Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wait what? I thought the chuds are all on the "peace at any cost" bandwagon now. Did he miss the memo or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think a lot of (or most?) people who've actually been on the frontlines of war are against war. Funny how that works.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, the absolute most antiwar people are those who've worked in hospitals and morgues near the front lines of really nasty and brutal conflicts. These people spend months at a time just sifting through body parts trying to piece horribly mangled bodies back together for identification and burial.

Meanwhile, some of the most prowar are young people living out there ideological fantasies and those working for weapons companies who've lived far away from any conflicts and see trillions of dollars rolling in.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

How the frik is the film more antiwar than the book?? I've consumed both and the book is Jesus Christ. The film has action scenes and character drama. The book lulls you into thinking it's an adventure story and then just repeatedly gut punches you. It's specifically written in and from a genre that was read by boys and young men who were going to grow up and potentially make war and it's a fricking reality check for them. And that's just comparing the intended audiences, let alone their actual impacts and content. Jesus Christ I have never been more mad that somebody has clearly lied about reading a book.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

King Vidiot posted:

I think a lot of (or most?) people who've actually been on the frontlines of war are against war. Funny how that works.

You'd think that, but go on Twitter and you'll find plenty of veterans that are huge war hawks, take tremendous pride in their service and worship the Chris Kyles of the US military. Their pretzel logic about all of it seems to be that its the GOVERNMENT that is bad, individual soldiers are just defending freedoms. So if you choose not to serve or protest directly you're a traitor /coward but if you serve and get mangled/traumatized it's the governments fault.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

How the frik is the film more antiwar than the book?? I've consumed both and the book is Jesus Christ. The film has action scenes and character drama. The book lulls you into thinking it's an adventure story and then just repeatedly gut punches you. It's specifically written in and from a genre that was read by boys and young men who were going to grow up and potentially make war and it's a fricking reality check for them. And that's just comparing the intended audiences, let alone their actual impacts and content. Jesus Christ I have never been more mad that somebody has clearly lied about reading a book.
There is zero chance this person read that book or anything not required for class.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait what? I thought the chuds are all on the "peace at any cost" bandwagon now. Did he miss the memo or something?

no chuds lie they love military poo poo

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

King Vidiot posted:

I am friends with a former marine who served (and was wounded twice) and he was telling me how awesome the movie is and I need to watch it since I love action movies...

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

I am friends with a former marine who served (and was wounded twice) and he was telling me how awesome the movie is and I need to watch it since I love action movies...

Marines tend to be quite a bit different than the other armed forces.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lampsacus posted:

I don't think any of these morons have consumed any media that was made prior to mid 2010's

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nazis literally burned All Quiet On The Western Front. Who cares what they think.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Madkal posted:

I don't think any of these morons have consumed any media that was made prior to mid 2010's

No, I imagine they also uncritically consumed a ton of media from the 80's and 90's and have built out a false history whereby movies "back in the day" were earnestly apolitical and thus better. The things released post-2010 are explicit agitprop released by the pedophile lizard-person Left to turn children trans.

I made the mistake of looking at other things this specific guy has tweeted, and he's literally a white nationalist. But I've met plenty of people who aren't as mask-off about it, who nonetheless think that, like, Starship Troopers or RoboCop aren't actually satire, or that Travis Bickle is a badass.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember watching the DS9 where they cause the Bell Riots with my dad as a kid and my dad yelled about how they were making Star Trek too political, and that was when I realized how dumb he was. There is a certain kind of person who has no interest in critical thought or reflection.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xealot posted:

I made the mistake of looking at other things this specific guy has tweeted, and he's literally a white nationalist. But I've met plenty of people who aren't as mask-off about it, who nonetheless think that, like, Starship Troopers or RoboCop aren't actually satire, or that Travis Bickle is a badass.

Like the infamous Ian Miles Cheong quote "I bet you think Robocop is political."

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Look, it's very simple. A film is political when they prioritize sending a political message at the expense of the quality of the movie. If the movie is good, that means they didn't care that much about politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The original Bond was a WW2 veteran IIRC so he probably did.
In the novels Bond takes amphetamines (specifically Benzedrine) all the time, so having him take up a meth habit would actually make the movies closer to Fleming's vision! :haw:

Also relevant to the thread topic, the book Bond girl sidekicks are often much more proficient than he is in a lot of ways, which would be a neat twist in a future movie. I guess they've sorta tried this a few times over the years, but it's never really landed.