eBay. Days go by, rumors and theories proliferate. Were they late additions so they aren't in the first wave of boxes? Did they somehow become retail only? Are they 1/1? Or maybe they just don't exist!

Well we finally got an answer:

Topps posted:

Topps' highest priority is our customers, and we want to provide you all with an update. As soon as we became aware of the questions regarding the 2022 Topps Chrome Baseball product, we immediately reached out to the manufacturer to uncover any issues. We now understand that the planned bonus short print parallels of five rookie subjects were incorrectly not included in the collation of the hobby boxes. As the short print parallels were originally not part of the set and later added for an additional chase element, there was unfortunately a technical miscommunication about the product mix in the production process.

For all future shipments of Chrome and for customers that have already purchased product through Topps.com and hobby shops or breakers that purchased directly from us, we will provide 1 additional 2-card silver pack for each 2022 Topps Chrome Baseball hobby box purchased. The short print parallels will be randomly inserted in these packs. We are working directly with every distribution channel of the product to ensure these packs are properly distributed through the original sellers.

Our customers are and continue to be the main focus in everything that we do. Human errors unfortunately happen and when they do, we want to make it right. We are working to implement additional safeguards to minimize these types of mistakes in the future and will continue to strengthen our processes with partners. Stay tuned for more - we are quickly working on this and will provide further updates ASAP.

Nice work, Topps. And that statement is clear as mud. I'm sure the big breakers will do an admirable job of equitably distributing those packs to people who paid in thinking they had a shot at the rookies. :laugh:

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

camoseven posted:

drat I thought someone was here to complain about the Topps Chrome fiasco.

Synopsis: Topps Chrome was delayed by months and costs like double what it did last year. They added a bunch of crappy veteran autographs to what was previously a rookie only auto checklist, and to sorta make up for it they added short print rookies of some of the Hot Stars (J-Rod, Witt, 3 others).

Anyway it finally comes out. Boxes are opened. Group breaks are broken. Bad autos are had. Rookie short prints are.... not? They were not. None were opened on stream, none showed up on eBay. Days go by, rumors and theories proliferate. Were they late additions so they aren't in the first wave of boxes? Did they somehow become retail only? Are they 1/1? Or maybe they just don't exist!

Well we finally got an answer:

Nice work, Topps. And that statement is clear as mud. I'm sure the big breakers will do an admirable job of equitably distributing those packs to people who paid in thinking they had a shot at the rookies. :laugh:

If you didn’t think the fiasco could get any worse, it’s seems these short printed rookie cards mysteriously made it ONLY into the topps.com exclusive “Lite” boxes.

People are beyond pissed. The silver packs are going to be a joke and you’re relying on traditionally shady people to distribute these things fairly. Topps Chrome is a disaster of a product every year, and yet for some reason people still flock to it at ever-increasing prices and production. The retail product ALONE for this release is going to more heavily produced than hobby and retail COMBINED from 2 years ago, and there’s now even more packaging varieties and pack types than ever before.

I’ve never been happier to have exited the case breaking game when I did in 2018

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
The guy that lives across the street from me has 1.5-2 million baseball cards starting from the 1920s. most is boxed by manufacturer and year. He's a horder who also imports chow chows from Ukraine to breed and resell. If the dogs disobey him more than once he ships them back.

You can see some boxes of cards he's sorting thru In the window.

He also wants someone to come help sort,value and catalogue through all his cards for "an experience" but doesn't want to sell through ebay, or pay the help for their time. He has a full on grading station but as far as I know doesn't sell anything. Just catagorizes and boxes it then boxes it up.

We live in northern Canada so no idea where or how he got this many cards.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Ok that wasn't the kind of story I expected but it's very funny. The dog flag is sending me, I've never in my life seen anything like it

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

camoseven posted:

Ok that wasn't the kind of story I expected but it's very funny. The dog flag is sending me, I've never in my life seen anything like it

This is his motorhome

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I haven't posted in a while because I keep having to pay for stupid poo poo breaking around the house. Glad to see people have kept this bad boy semi-alive.

Just got mail from PSA that I sent in a long rear end time ago

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I loved those cards when I was a kid...I managed to get my parents to buy me a box of the 1997 Signature Series for my birthday one year and at the time it was crazy to get an auto per pack.

I remember that the first one I pulled in a separate pack was one of Scott Spiezio, which I believe was my first ever cert auto.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I've also started picking up signed jerseys from pristine auction. The ones I've bought are PSA or JSA certified. Most of the 80s and 90s stars go for ~$50 shipped.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

one thing I like is the confluence between baseball cards and etsy. I picked up this xacto blade Mashup of a few Chisolm cards, it's neat to look at even though it's technically worthless scrap.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
The downside of the Phillies winning a lot is that prices on their players' cards go way up.

I'll happily make that trade, though.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I collected a ton of junk football cards as a kid but I just got into baseball cards over the past few months. I've started buying boxes and opening one pack a day. I know it's a very stupid waste of money, but I recently celebrated 10 years without a cigarette and I figure this is an acceptable replacement.

Aside from that, I'm trying to buy singles and build a cheap Rangers collection. I'm really interested in modern players on throwback cards. Is there any easy way to see all of these? I know there are several different throwback products and sometimes they're inserts in "regular" sets, but say I wanted to find every modern Rangers player that's been on a 1986 Topps design card, how hard would that be?

Edit: Oh yeah, how do you decide to get a card graded? The only worthwhile card from my childhood football collection sells for about $150 ungraded, with no graded sales that I can find.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 30, 2022

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

What card from the junk era is still going for $150 ungraded? I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what it could be, but I am far more familiar with baseball sets of that era than football.

I am guessing it is at least two of an RC/auto(or some kind of relic)/HoF?

If the price differential in raw/slabbed for baseball and comics is any indication and you can't find any graded copies, it is probably worth it if it is in decent condition.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I am guessing it is at least two of an RC/auto(or some kind of relic)/HoF?

Yep, auto/HoF! It's a Sam Mills auto from '95, which I guess is not actually the "junk wax era." It's been in a screw-down for almost 30 years, so hasn't been banging around in a box or anything, but my eyes can't tell the difference between a PSA 6 and a PSA 10.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

The Classic Pro Line it looks like?

Yeah, if it is an autograph, especially one when they actually did on-card signings and not stickers, I would say get it graded.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

If you’ve had it in a screw down for that long your chances of getting it out in one piece are very slim.

Re: grading, grading a single card is pretty pricey. There are places that do group submissions where everyone interested can send their cards to one vetted person who then submits them for grading to get bulk pricing. Another thing to ask is are you grading it to sell it or grading it to make you happy? If you intend to keep it yourself and it already makes you happy, is it (1) worth the price of grading, and (2) will you somehow be less happy or disappointed with it if it comes back a 7 or 8 vs. a 9 or 10?

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 1, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The wait times for grading/authentication are also pretty bad right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The wait times for grading/authentication are also pretty bad right now

Truth. If you’re a new customer it can be especially bad. I think the wait time is up to 6-12 months now for PSA