Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Well the first prerequisite with that is making sure what's being made is actually a story being told by a storyteller, you know. With most Marvel movies or Star Wars or whatever does it matter who the director is or what the cast looks like if it's not being made to explore an idea or convey any sort of personal truth? The casts and crew get more diverse but there's less intellectual diversity over time.
I think it's a valid point, but one that I think shouldn't be used as a bludgeon. Disney deserves a lot of poo poo, but we can also mistakenly run right into their own desire for us to see a corporation as a person. An example was the point made in this thread about how Disney puts in lovely and meaningless "gay" moments just to get press while not really telling gay narratives. Once you actually do some research though, there actually were creators who were pushing really hard for those choices against the corporation. She-Hulk-- which according to Youtube is the new low of wokeness for Disney-- has a good showrunner and a great star who've made something fun and interesting.

I think it's a fair critique, but one that can lead to buying into the very narrative it's critiquing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It might be because I love the film (and play), but I always considered 12 Angry Men a pointed commentary on how easily white America is willing to drat it's minority youths. There's even a line referring to the accused Puerto Rican boy with, "You know how they are."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

KVeezy3 posted:

Certainly, but the final part of this tripartite is representation as a tool of oppression, in the reassertion of an order with an outsized effect to those same people. Even taken idealistically, the end goal appears to be the uniform distribution of oppression/exploitation along diverse lines.

People have attempted to salvage this notion apolitically by creating a totalizing dichotomy between authentic/inauthentic representation. This unwittingly essentializes race/gender, as if black members of the professional managerial class have the same interests as black members of the underclass. To arrive on the other side of the looking glass: Jay-Z recently said that it’s racist to derogatively call him a capitalist.

In this form of analysis, the problematic is basically determined in its proximity to whiteness. Relatedly, is it concerning that a term you've invoked a few times in this thread, white fragility, was conceptualized & popularized by a white academic? Coincidentally, she also promotes a similar salve to white supremacy in her gig as a diversity consultant to corporations.

The use of race/gender rhetoric to undermine and attack class-based rhetoric is also a key part. I don't even need to get into 'Bernie Bros', or how 'Intersectionality' was dropped like a hot potato by so many people once 'intersectionality includes class' came up. See also #Girlboss, make that money Obama, etc.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think it's a valid point, but one that I think shouldn't be used as a bludgeon. Disney deserves a lot of poo poo, but we can also mistakenly run right into their own desire for us to see a corporation as a person. An example was the point made in this thread about how Disney puts in lovely and meaningless "gay" moments just to get press while not really telling gay narratives. Once you actually do some research though, there actually were creators who were pushing really hard for those choices against the corporation. She-Hulk-- which according to Youtube is the new low of wokeness for Disney-- has a good showrunner and a great star who've made something fun and interesting.

I think it's a fair critique, but one that can lead to buying into the very narrative it's critiquing.
I feel like this is at least to some degree people approaching the subject from the point of view of "The purpose of a system is what it does". The synthesis of Disney overlords + creatives is, on the whole, either grossly insincere "liberalism", or grossly sincere liberalism, no matter how sincere the efforts of or how actually not-hosed up any individuals involved are.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

A good post. There's numerous great examples of movies that are misogynist but also pass the Bechdel.

Passing the Bechdel test isn't a sign that you're a good movie, or even a feminist movie. It exists because it's remarkable how many movies don't pass the incredibly low bar it sets.

"Woke", used as a pejorative, means anything the person using it wants it to be. It's intentionally vague, that's why you'll find both right wing people using it to complain that there was multiple black people in the cast, but also from the left where some people might use it to refer to liberal virtue-signalling or performative allyship.

However in my estimate it's 9 times out of 10 a right wing interpretation similar to "PC", "SJW", or whatever.

As usual it's a term taken from black culture and twisted by white people to suit our purposes.

Ita actually hard to remember now that "Karen" was initially "suburban cul de sac white mom who calls the police on black people minding their own business." The Right tried hard, hard to call any leftist woman that, and still are, but it hasn't quite caught on like woke did.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Woke began when Trump was gaining popularity. His fans called themselves woke because they could finally see the light in Trump. Somewhere it flipped, probably on one of the chans, and it became an insult to include anything that wasn't white straight male. Someone mentioned Blade wasn't considered woke. I'd argue it most definitely would be if it was released to day, and i'm sure conservatives in the 70s had issues back then as well - it just wasn't a main stream issue as much as Capt. Kirk kissing Uhura was at the time in that era.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Philthy posted:

Woke began when Trump was gaining popularity. His fans called themselves woke because they could finally see the light in Trump. Somewhere it flipped, probably on one of the chans, and it became an insult to include anything that wasn't white straight male. Someone mentioned Blade wasn't considered woke. I'd argue it most definitely would be if it was released to day, and i'm sure conservatives in the 70s had issues back then as well - it just wasn't a main stream issue as much as Capt. Kirk kissing Uhura was at the time in that era.

Woke definitely did not begin this way. Is this a joke? Also, the Blade character is nearly fifty years old and has always been black. It's not a case of a POC or woman actor being cast in the role of a traditionally white legacy character, which seems to be one of the most common scenarios wherein media is referred to as "woke" pejoratively. If Blade were released today and people labeled the film "woke" merely because its about a black vampire hunter, those are the dumbest people in the world and nobody should pay attention to them.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think they’re confusing the red pill appropriation of MRA folks with being woke, or are a bot.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Philthy posted:

...and i'm sure conservatives in the 70s had issues back then as well - it just wasn't a main stream issue as much as Capt. Kirk kissing Uhura was at the time in that era.

Yeah, it doesn't get mentioned much now but if you go back to the 1970s and earlier a high percentage of conservatives weren't even engaging with movies, TV, music etc. Star Wars actually opened the floodgates in this respect.

Nowadays the religious right is on board and not afraid to step into a theater or own a television.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Rental Sting posted:

If Blade were released today and people labeled the film "woke" merely because its about a black vampire hunter, those are the dumbest people in the world and nobody should pay attention to them.

I think you missed Black Panther. It is absolutely what is happening today. Any person other than a straight white male is "woke". We are a month away from including other than blonde hair and blue eyes as well.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Philthy posted:

I think you missed Black Panther. It is absolutely what is happening today. Any person other than a straight white male is "woke". We are a month away from including other than blonde hair and blue eyes as well.

This is a pretty good example of where social media white people are at:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Philthy posted:

Indeed, I saw somebody go on a tear that Marvel should do a white version of a super advanced secret society, perhaps called Thule. The obvious was pointed out to him nearly immediately.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I feel like Black Panther has to be a special case, given that those people came around and celebrated the movie for being ideologically aligned with them after having watched it/being told what it was about. Which I suppose means they can actually identify with non-white protagonists/stories, they just need to be steeped in a specifically American type of race essentialism.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A common complaint I see about films that that used an existing IP but changed the race/gender of some characters is idea that a new character dynamic would be better served as a new film in itself. Once they get to that point, they can go back and claim that the people who make "woke" movies are creatively bankrupt, since they want to settle for taking an existing story and changing it to their liking rather than coming up with an entirely new one independent of that IP.

Recently on Twitter I saw nerds arguing that the lack of success/cancelation of a recent Scooby-Doo remake was because they made Velma Indian and queer. Why change it so much instead of just having a standalone story about a queer Indian girl that solves mysteries? They ask. This is part of a greater reactionary theory that claims many animated series that recently got canceled or utterly memory holed was solely due to it being "too woke" and by going out of their way to make it "woke" instead of "good" they sabotaged their own efforts. Then they'll often compare it to anime/manga to try to prove that the Japanese counterparts to these showrunners actually got their jobs on merit and not due to affirmative action, and that's why you can have anime with poc/queer characters without it being woke and bad :psyduck:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Don't try to make sense of their arguments, there isn't any. Especially when Japan is involved.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Panfilo posted:

A common complaint I see about films that that used an existing IP but changed the race/gender of some characters is idea that a new character dynamic would be better served as a new film in itself. Once they get to that point, they can go back and claim that the people who make "woke" movies are creatively bankrupt, since they want to settle for taking an existing story and changing it to their liking rather than coming up with an entirely new one independent of that IP.

Recently on Twitter I saw nerds arguing that the lack of success/cancelation of a recent Scooby-Doo remake was because they made Velma Indian and queer. Why change it so much instead of just having a standalone story about a queer Indian girl that solves mysteries? They ask. This is part of a greater reactionary theory that claims many animated series that recently got canceled or utterly memory holed was solely due to it being "too woke" and by going out of their way to make it "woke" instead of "good" they sabotaged their own efforts. Then they'll often compare it to anime/manga to try to prove that the Japanese counterparts to these showrunners actually got their jobs on merit and not due to affirmative action, and that's why you can have anime with poc/queer characters without it being woke and bad :psyduck:

There are varying degrees of ignorance but it's still ignorance. Stories are constantly being ripped off and remolded into things that are palatable for modern/domestic audiences. And that audience includes every single person who ascribes to brokeness via wokeness. A lot of them have fooled themselves into thinking their favorite thing is some 100% original work of art. It's not.

Going back to authenticity. Conservatives love war films but if you actually put a few hundred of them in a theater and showed them 100% authentic battles many would be sick and horrified. It'd be rated NC-17 (or banned) and have some of the most horrifying/nasty stuff that most couldn't even imagine. I remember meeting with a guy who survived The Battle of the Bulge and the unfiltered stories from actual veterans is the stuff nightmares are made of. It'll never be reenacted on film as it'd be highly offensive to even most edgelords.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Panfilo posted:

I do agree that hollywood should tell stories that are culturally based in minority experiences rather than *just* casting a PoC into a role that is still fundamentally a white story, because hollywood should not be just white euro storeis with diverse casting.

But that's not the argument those people are making. It's just a cover for them being mad that something that was "white" is being "taken" from them, and that PoC should be...uh...separate but equal(and they don't really want equal). Mostly seperate.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Jaxyon posted:

The fact that it was popularized by a white academic is part of white supremacy, yes. It's not a new concept and it's essentially a white woman selling things that black people have been saying for a long time, which white people are more willing to listen to because it comes from a white mouth.

There's a lot of grifting in the white anti-racism space.

Here's a discussion between two writers about DeAngelo specifically, her writing, and the term: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CL4uU1rn3kC/

I still use the term because like it or not, it's well known enough that people know what you're talking about when you say it. It's also used fairly widely even among activists of color.

What term do you prefer?

Specifically, the concept of white fragility (along with its sister term “white privilege”) are formally aligned with a distinct brand of white feminism. Much more generally, the approach can be traced back to Booker T. Washington in the treatment of racism as pure pathology.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't think that has to be the intent of widening diversity and representation at all, although you're right that some or many people view things that way.

Now, we can say that there are stories with diverse casts or from marginalized groups that are bad and just further tie into oppressive narratives, and that's true.. Adichie notes in her talk how while she has dealt with stereotypes of being Nigerian, she also comes from a wealthy family and had awful stereotypes of poorer people in her own home. But we can also look at films like Night of the Living Dead and Alien that were not written with Black actor or a man in mind, respectively. But the inclusion of those actors are so fundamental to what the final story being told ended up being. Weaver recently revealed how instrumental she was in getting the version of Alien that we know and a version with a male lead would be an entirely different film. Even in stories that are not in their inception Black or women stories can be transformed by a simple casting against who you'd expect the story to be about, deciding to tell a different story.

That may not be what people intend, but in the absence of articulating specific structural changes, one necessarily opens up the space for it to be easily co-opted. Of course co-option can happen to almost anything, but then we should be able to articulate/refine a cogent response. It was rudimentary for corporations to integrate diversity & white fragility/privilege discourse into their operations, and the results have been rather dubious; but what isn't is their improved ability to legally protect themselves, while still being able to profit from and reassert a racist society.

To be clear, I’m not saying that diverse stories don’t have value, but that it should be properly contextualized as media. If one is going to critique white supremacy in films, it must necessarily go deeper than skin, considering that diversity can also be a tool of white supremacy.

In aesthetic theory, some Marxists straight-forwardly locate an art object’s value in its capacity to resist the market — despite the film landscape being awash with fantastical/alien worlds, they are largely indistinguishable from our own. With The Northman, while undoubtedly benefiting from the whiteness of its story/cast in getting funded, we do get an encounter of something actually alien to our sensibilities, along with a critique of the mythic individual and his subjectivity contrasted with the economic/labor relations of the story.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The use of race/gender rhetoric to undermine and attack class-based rhetoric is also a key part. I don't even need to get into 'Bernie Bros', or how 'Intersectionality' was dropped like a hot potato by so many people once 'intersectionality includes class' came up. See also #Girlboss, make that money Obama, etc.

I think the geopolitical analogue is neocolonialism, where a country is allowed to keep its cultural signifiers (Language, religions, indigenous leaders, etc.), but the capacity for self-determination (Labor workforce, factories, natural resources etc.) is hollowed out.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

KVeezy3 posted:

Specifically, the concept of white fragility (along with its sister term “white privilege”) are formally aligned with a distinct brand of white feminism. Much more generally, the approach can be traced back to Booker T. Washington in the treatment of racism as pure pathology.

That's why i asked you what terms you prefer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

KVeezy3 posted:

I think the geopolitical analogue is neocolonialism, where a country is allowed to keep its cultural signifiers (Language, religions, indigenous leaders, etc.), but the capacity for self-determination (Labor workforce, factories, natural resources etc.) is hollowed out.

Oh, that's a good one. It's all the same poo poo in the long run, where only neutered and harmless expressions by smiling, helpless minorities are acceptable, in ways that are very specifically not a threat to aspirational capitalism. You can only have perfect victims of the completely inexplicable contagion of bigotry.

Now I'm weirdly reminded of how Japan's economic crash was basically being ordered by the US to commit economic suicide, and Europe is now following suit.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

People complaining that films are "woke" because they simply include a diverse cast (see 4chan, Rings of Power YouTube commentators, etc.) are so aggravating. Are people really plainly this bigoted and weirdly white nationalist? I hate how far the overton window has seemingly been pushed right to where these people even have a platform and recurring views -- why isn't everyone laughing them out of the room.

:(

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snuff Melange posted:

People complaining that films are "woke" because they simply include a diverse cast (see 4chan, Rings of Power YouTube commentators, etc.) are so aggravating. Are people really plainly this bigoted and weirdly white nationalist? I hate how far the overton window has seemingly been pushed right to where these people even have a platform and recurring views -- why isn't everyone laughing them out of the room.

:(

Disaffected youths (and loser adults) latch on to people talking about how their failures are not their own fault or those they were brought up to support but instead others in society screwing them over instead. "Woke" culture stuff is "they're taking our jobs" just applied to media.

Every generation has this; the Internet just gives it a more obvious platform. Generally, otherwise, we wouldn't even be seeing this until people organized to march or politically organize around it.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Rings of Power would get a lot less criticism if it were good

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

War and Pieces posted:

:hmmyes:

I've now had multiple conversations with people comparing Rings with House of the Dragon. And yeah, it turns out that despite both being spinoffs of more famous fantasy properties, the latter still attempts to draw interesting characters and has a propulsive plot while RoP is a billion-dollar exercise in if people will watch 10 hours of material indirectly relating to events they legally cannot depict.

Shockingly, the "can elves or magic dragon people be Black" question did not really speak to the quality of either series.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Here's another example of a person claiming anime isn't 'woke' because Shounen anime is the only media that depicts 'traditional' men.

https://twitter.com/305Independent/status/1576245003151556608?t=pBrIBFeNclBwn3B9VX9P1w&s=19

Here's a guy claiming Naruto is channeling Jordan Peterson :psyduck:
https://twitter.com/ReedMichaelMc/status/1582040625402490880?t=jCfv74FvvXUgGt2i92xJVw&s=19

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In what universe is Naruto about upholding tradition? He deliberately bucks it out of spite for the established order because the establishment treats him like poo poo, then breaks the taboo of the tailed beasts by actively working to release them from human control, which has been one of the things keeping the ninja wars in check for centuries Every major fight is basically the present cast fighting people from further and further back in ninja history so that they can be free to do anything BUT what they did.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

War and Pieces posted:

Rings of Power IS good.

The investment in "RoP is bad!!! bad!!" indicates there's a lot of stuff going on that isn't necessarily an objective review of the show.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Naruto's first kiss was Sasuke.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The 'anime is not political' because I guess they think Japan has no politics remains hilarious.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

To them politics is when you say things you know aren’t true so that you win points with people and to get cute girls to like you.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I AM GRANDO posted:

To them politics is when you say things you know aren’t true so that you win points with people and to get cute girls to like you.

And then they say things they know aren't true to win points with their crowd and they still can't get the cute girls to like them, so they lash out

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

24 years since Skunk Anansie released "Yes It's loving Political" and chuds have yet to grasp that literally everything is political.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I AM GRANDO posted:

Politics is when a woman is black and in a movie.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

In what universe is Naruto about upholding tradition? He deliberately bucks it out of spite for the established order because the establishment treats him like poo poo, then breaks the taboo of the tailed beasts by actively working to release them from human control, which has been one of the things keeping the ninja wars in check for centuries Every major fight is basically the present cast fighting people from further and further back in ninja history so that they can be free to do anything BUT what they did.

They are dumb, BE.

They are so, so dumb.

And not the good kinda dumb, the type where you don't know about a thing, but then go on to try to learn about it, but the bad kind, whereby they reinforce their own dumbness for fear of analysis.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Lumbermouth posted:

Politics is when a woman is black and in a movie.

Woman in movie: Political
Black woman in movie: Radically Political

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lol
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1583092516186132481?t=8-9gdcHcK94WBN_1pEcbhQ&s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow, it's like an episode of Leverage.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Dawgstar posted:

The 'anime is not political' because I guess they think Japan has no politics remains hilarious.

My "period" of anime was gnarly cyberpunk from 1988 on VHS tapes, but I remember bouncing off of it in my mid-teens because the sexual politics were usually pretty gross - of course, that's not true of all anime, but eroticised sexual threat was an incredibly common trope.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Disco Pope posted:

My "period" of anime was gnarly cyberpunk from 1988 on VHS tapes, but I remember bouncing off of it in my mid-teens because the sexual politics were usually pretty gross - of course, that's not true of all anime, but eroticised sexual threat was an incredibly common trope.

...yeah, that's one of the reasons I couldn't get into it myself.

I mean, now I know there are some which AREN'T like that, but all the stuff that I remember hearing about back in the day just made me feel real uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

80s anime is... okay when you get down to it not really that much worse or better than 80s anything else pop culture for sexuality (or racism or so on, and doesn't help all this pop culture feeds into each other) but still tends to be pretty awfully lurid.

Unfortunately like a lot of media it's the fringe stuff that often has the worst ageing and yet also some of the best and most progressive sexual themes, because it was all on the fringe back then. (the more horrible stuff less so)