Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Captain Invictus posted:

I dunno, I talked to some folks and they said PSA is the most reputable one to go with, so I've stuck with them. aside from beckett I'm unsure of many other grading services for cards. what are SGC's prices like compared to PSA's? And do their graded cards sell for comparable amounts for the same ratings vs PSA's on ebay?

Submission prices are similar. I shop around for bulk deals though, so I do SGC for $20 through a Discord group (my LCS charges $25), and PSA through my LCS for $20.
Sales prices on eBay are also similar. The rule of thumb that I've been told repeatedly is that SGC is better for vintage and PSA is better for modern, and there are definitely people who will ONLY buy SGC for vintage and vice versa. Anecdotally I've been on the hunt for T206 recently, and those seem to be almost exclusively graded via SGC.

Speaking of PSA, my first submission was received there on 11/14 and is already in the "Assembly" step, so hopefully I'll get that back before the new year. Pretty quick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Does anybody have a good cheap way to display a bunch of toploaders on a wall? I really don't want to buy a locked glass display box that costs twice as much as my entire collection.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Lester Shy posted:

Does anybody have a good cheap way to display a bunch of toploaders on a wall? I really don't want to buy a locked glass display box that costs twice as much as my entire collection.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/brogrund-glass-shelf-90524674/

I'm hoping to do something like this when I get a new house. Little floating shelf situation

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Please help I can't stop buying cards!!! I have all these arrivals to sort PLUS I gotta sort an A&G base set out!

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
im praying for you

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Sunk Dunk posted:

im praying for you

Thanks buddy. I just found another stack and a 400 count box lmao.

On the bright side the next release I'm interested in is Opening Day which isn't for a while and is cheap!

And for singles I'm just trying to get deals on prewar cards, some of which I will post here when they get back from grading.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

This is the card that made me quit collecting baseball cards. 1994 Fleer Ultra Award Winners Ken Griffey, Jr. Not rare at all, Award Winners were inserted in 1:3 packs. However, as a young kid in the early 90's, Jr. was of course one of my favorite players. Starting in the middle of the junk wax era, and with a miniscule budget, I was used to plain cardboard cards like the '90 Topps, the Yellow Fleer, the Red Donruss, and stuff like that. Fleer Ultra was wild, and this card with its glossy finish, bright gold backdrop, and metallic stamp stood out drastically from the rest of my collection. I can't remember what the Beckett magazine told me it was worth back then, but it was my most valuable card at the time by far, and all my friends thought it was cool.

Then one day, I came home from playing out in the cul-de-sac and found one of my little brothers in my bedroom. He had, for some reason, gotten a bottle of Elmer's and sat down and proceeded to glue bricks of my cards together. This, being one of the few in a toploader, was pulled out first and glued into the midst of a stack of cards that weren't even worth a penny back then. In a combination of fury and sadness, I threw all the cards back into the three-row cardboard box and put them on the top shelf of my closet. They traveled with us through many moves and relocations, and a few years ago when my parents were cleaning out their garage, they told me to take the box or it was going in the trash. I didn't even look inside, just took it home and again placed it in its spot on the top shelf of a closet.

Some 23 years after the gluing incident, after my friend's kid showed me some of the football cards he got in his advent calendar, I thought I ought to pull down that box and check it out. Happily, it seems Elmer's isn't formulated to stand the test of time and the wide majority of the cards were easily separated with very little indication they were ever stuck together. Some did end up getting trashed, but by and large the majority are still worth looking at. I was able to salvage a big stack of Braves cards as well as some other cool stuff that I didn't know was cool back then, like Manny Ramirez RC's and Cal Ripkens and Ozzie Smiths. Again, it's all from the junk wax times, so nothing of value, but they are really cool to me.

Anyway, I guess that's all to say that I'm back in the game. I bought a nice NM copy of the Griffey Jr Award Winners off eBay, along with a few other 90s things and a couple new cards that should be coming soon. Some of the new stuff like relics and refractors seem really crazy, and I'm looking forward to piecing together lineups from the 95 and 21 Braves, and 17 and 22 Astros, along with other stuff I think looks cool. Maybe some vintage Hank Aaron too.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Awesome story!!! Getting back in as an adult is super fun cause you can buy all the stuff you wanted as a kid. If you have any questions just post 'em up

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

camoseven posted:

Awesome story!!! Getting back in as an adult is super fun cause you can buy all the stuff you wanted as a kid. If you have any questions just post 'em up
Thanks! I have a ton of questions, but I'm answering them by reading and lurking a couple other spots. One I can ask though is this: is there a resource that will show you photos of all of "x" cards? Where "x" might be a player's name, or a certain set? Like if I wanted to find photos of all the different Chipper Jones cards, or if I want to see photos of all the cards from Topps Stadium Club 2022? Or is that something that isn't really done due to the volume of cards released? I want to find cards of players I like with images of them hitting the ball like this Yordan. The best I've found out to do so far is run a search on somewhere like cardboardconnection then cross reference it to either ebay or comc.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Thanks! I have a ton of questions, but I'm answering them by reading and lurking a couple other spots. One I can ask though is this: is there a resource that will show you photos of all of "x" cards? Where "x" might be a player's name, or a certain set? Like if I wanted to find photos of all the different Chipper Jones cards, or if I want to see photos of all the cards from Topps Stadium Club 2022? Or is that something that isn't really done due to the volume of cards released? I want to find cards of players I like with images of them hitting the ball like this Yordan. The best I've found out to do so far is run a search on somewhere like cardboardconnection then cross reference it to either ebay or comc.

Your best bet is probably trading card database, but it's all user uploads so it's pretty hit or miss

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

COMC would be best.

Adult Webmaster
Feb 3, 2023
A long long time ago in 2010 (and when I had a different login of Thompson) we used to break hockey cards in this very SAS. I don't know what happened to Darkwolf and the other guys who did it, but it was very enjoyable.

I just picked up a Leaf rookie auto of Tatis Jr in the UK. Some guy sold it on the low and didn't want to ship it back to the states. Sometimes being an American abroad in the UK has its benefits. (Rarely)

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

From a Walgreens blaster I found tucked back in the toy section, karma for never getting a Shaq rookie or any Beam Team in 92-93

https://imgur.com/gallery/868xEtD

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Dang, nice pull! I've been meaning to post photos of some cool poo poo I've gotten recently but I've been real tired. Maybe once my next batch of T206 come back from grading...

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Tomorrow I'm picking up my last batch of T206 back from SGC for a while and will post exciting photos.

But TODAY I wanna TRADE. Does anyone else wanna trade?? Hit up my large and tabulated want list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Am1json_Dzv0DWJLHahrJ30Ix40bM5Y-UYkckdFfBbM/edit#gid=1160343541

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
happy opening day, wish i had cards to post

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

camoseven posted:

Tomorrow I'm picking up my last batch of T206 back from SGC for a while and will post exciting photos.

But TODAY I wanna TRADE. Does anyone else wanna trade?? Hit up my large and tabulated want list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Am1json_Dzv0DWJLHahrJ30Ix40bM5Y-UYkckdFfBbM/edit#gid=1160343541

do you have the rodolfo SP from 2022 series 1? if not ill send it to ya 4 free

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Sunk Dunk posted:

do you have the rodolfo SP from 2022 series 1? if not ill send it to ya 4 free

No!! That would be awesome!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Monopolizing this thread to post this photo of my modest T206 Piedmont 350 back collection. I'm trying to do the Indy and Buffalo team sets then see where I wanna go from there. Recently laid off, so the 3 I just got back from SGC today will be the last for a while. Very happy with that 4 grade!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
bill malarkey is full of poo poo

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Steamer Flanagan is a pro-tier T206 name. Can't wait for Ohtani to break one of his records.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
those 206 are sick. i still only have the 1 rube wadell, but id love to pick up more eventually

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Not letting fred burchell near my kids

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
had a nice day at the ballpark even though my team is rear end. julio signed a card for me

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nice, he's going to be a star for a long time

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
After playing MLB The Show for the last three years, my interest for cards has piqued. I have a box of old cards from the late 80’s that aren’t worth anything, but I’m going to go through it anyways and pick out cards I like.

In the Show there is a binder system where you collect all the cards for players currently on a roster. It scratches the completion itch for me, is there anything similar now to show you what sets/series are out there? I know Becket was around but not sure if it’s still the standard or if there’s a better alternative.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Sunk Dunk posted:

Haven't posted in here in a while because a bunch of poo poo happened and I ran out of money for baseball cards. Glad to see people are keeping it semi-alive. Didn't know A&G was out, my favorite set of the year.

I did just get back an order I sent to PSA a long time ago, and finally completed my set of 1891 Allen and Ginter Prize and Game Chicken set (50/50). Unfortunately, 2 came back as altered. Still, it's nice to finally have the whole set. A&G for life.

This is from months ago but I just need to heap a little more praise here, that's just fantastic.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

esperantinc posted:

This is from months ago but I just need to heap a little more praise here, that's just fantastic.

thanks buddy!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sunk Dunk posted:

To kick off the thread, here are some of my favorite cards in my collection. Nothing too fancy:

1909 T206 Rube Waddell:

Are you for real? How much is that worth?

EDIT: I know it's not in good shape, but how many of those could have survived?

Also, there are so many interesting stories about him

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 28, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Some T206s are rarer than others

Partially because from what I’ve read, Honus Wagner was upset that his name was being used to sell tobacco and they only issued maybe 200 of his card before they stopped. It also may have been over a dispute of how much he was being paid for his likeness.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Charlz Guybon posted:

Are you for real? How much is that worth?

EDIT: I know it's not in good shape, but how many of those could have survived?

Also, there are so many interesting stories about him

I think I paid about 300 bucks for the rube. You can find some good deals on lesser known players - not that rube is under the radar, but he's not babe ruth or anything. Especially for the beat up cards. With cards this old, I don't really care too much about condition as long as I can get my hands on em

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sunk Dunk posted:

I think I paid about 300 bucks for the rube. You can find some good deals on lesser known players - not that rube is under the radar, but he's not babe ruth or anything. Especially for the beat up cards. With cards this old, I don't really care too much about condition as long as I can get my hands on em

You should have been able to acquire the Rube by waving something shiny.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Whoa, I didn't know there was a baseball card thread. Awesome! I just got back into collecting cards earlier this year after not having touched them since childhood (junk wax era).

When I got started, I was ripping packs but quickly learned that was not how I wanted to roll. I decided to collect cards of only one player: Bo Bichette. Why Bo? I dunno. I'm a lifelong Jays fan and he's my fave on the current roster. It helps that he looks cool and plays busy IF positions, so there's lots of action shots for card photos.

I am documenting my collection on Instagram: @bobichettecards https://www.instagram.com/bobichettecards/ . 200+ posted with more posted daily.

Edit: re-read it this morning and it looks like spam, lol. The IG is just a personal photo-documentation repository, and isn't monetized in any way.

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 29, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sunk Dunk posted:

With cards this old, I don't really care too much about condition as long as I can get my hands on em
reminds me of a conversation I had with a guy about a coin I sold that had graded at like a 2, out of 78 or whatever the top of the scale for coins is. It was a penny that wound up selling for like 500 bucks. I didn't get why it sold for that much when it was literally in a nearly ungradeable condition. he said that despite the condition, there's a lot of people who collect one of every penny ever made, and that particular one only had like 500k minted, most of which are lost to time or already in collections.

So even if it's in trash condition, since it's legit, there's a market for it. It's something to always keep in mind, like the mickey mantle I sent in to get graded but since it had a tiny crease in one corner, they rejected it for grading, but still slabbed it as authentic. That authentic mark, despite clearly meaning it can't be regraded, is also a form of value to people just looking to own any of that card they can get their hands on; knowing it's been viewed and declared legit by a professional is value in and of itself.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

i can still taste him posted:

Whoa, I didn't know there was a baseball card thread. Awesome!

I am documenting my collection on Instagram: @bobichettecards https://www.instagram.com/bobichettecards/ . 200+ posted with more posted daily.

Edit: re-read it this morning and it looks like spam, lol. The IG is just a personal photo-documentation repository, and isn't monetized in any way.

I have about 10% of your collection. I pulled his RC Gold Label base auto but I ended up selling it. I’m lazily working on his 2020 Inception rainbow. I pulled the base, and bought the green, orange, purple and pink parallels on eBay or FB. I’m missing the red parallel out of /99 and blue /25. They pop up on eBay occasionally but someone always beats me to it, or the seller doesn’t want to ship to Canada.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

lloyol posted:

I have about 10% of your collection. I pulled his RC Gold Label base auto but I ended up selling it. I’m lazily working on his 2020 Inception rainbow. I pulled the base, and bought the green, orange, purple and pink parallels on eBay or FB. I’m missing the red parallel out of /99 and blue /25. They pop up on eBay occasionally but someone always beats me to it, or the seller doesn’t want to ship to Canada.

Nice! Ya, 2020 Inception is a beautiful card. I got pumped when I saw the Blue come up the other day for $16, until I realized it was Topps BUNT... I also deal with living in Canada and getting owned on shipping (either no shipping to us, or $20USD shipping for one raw card)

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Edit: fuggit, double posting to add pic

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 4, 2023

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Rain Bo update (up to 22)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Who wants to hear a ~30 year old rant?

I have been buying old sealed boxes of junk wax to open for shits n' giggles; $5-20 for a fun little nostalgia bomb? Sure why not?

I always liked Upper Deck and have picked up a few boxes of various sets here and there and goddamn, their collation is the worst. I just opened two boxes of 1991 football earlier this week and for a 500-card base set, I am still missing just under 100 cards.

The first box started out with a bang as the first pack had a Game Breaker hologram and every other pack had one for a long stretch. Ended up with seven... of two players. That set also had the Montana Football Heroes and there were five in there. A few other notables were some base Montanas, Rice, and a Favre RC.

Second box was jam full of the Star Rookies, most packs had two, some had as many as five. Fortunately, that ended up with three Favres, but none of McGwire (other than the SR Checklist card he was on). Other than Oooops! All Rookies, that box was dire. One Game Breaker holo (fortunately it was someone different), two Montana Football Heroes, and the Darrell Green SP1.

I sorted them to see if there was a complete set, where I found out it was missing a pretty significant chunk. In addition to just the sheer number, there are fun little runs like #330-349 that I didn't pull any of. I got a fair number of Montana and Rice base set cards (can't say I am surprised since the Montana front AND back is on the box, so I am sure they were pushing him hard), but zero Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Troy Aikman, or Emmitt Smiths-the 'chase' players I remember from that time.

I'm not mad or anything (don't say I was mad...), I just find it amusing that the collation is just so terrible. Last summer I opened two boxes of their 1991 baseball since that is THE SET from my childhood. I don't think I was 100 away from that set being complete, but it wasn't great in terms of what was missing and how many x4 and x5 there were. No wonder I bought so much of that as a kid and felt like I wasn't even close to a set.

On the other hand, about the same time I got three boxes of 1992 Fleer Ultra Baseball and that collation is •chef kiss•. Complete 300-card set (though only having 300 is likely a huge benefit in that regard) from one box, and I remember the dupes were super close to making a second set. That first box was so great, I still have the other two unopened because I don't really see the point of opening more.

I have two boxes of 1990 Baseball, a regular wax box of 1991 Basketball and a box of 1991 Basketball jumbo packs to open at some point and I can't wait to see how those end up.

Thanks for coming to my TedTalk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The Panini 3 & 2 Redemption I got in a break of Wander RPA ruby /5 got delivered this week, just two weeks after I hit the 120-day mark and they sent the "hey want a substitute?" email and I hit "No thanks, I'll wait"