Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was the early part of a group submission and it took like 4 months to get my stuff back, but that was earlier in the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Wait times are way better now. SGC is like a week, PSA is a month or two for bulk (usually).

I just submitted my first cards to PSA via my local card shop. Couple of Oneil Cruz rookies. Hoping for a 10!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FlamingLiberal posted:

The wait times for grading/authentication are also pretty bad right now
yeah it's real bad

camoseven posted:

Wait times are way better now. SGC is like a week, PSA is a month or two for bulk (usually).

I just submitted my first cards to PSA via my local card shop. Couple of Oneil Cruz rookies. Hoping for a 10!
can you tell PSA that, because I don't think they know, what with everything submitted at bulk rate still being ungraded as of right now

I sent in some coins about a month and a half ago to ANACS at bulk rate and they're already en route back to me. PSA is a shambles and/or a scam. a scambles

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah it's real bad

can you tell PSA that, because I don't think they know, what with everything submitted at bulk rate still being ungraded as of right now

I sent in some coins about a month and a half ago to ANACS at bulk rate and they're already en route back to me. PSA is a shambles and/or a scam. a scambles

I'm just telling ya what people on discord and Reddit tell me!!! We'll see what happens with my submission lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PSA has been backed up for like two years

It definitely didn't help that a ton of people got into card collecting during the pandemic

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

FlamingLiberal posted:

PSA has been backed up for like two years

It definitely didn't help that a ton of people got into card collecting during the pandemic

Even with shutting down submissions briefly and raising prices it doesn't seem to have helped the delays either

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Does PSA accept submissions for grading at shows, or did I dream that?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Red posted:

Does PSA accept submissions for grading at shows, or did I dream that?

At bigger shows, yea

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://www.ebay.com/vault

what the actual gently caress.

Buy a card, and then send it to a vault where you can never see it or hold it, but trust us bro, it's there, you can even re-sell it!

Of course, if you're buying something that's already in the vault, it doesn't go anywhere, just the seller get money (and eBay takes a cut) and nothing happens at all to the card.

This feels insane

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like I've seen multiple places offer poo poo like that, definitely at least PSA has.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Shrecknet posted:

Buy a card, and then send it to a vault where you can never see it or hold it, but trust us bro, it's there, you can even re-sell it!

Of course, if you're buying something that's already in the vault, it doesn't go anywhere, just the seller get money (and eBay takes a cut) and nothing happens at all to the card.

This feels insane

It's cards as an investment, not a hobby/collection

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Shrecknet posted:

This feels insane

That’s what eBay vault is? I’ve seen ads but just guessed it was some sort of additional layer of authentication by eBay for high value cards maybe with secure storage or something.

There are a lot of strange coincidences with a lot of grades 6 and 8 becoming 9s and 10s (the coincidences are they’re trimming the cards): https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1298835

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Chief McHeath posted:

That’s what eBay vault is? I’ve seen ads but just guessed it was some sort of additional layer of authentication by eBay for high value cards maybe with secure storage or something.

There are a lot of strange coincidences with a lot of grades 6 and 8 becoming 9s and 10s (the coincidences are they’re trimming the cards): https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1298835

That "additional layer of authentication" is its own scam that eBay is running, separately.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Happy Allen & Ginter release day to those who celebrate!!!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fanatics Topps is sure pushing a bunch of poo poo back this year

A&G usually came out in the summer

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fanatics Topps is sure pushing a bunch of poo poo back this year

A&G usually came out in the summer

Yea a bunch of stuff is pushed, I hope they get their poo poo together for next year.

I opened 3 boxes, got 2 rip cards and a brooklyn back mini. Plus since it's release day a guy gave me all his extra base and inserts, which rocks cause doing the sets is the best part!!!

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Haven't posted in here in a while because a bunch of poo poo happened and I ran out of money for baseball cards. Glad to see people are keeping it semi-alive. Didn't know A&G was out, my favorite set of the year.

I did just get back an order I sent to PSA a long time ago, and finally completed my set of 1891 Allen and Ginter Prize and Game Chicken set (50/50). Unfortunately, 2 came back as altered. Still, it's nice to finally have the whole set. A&G for life.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Sunk Dunk posted:

Haven't posted in here in a while because a bunch of poo poo happened and I ran out of money for baseball cards. Glad to see people are keeping it semi-alive. Didn't know A&G was out, my favorite set of the year.

I did just get back an order I sent to PSA a long time ago, and finally completed my set of 1891 Allen and Ginter Prize and Game Chicken set (50/50). Unfortunately, 2 came back as altered. Still, it's nice to finally have the whole set. A&G for life.

Holy poo poo this is the best collection I've ever seen

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
rename the thread "pictures of chickens more successful than me"

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

camoseven posted:

Holy poo poo this is the best collection I've ever seen

I am just sitting here staring at chickens.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sunk Dunk posted:

Look at that 8 silky cock, wow

I know what I said

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
thank u for the kind chicken words. for over 100 year old cards, they aren't too expensive to collect, so it makes it a fun set building experience.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is sports memorabilia, but how the hell are you turning down $3 million for a ball that isn't even the HR record

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35046724/aaron-judge-record-hr-ball-heading-auction-3m-offer-declined

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Sunk Dunk posted:

thank u for the kind chicken words. for over 100 year old cards, they aren't too expensive to collect, so it makes it a fun set building experience.

How not expensive are we talkin?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Not specifically "Baseball" cards. So I am sorry if it is not what this thread is about. But it is about sporting cards in general, so I hope my little anecdote is OK.

I'm from Australia, where we play a version of football not played/understood anywhere else in the world, (and indeed not understood/played by a 1/3 of Australia).

Anyway, I have an American friend who was about to give birth to her first child. And I thought it would be a good gift to her to give her baby an AFL team to barrack for. So I bought a pack of footy cards from the local shop and for the baby's birth I posted her a card, saying that she now supported this team, (Hawthorn) and that the player, (Tom Mitchell, who now plays for Collingwood), was to be her favourite player. A silly little thing. But it was fun, so I then sent my friend and her husband footy cards from the pack, saying the same thing. Here is your new footy team which you will love dearly from now on, and this is your favourite player. With the rest of the cards in the pack, I continued the silliness by sending them off to random celebrities, including Japanese Female Pro Wrestlers, (if it got to her, then Maki Itoh is now a North Melbourne supporter). All in good fun.

Well the friend I initially sent the card to was tickled enough by my throwaway gesture, that she did one of her own. And one day in the mail I get a Sacramento Kings basketball card of a player that retired more than 10 years ago, with a little note telling me that I now have an NBA team to support, and that this bloke, (who didn't even finish his career at the Kings), is my favourite player.

I thought that was a very sweet gesture, considering she had to actually look for a Sacramento Card featuring this guy, and all I did was walk to the milk bar and pick a pack off the counter.

Again, sorry it's not baseball cards, but that is my sporting card story.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pretty sure being a Sacramento Kings fan is a felony

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It's a good story though

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I hope the Sacremento Kings player is Jason Williams.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

RCarr posted:

Vlade

Sidenote - still in awe of that bird set. Absolutely cool to see.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RCarr posted:

Doug Christie.

I looked him up on Wikipedia, and he is now the Assistant Coach of Sacramento. I know literally nothing else about him except for that my friend Jen recommended him to me, and thus he is now and forever my favourite basketball player.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

camoseven posted:

Yea a bunch of stuff is pushed, I hope they get their poo poo together for next year.

I opened 3 boxes, got 2 rip cards and a brooklyn back mini. Plus since it's release day a guy gave me all his extra base and inserts, which rocks cause doing the sets is the best part!!!

I opened two boxes and I told my lcs I hope I don’t get a hot box because I like building the set. First box was a hot box, but at least I got Julio and Wander rc’s out of it. I have yet to pull a rip card in my collecting days and I have no idea what I’d do if I ever got one.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I always wondered why A&G sets had so many random things in it, like my favorite Charles Martinet card or the relic of some writer's sweater, but the chicken set suddenly makes it make sense.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

lloyol posted:

I opened two boxes and I told my lcs I hope I don’t get a hot box because I like building the set. First box was a hot box, but at least I got Julio and Wander rc’s out of it. I have yet to pull a rip card in my collecting days and I have no idea what I’d do if I ever got one.

I ripped mine! And got two of the same mini lol. But also got a Rickey Henderson Stained Glass mini which is *pretty* cool.

But not as cool as this sweet T206 I picked up today despite planning to just show my friend the shop and not buy anything:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

Not specifically "Baseball" cards. So I am sorry if it is not what this thread is about. But it is about sporting cards in general, so I hope my little anecdote is OK.

I'm from Australia, where we play a version of football not played/understood anywhere else in the world, (and indeed not understood/played by a 1/3 of Australia).

Anyway, I have an American friend who was about to give birth to her first child. And I thought it would be a good gift to her to give her baby an AFL team to barrack for. So I bought a pack of footy cards from the local shop and for the baby's birth I posted her a card, saying that she now supported this team, (Hawthorn) and that the player, (Tom Mitchell, who now plays for Collingwood), was to be her favourite player. A silly little thing. But it was fun, so I then sent my friend and her husband footy cards from the pack, saying the same thing. Here is your new footy team which you will love dearly from now on, and this is your favourite player. With the rest of the cards in the pack, I continued the silliness by sending them off to random celebrities, including Japanese Female Pro Wrestlers, (if it got to her, then Maki Itoh is now a North Melbourne supporter). All in good fun.

Well the friend I initially sent the card to was tickled enough by my throwaway gesture, that she did one of her own. And one day in the mail I get a Sacramento Kings basketball card of a player that retired more than 10 years ago, with a little note telling me that I now have an NBA team to support, and that this bloke, (who didn't even finish his career at the Kings), is my favourite player.

I thought that was a very sweet gesture, considering she had to actually look for a Sacramento Card featuring this guy, and all I did was walk to the milk bar and pick a pack off the counter.

Again, sorry it's not baseball cards, but that is my sporting card story.

You know, you should look up AFL Chipz as a neat little collectible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gently caress yeah, got my next batch of cards back from PSA. only took them about 3 and a half months. grades are mostly expected, 4-6s across the board, but one of them, a roberto clemente, graded at an EIGHT(!!!), albeit with the modifier of "OC" for off-center, which is unfortunate.

now the only ones left to come back are the economy priced ones that I sent off like, the first of august. so I should get those back sometime around mid-2023 at this rate.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
If you bought any chrome this year check out the new buyback program!

$20 store credit for base Judge and Goldy :staredog:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

Fred McGriff had a decent enough 1987. A friend's dad told us he thought he was going to make it and we should grab some of his cards. Grabbed a few 86 and 87 Donruss since those were the only cards for him yet. Then when the 88s came out and he had Fleer and Topps cards as well - I bought a box of 400 1988 Fleer Fred McGriffs. I think I paid 3-4 cents each.

It looks something like this, but about 20x

For a while the monthly Beckett guide had the card at a buck or so, but when you're 16 you don't really think or care about "how the Hell am I going to sell these?" The answer is "you won't" And considering the era of cards - 493 Home Runs or not, a box of 400 Fred (Major League Super Star) McGriffs isn't worth a whole lot in 2022.

Make that "Hall of Famer and Tom Emansky deemed BASEBALL SUPERSTAR" Fred McGriff.

Hell Yeah, Crime Dog.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tony Phillips posted:

Make that "Hall of Famer and Tom Emansky deemed BASEBALL SUPERSTAR" Fred McGriff.

Hell Yeah, Crime Dog.
lol drat, nice

I was able to sell 8 of those 10 cards I posted for about $2200, and the 1965 pete rose and PSA8 roberto clemente should sell shortly. quite happy with this result, although it seems that off center modifier on the PSA8 roberto clemente absolutely TANKS the value of it, a regular PSA8 one would be potentially multiple thousands, but this one couldn't even sell for 500.

looks like I'll have to send in some more stuff to get graded soon, so that I can get them back hopefully before next summer.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 5, 2022

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Captain Invictus posted:

lol drat, nice

I was able to sell 8 of those 10 cards I posted for about $2200, and the 1965 pete rose and PSA8 roberto clemente should sell shortly. quite happy with this result, although it seems that off center modifier on the PSA8 roberto clemente absolutely TANKS the value of it, a regular PSA8 one would be potentially multiple thousands, but this one couldn't even sell for 500.

looks like I'll have to send in some more stuff to get graded soon, so that I can get them back hopefully before next summer.

I have learned more about grading since my lasts posts, and am curious why you picked PSA and not SGC? They seem much faster, and vintage people apparently love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I dunno, I talked to some folks and they said PSA is the most reputable one to go with, so I've stuck with them. aside from beckett I'm unsure of many other grading services for cards. what are SGC's prices like compared to PSA's? And do their graded cards sell for comparable amounts for the same ratings vs PSA's on ebay?