Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I deeply hated Captain Marvel's character. She was a huge prick for most of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CelticPredator posted:

If they replaced John Connor with another annoying white boy it would be okay you see

If they replaced him with anything and told a different story it'd be fine, if they replaced him with anyone and did what they did and just....retold his story? It's not going to be great, because we just watched the last person to experience that story get murdered. Why the gently caress do I care about this new crew that will be inevitably murdered when a new time traveling monster comes back to take them out? There's nothing different about their experience, no new lessons they learned. They aren't more competent or better equipped. They aren't worse, either. They are just....same. Repeating a story I just watched end in tragedy.

Like when you end the story on a woman preparing herself to protect her child from a terrible future after beginning it watching a different mother lose her child, it's not painting an optimistic chance for her outcome. And it's fine to tell downer stories, but did we really need to come back to a played out franchise to poo poo on it one more time?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Take it up with the guy who created the series

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think there's a contradiction between Hollywood becoming increasingly algorithm driven and this sort drive to be more inclusive. To truly tell female stories or minority stories requires broadening the kinds of movies that get made, yet the exact opposite is happening, you know?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Das Boo posted:

I can't talk from a minority standpoint so I'm mostly writing this from an ace woman's perspective of woke:

I guess I'm too leftist to think of anything as "too woke," but I do dislike "dishonestly woke." Disney is dishonestly woke and they bug the ever-loving poo poo out of me. You don't get to participate in gay erasure while selling rainbow merch. Instead of just having minorities, women, LGBTQ+ in stories because they're regular-rear end flavors of a person, they're trying to sell you the idea that their company is somehow exceptional so daring to include them in stories. All while abusing them.

I do consider Captain Marvel particularly unfeminist and dishonestly woke. She's not written as a human being, but an avatar of women. I loving hate that. I loving hate that women can't be characters; they have to be representation of a whole, like women are somehow a hive mind whose method of communication is having a vagina. I also don't particularly enjoy that the character's rejection of all things traditionally feminine and her blatant embrace of masculinity are what make her "strong."

Meanwhile, I consider Ripley feminist and woke. She's rational, she's emotional, her blue-collar job supports her skills within the film, she has strong maternal instincts. She breaks, she cries, she rages, she jokes, she's gentle, she's stern, she's afraid, she's brave... She's written as a human being with a wide range of thoughts and emotions. Writing a woman as a human is woke, which is a terrifyingly low bar to clear. Imagine having to worry about 50% of the populace not seeing you as a human being! It sucks!

I also agree that stopping the story to preach, for whatever reason and whether or not I agree, is bad.

You touched on an issue that happens as well, I don't know the word for it-but it's when someone on the right and also someone on the left are critical of something, but for entirely opposite reasons. Reactionaries will criticize pandering in a film but it's because they're opposed to the very existence of that demographic outside of stereotype. Leftists of course don't like cheap pandering that is insincere products of rainbow washing.

Good evaluation of Ripley as a character though I wonder if the reactionaries that use her as an example would do so if Aliens came out last week and not decades ago.

There's certainly female characters that are blatant Mary Sues but I imagine the threshold for such a claim is extremely low. We don't seem to treat male protagonists with the same level of scrutiny-nobody complains Forrest Gump is implausibly successful but a female counterpart would draw tons of poo poo for it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Panfilo posted:

There's certainly female characters that are blatant Mary Sues but I imagine the threshold for such a claim is extremely low. We don't seem to treat male protagonists with the same level of scrutiny-nobody complains Forrest Gump is implausibly successful but a female counterpart would draw tons of poo poo for it.
While I don't disagree with your conclusion that a Fem Gump movie would draw tons of poo poo for being implausible, it does make sense in a way that Forest Gump isn't treated as implausible successful, since he's basically not a character but like an avatar of (whitewashed) Boomer history.

Panfilo posted:

Good evaluation of Ripley as a character though I wonder if the reactionaries that use her as an example would do so if Aliens came out last week and not decades ago.
Definitely not, even if she's a far better character than the marketing focused characters they often end up railing against for entirely the wrong reasons. I imagine it was a lot easier to ignore a prominent female character like that within the overall cultural output of the time, even more so because cultural/political struggle hadn't been almost entirely subsumed into pop culture in the way it very deliberately has been today. Like, would anyone react as strongly to these films if there wasn't a sense of (or explicit claims) of a given piece of pop culture being a victory against the people who end up reacting?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Das Boo posted:

I can't talk from a minority standpoint so I'm mostly writing this from an ace woman's perspective of woke:

I guess I'm too leftist to think of anything as "too woke," but I do dislike "dishonestly woke." Disney is dishonestly woke and they bug the ever-loving poo poo out of me. You don't get to participate in gay erasure while selling rainbow merch. Instead of just having minorities, women, LGBTQ+ in stories because they're regular-rear end flavors of a person, they're trying to sell you the idea that their company is somehow exceptional so daring to include them in stories. All while abusing them.

I do consider Captain Marvel particularly unfeminist and dishonestly woke. She's not written as a human being, but an avatar of women. I loving hate that. I loving hate that women can't be characters; they have to be representation of a whole, like women are somehow a hive mind whose method of communication is having a vagina. I also don't particularly enjoy that the character's rejection of all things traditionally feminine and her blatant embrace of masculinity are what make her "strong."

Meanwhile, I consider Ripley feminist and woke. She's rational, she's emotional, her blue-collar job supports her skills within the film, she has strong maternal instincts. She breaks, she cries, she rages, she jokes, she's gentle, she's stern, she's afraid, she's brave... She's written as a human being with a wide range of thoughts and emotions. Writing a woman as a human is woke, which is a terrifyingly low bar to clear. Imagine having to worry about 50% of the populace not seeing you as a human being! It sucks!

I also agree that stopping the story to preach, for whatever reason and whether or not I agree, is bad.

This is why fascists are melting down about Boys. It does a good job sending up false wokeness but if you are wearing rose colored glasses red flags are just flags. representationis good but what does it mean to be represented? there is an invisible line between "increased visibility" and "empty pandering" and it can be a hard call. I'm not as down on corporate pride as some of my friends because like I can be out at my job and not dragged behind a truck? That's a solid check in the W column for me. I don't think capital is my friend, we were never going to be friends. It's Bowie man. I'll take authentic artificiality over artificial authenticity.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Timeless Appeal posted:

Except it's not. John Connor was killed off because Cameron wanted to shock the audience and make it clear that their expectations were off the table. And you can criticize that, I personally don't think they should have made any Terminator movies beyond 2.

But your post is just an example of how absurd woke is being used. Like if the main character of the film was not Latina would that improve the film in any way? Because she is Latina though you create this absurd conspiracy theory entirely divorced from the reality of a film made by human beings.

lol one post and we're already to the YOU'RE A CONSPIRACY CHUD, CHUD state of things. my mistake for thinking CD could have a mature discussion about this stuff.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

lol one post and we're already to the YOU'RE A CONSPIRACY CHUD, CHUD state of things. my mistake for thinking CD could have a mature discussion about this stuff.
So to be clear you can’t explain how the film would be any better if John Connor was replaced by another white boy?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

2nd Amendment posted:

This is why fascists are melting down about Boys. It does a good job sending up false wokeness but if you are wearing rose colored glasses red flags are just flags.
I get the usual meaning, but I'm not sure I understand the flag bit here. In any case, I figure another reason they might get pissed off (if they're the polite type) is because the show basically says the difference between "patriots" and old school Nazis is just marketing.

2nd Amendment posted:

I'm not as down on corporate pride as some of my friends because like I can be out at my job and not dragged behind a truck? That's a solid check in the W column for me.
I feel like this is giving it more credit than is due? Corporate pride is what happens when society has moved far enough that corporations think they can make money off it, which is kind of orthogonal to the question of the safety of LBGTQ+ people. Or the causality is reversed, and corporate pride happens when the struggle of LGBTQ+ people has finally brought them a measure of safety. Which I suppose is at least still possibly better than the hosed up poo poo that is Pride embracing cops.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

2nd Amendment posted:

This is why fascists are melting down about Boys. It does a good job sending up false wokeness but if you are wearing rose colored glasses red flags are just flags. representationis good but what does it mean to be represented? there is an invisible line between "increased visibility" and "empty pandering" and it can be a hard call. I'm not as down on corporate pride as some of my friends because like I can be out at my job and not dragged behind a truck? That's a solid check in the W column for me. I don't think capital is my friend, we were never going to be friends. It's Bowie man. I'll take authentic artificiality over artificial authenticity.
I was going to mention the Boys as an example as well, because it was pretty on the nose about rainbow washing and cynical marketing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I did a little experiment where I actively engaged people who complained about things being "woke" on social media to test some hypothesis I had. I noticed a few things.

- A large portion, maybe even the largest percentage - weren't American. Given that a lot of "woke" complaints are American politics-focused, that was pretty odd.
- A lot of people have copy-pasted vague statements that (a) don't actually name the media in question, (b) don't mention anything particular about the film that would identify it, and (c) are clones of whatever someone else had said.

Essentially, the format is "I don't care about it having (race/sexuality/gender) in it, the movie was just (random negative attribute) and used woke politics instead of (random positive attribute). Which leads to the 3rd point:

- It was painfully obvious that the people complaining hadn't even seen the media by and large. If you ask for specifics, you get crickets or deflections. Tying that into them being incredibly vague with copy-pasted comments, a lot is just pure trolling, people just trying to fit in on a side of the culture war, or possibly even some kind of astroturfing.

Also, it's pretty hilarious in the case of Sandman because the comic is the "wokest" thing to ever woke for its time, the Endless specifically look like whatever the person seeing them thinks, the gender swap in one case is Lucifer and in another case is specifically using a different character due to rights issues, and every creator is behind every change so they have no hill whatsoever to stand on. They still *try* mind you, but it normally ends in self-ownage.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I get the usual meaning, but I'm not sure I understand the flag bit here. In any case, I figure another reason they might get pissed off (if they're the polite type) is because the show basically says the difference between "patriots" and old school Nazis is just marketing.

I'm sure that pissed them off too but what I was trying to express is that if you view wokeness as fundamentally pandering then the Boys sending up rainbow washing just looks like a criticism of wokeness. From the fascist point of view they are the same thing. Which is also why they are surprised and angry when the show "suddenly" turned on them.

quote:

I feel like this is giving it more credit than is due? Corporate pride is what happens when society has moved far enough that corporations think they can make money off it, which is kind of orthogonal to the question of the safety of LBGTQ+ people. Or the causality is reversed, and corporate pride happens when the struggle of LGBTQ+ people has finally brought them a measure of safety. Which I suppose is at least still possibly better than the hosed up poo poo that is Pride embracing cops.

I feel that is underselling early adopters like Goldman Sachs. Rich white gay men really leveraged their privilege to make pride "respectable" and to make being gay "respectable". Basically folding it into the mainstream. Is it more profitable to oppress gay people or to sell to them? That's not orthogonal to the question of safety at all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to discuss what makes a film "woke" because the people using that term unironically don't have a consistent definition. Like CRT, it's been hijacked to label everything the chuds find objectionable at the moment.

An actual question of representation is different matter of course. Could the next James Bond be recast as an asexual Black-Chinese nonbinary Muslim? Sure, I suppose, but I would question why. The character is what it is, and I think trying to shoehorn diversity there would not come across as genuine. On the other hand, I like what Fury Road did, Mad Max is still Mad Max, and yet they could also tell a woman's story.

Panfilo posted:

I was going to mention the Boys as an example as well, because it was pretty on the nose about rainbow washing and cynical marketing.

Panfilo posted:

We don't even have to imagine!

Although I think someone should start a "chuds react" channel where zoomer chuds are shown old stuff they haven't seen and their reactions are recorded for all to see.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Horizon Burning posted:

Having a reply that disagrees with you and getting super mad about it definitely shows how mature and above this conversation you are.

We aspire to your level.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

2nd Amendment posted:

I'm sure that pissed them off too but what I was trying to express is that if you view wokeness as fundamentally pandering then the Boys sending up rainbow washing just looks like a criticism of wokeness. From the fascist point of view they are the same thing. Which is also why they are surprised and angry when the show "suddenly" turned on them.
I get you. I'm probably not keyed into the fascist position on The Boys enough to actually know what they feel like is a case of the show turning on them, because I don't really see it changing at any point.

2nd Amendment posted:

I feel that is underselling early adopters like Goldman Sachs. Rich white gay men really leveraged their privilege to make pride "respectable" and to make being gay "respectable". Basically folding it into the mainstream. Is it more profitable to oppress gay people or to sell to them? That's not orthogonal to the question of safety at all.
Did they make being gay "respectable", or being gay and well-off enough to buy poo poo "respectable"? Being "respectable" can even be a poison chalice, convincing people there is no more struggle to be fought, and certainly the more "respectable" you make things the more likely you are to create structures in what used to be a protest movement that suddenly start siding with the oppressors. Whether that is supporting cops, the MIC, or whatever other organization that is still supporting discrimination against you or your peers, at home and/or abroad.

As for the safety aspect, who became safer? And by how much? My understanding is that being poor and queer still makes you extremely vulnerable in the US, even if rich cis gay guys are comfortable enough to hang out with fascists.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I get you. I'm probably not keyed into the fascist position on The Boys enough to actually know what they feel like is a case of the show turning on them, because I don't really see it changing at any point.

The show absolutely did not change, fascists are just really bad at media. But part of that is because rainbow washing is real. If that's all you think "being woke" is, then The Boys is making fun of "being woke". There is a lot of schaden to be had when you read the Boys thread because fascists on reddit are absolutely having meltdowns when they realize the show is skewering them, not wokescolds. It's pretty funny.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Did they make being gay "respectable", or being gay and well-off enough to buy poo poo "respectable"? Being "respectable" can even be a poison chalice, convincing people there is no more struggle to be fought, and certainly the more "respectable" you make things the more likely you are to create structures in what used to be a protest movement that suddenly start siding with the oppressors. Whether that is supporting cops, the MIC, or whatever other organization that is still supporting discrimination against you or your peers, at home and/or abroad.

As for the safety aspect, who became safer? And by how much? My understanding is that being poor and queer still makes you extremely vulnerable in the US, even if rich cis gay guys are comfortable enough to hang out with fascists.

I mean, I think it would be incredibly hard to argue that things aren't substantially better for gay people now than 20 years ago. A core plank of W's re-election campaign was "Let's make it legal to hunt gay people for sport again!" There are numerous protections that would have been unthinkable 20 years ago including legal protections like the right to marry nationwide (for as long as that lasts) and many many states with strong legal protections. Entertainment and representation has changed (not just having visible gay characters but also not having daytime talk shows being a weird carnival exploiting gay and trans people).

It still sucks to be poor in America. It still sucks to be a gender and/or racial minority in America. Tacking gay onto either (or both!) of those isn't going to make for a great ride. There is still a lot of work to be done. But that doesn't diminish the very real progress that has happened over the last two decades. It's absolutely unequally shared, rich white men have the biggest piece of the pie by far. But that has more to do with their wealth, whiteness and masculinity than their gayness.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Panfilo posted:

The Blade trilogy has a black protagonist yet they wouldn't consider it a woke series.

Racists were absolutely mad at Blade despite it being canonically a black protagonist.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

2nd Amendment posted:

The show absolutely did not change, fascists are just really bad at media. But part of that is because rainbow washing is real. If that's all you think "being woke" is, then The Boys is making fun of "being woke". There is a lot of schaden to be had when you read the Boys thread because fascists on reddit are absolutely having meltdowns when they realize the show is skewering them, not wokescolds. It's pretty funny.
The only funny thing from the Boys thread I know of is the dude who kept insisting there was no reason to think a character named Stormfront might have ideas about race.

2nd Amendment posted:

I mean, I think it would be incredibly hard to argue that things aren't substantially better for gay people now than 20 years ago. A core plank of W's re-election campaign was "Let's make it legal to hunt gay people for sport again!" There are numerous protections that would have been unthinkable 20 years ago including legal protections like the right to marry nationwide (for as long as that lasts) and many many states with strong legal protections. Entertainment and representation has changed (not just having visible gay characters but also not having daytime talk shows being a weird carnival exploiting gay and trans people).

It still sucks to be poor in America. It still sucks to be a gender and/or racial minority in America. Tacking gay onto either (or both!) of those isn't going to make for a great ride. There is still a lot of work to be done. But that doesn't diminish the very real progress that has happened over the last two decades. It's absolutely unequally shared, rich white men have the biggest piece of the pie by far. But that has more to do with their wealth, whiteness and masculinity than their gayness.
Oh things have improved for sure, I'm just hesitant to place much of that progress at the feet of corporations. Not saying it has done nothing, but you also have to weigh it against the negatives of rainbow washing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

2nd Amendment posted:

The show made Homelander more blatantly Trump adjacent in the last season because he was tired of right wingers misinterpreting the character and liking him although he was obviously one of the villains. There was some complaints about things in this season losing any subtlety whatsoever, which was by design for that reason.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Darko posted:

The show made Homelander more blatantly Trump adjacent in the last season because he was tired of right wingers misinterpreting the character and liking him although he was obviously one of the villains. There was some complaints about things in this season losing any subtlety whatsoever, which was by design for that reason.
Unfortunately reactionaries just interpreted the character as a power fantasy that is the embodiment of all their wish fulfillment. They just ignore his insanity and insecurity and focus on the fact that he's virtually unkillable.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Oh things have improved for sure, I'm just hesitant to place much of that progress at the feet of corporations. Not saying it has done nothing, but you also have to weigh it against the negatives of rainbow washing.

I think people in general but especially leftist underestimate the power of corporate propaganda. We are constantly inundated with it, swimming in it. Corporate propaganda in America is very much on the side of "it is OK to be gay" and that does shape discourse a lot more than people give it credit for. Small companies are still fiefdoms that can mean whatever but big companies? There is an unprecedented acceptance of being gay. Homosexuality has more protections at a major retailer like Target than black hair.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Related to this topic, there is a phenomenon in recent years where a studio will cast a woman or a person of color in a role specifically to stir up poo poo and get free marketing off the back of the “controversy” (which they then amplify).

To be clear, I’m all for casting more women and POCs in leading roles, but I feel that often (but not always) the controversy around these things is really just a handful of online psychos who get put on blast to create a narrative that seeing and liking X movie is a virtuous act and a rejection of prejudice.

This is 90% of the “culture wars”

Mostly just loud, unhinged assholes on the internet feeding off each other in a bizarre, symbiotic relationship.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

MLSM posted:

Mostly just loud, unhinged assholes on the internet feeding off each other in a bizarre, symbiotic relationship.

Some of these discussions are stuck in the twitter threads of deepest hell for a reason.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

After watching Prey I actually had a look at the reactionary grifter narrative on it pre and post release and it lead to an interesting analysis of how the right-wing outrage critics try to create drama in pretty much any piece of media that is perceived as woke, but also attempt to disengage from it if it is perceived as being a good piece of media rather than something that they can use as another example of "go woke = go broke".

The pre-release youtube videos and discussion of Prey centred around the trailer primarily and it was veritable feast for the right-wing grifters, because it had all of the hallmarks of a "woke" movie. I did some searches post-release and there were still a few youtube channel decrying the film as woke, but they seemed to be smaller channel with sub 10k views, while most of the big-guns seemed to remain quiet on the subject, or alternatively create videos with titles such as "I saw Prey and it ISN'T WOKE". The latter was somewhat interesting to me, because I wasn't sure if it was just a cynical attempt to exclude Prey from being a successful "woke" film. Most of the conversation about Prey not being woke was primarily concerned with the fact that it had strong male characters and thus that because it didn't actively demonise men, it could not be considered woke. This attempt to un-woke the movie seems to me to be somewhat cynical, since the movie has all of the hallmarks of being a woke movie: a female protagonist that succeeds where men have failed, minority representation, casting white people in a bad light etc etc.

I think successful, widely acclaimed films like Prey do create problems for right-wing grifters, because if they try to create outrage against the film they can get pushback from people that would normally watch their videos, but haven't gone full brainworms and actually like the movie in question. Something similar happened to Fury Road, where the film was so critically acclaimed that the voices denouncing it as "woke" were marginalised because the overall consensus was that it was a great movie.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
"Go woke and go broke please don't pay attention to Black Panther grossing more than Infinity War and all but 2 other marvel movies."

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

MLSM posted:

I'm old enough to remember when "woke" was called "affirmative action" in the 90s with the culture war. A lot of the talking points are the same now as they were during that culture war (you know like "they only got the job because they are a woman and are unqualified yadda yadda"). The difference today is that we have social media and the Internet in general. I mean there were BBSes in the 90s but it was usually just a small handful of weird nerds screeching about The Simpsons or something instead of unhinged assholes flaring their nostrils over Captain Marvel.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Justin Godscock posted:

I'm old enough to remember when "woke" was called "affirmative action" in the 90s with the culture war. A lot of the talking points are the same now as they were during that culture war (you know like "they only got the job because they are a woman and are unqualified yadda yadda"). The difference today is that we have social media and the Internet in general. I mean there were BBSes in the 90s but it was usually just a small handful of weird nerds screeching about The Simpsons or something instead of unhinged assholes flaring their nostrils over Captain Marvel.

Affirmative Action = PC Police = SJW = Cancel Culture = Woke

probably missed a few

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

probably missed a few

CRT

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The most straightforward definition is "anything they will profit off if they call it woke". I've only skimmed the thread, but here are some more examples: fathers being portrayed as irresponsible or unempathetic, men not being allowed to beat villains, men not being allowed to give correct advice or being punished for trying to give advice, reducing established male characters to ineffectual wimps (Terminator Carl, Luke Skywalker, Joel in TLOU2). There's also a weird fixation with weight and strength, which of course only matter when a woman gets into a fight. I think Terminator and Alien are spared mostly because they're widely acclaimed older films, not for other reasons.
I think some of their valid points shouldn't be dismissed, such as the tokenization of minorities or fabricated controversies.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 17, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Timeless Appeal posted:

There is no such thing as woke cinema because that misunderstands the original intent of the word.

I mean, while words change meaning all the time, I think we can at least distinguish between "woke" as it was used for decades, and "woke" as this new pejorative. I think the newness of the pejorative sense of "woke" also means that the way it's used is in flux and its meaning is pretty sloppy. But there tend to be a few regularities:

(1) it's an attempt to state that an object (or person) is anti-racist or anti-sexist with a negative connotation.

(2) it's a sarcastic inversion of Black vernacular associated with anti-racist activism (I think the way the word became current in twitter is Deray McKesson signing his tweets with "stay woke"), which means that like a lot of right-wing criticism against liberalism it can carry an accusation that the target is insincere. The target is accused of espousing anti-racism or anti-sexism tribally, essentially promoting their 'side' with no real commitment to the ideals. This is connected to the persistent reactionary idea that people don't really believe that racism is bad, and that moral rules are arbitrarily enforced for the sake of power. This part of pejorative "woke" helps explain why, as an earlier poster noted, the biggest complaints coalesce around movies promoted as "girlboss feminism." Those are objects that are not just obviously surface-level feminist, but they're also easy to criticize as expressions of a corporate pseudo-feminism from a ruling class trying to claim righteousness.

(3) it serves as a kind of group identifier. To accuse something of being "woke" identifies the speaker as someone who opposed the "woke" and picks fights with the "woke." It provides people with language they can kind of ritualistically repeat, performing their part in the culture war. This connects the word with what Darko identified, where people yammering about "wokeness" on twitter are just kind of repeating prepared lines with no particular connection to the media in question. The canned lines make it easy to be "anti-woke," since you can just repeat them whenever need be and be convinced of your correctness.

So I think you can identify "woke cinema" but as a category it's going to be something like "movies which get termed "woke" by reactionary culture warriors." The category isn't going to reflect on the movies in any meaningful sense, but it will tell us about the people mad about them.

Zogo posted:

Yes, it's important to note that white Christians are now a minority in the US for the first time in hundreds of years. That fact scares a lot of people and is the source for some of great replacement/genocide stuff.

So there's been a response in their film industry. Some of that has been replaced by the MAGA ethos rather than Christendom.

I think Christian Nationalists have been around 2% of the population for a while. So there isn't a new minoritarian fear, but also they've been this way for some time.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Jaxyon posted:

probably missed a few

Affirmative Action is a different category because it had immediate real world economic consequences

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

War and Pieces posted:

Affirmative Action is a different category because it had immediate real world economic consequences

Yeah but my understanding it is only raised wages (albeit quite modestly) for minorities and women while not affecting overall productivity nor decreasing white male wages. Silly to get angry at others doing better unless you are a nutjob, which folds nicely into the other talking points.

The John Birch Society has had a lasting impact on America. I'd have a diagram with "Civil Rights" and "Women's Rights" feeding into a charging cable tangle of things like satanic panic, anticommunism, private schools, abortion eventually feeding out into cables we can now identify as "Christian Nationalism" and "White Nationalism" but both are feeding into the same port.

2nd Amendment fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 17, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

I think Christian Nationalists have been around 2% of the population for a while. So there isn't a new minoritarian fear, but also they've been this way for some time.
Is this like an official group? Or did you forget a 0 after the 2?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

War and Pieces posted:

Actual affirmative action is great.

"Affirmative Action" is also bigot shorthand for anyone non-white getting a job, if you're a boomer. As in "get a load of this affirmative action hire that got promoted over me, the obvious choice being white and male" or college admission or whatever the gently caress.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Das Boo posted:

This was a good post, DB

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

War and Pieces posted:

So does putting minorities or women in white male roles for the people getting those roles. It's the exact same thing just applied somewhere that everyone can visibly and easily see it as opposed to made up anecdotes about the Native Transgender person getting the job over them because they're a minority, not because theyre more qualified. Now they can say, "look, you can see it happening in this movie!"

When I feel like someone actually wants to converse about the subject and is being genuine on not knowing why there was even a push to get more women and people of color mainstream roles, I typically point out that as a starting actor in casting calls a black man typically only gets thug or cop roles as the quota quickly gets filled for businessman or whatever because the casting director only wants a "couple" for their office scene because they subconsciously of consciously thinks it looks weird if the ratio is too high for minorities to white people in that scene. This leads to horrendous upward mobility for black actors.

It's basically a "known" thing that the only way for a black person to become a star, especially in the 90s and early 2000s, is to leverage popularity in one field to get a studio to put you in that typically non black role as opposed to starting more organically. The biggest Gen X black stars were basically all musicians and comedians that got roles because they were already a proven moneymaker with a built in audience as opposed to rising up through normal acting ranks.

There are exceptions, but even currently where it's a little better, current rising black stars like Michael B Jordan were still noticed by their first major role being "drug dealer" as a child. Boseman also started off playing small roles as drug dealer and stuff too (anecdote: I was able to get cast as part of Boseman's entourage when he played a boxer and got bumped up to coveted role of "news reporter"; one of the few times I didn't get cop/thug).

This spreads across all minorities too, Indian people get tech guy and store worker, Southeast Asia gets possibly the worst representation, etc.

The excuses for this are exactly the same as they are for affirmative action - if you want to get hired, minority should make your own movie - just like minority should start their own business. Which ignores anything having to do with generation legacy to be able to do so.

Darko fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 17, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
One thing touched on here is that reactionaries get angry that the taboo about whitewashing doesn't cut in the other direction. If you remade Blade with a non black actor there would be a lot more outrage than if you did a live action Little Mermaid with a black Ariel.

And sometimes mediocrity of the product itself makes it really easy to bury bigoted grievances within it. A lot of people panned the live action Cowboy Bebop but for some they directly attributed things like Jet's actor or Jill's lesbianism to why they think it's bad. It creates a situation where they can convince themselves other critics agree with them, or some people care more about representation than an actual good story.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Darko posted:

So does putting minorities or women in white male roles for the people getting those roles.

Why should I or anyone else care about millionaires celebrities? If you'd allow me pull out my tinfoil hat I'd say that "Representation matters" was a psyop to distract from the dismantlement of affirmative action. It's cheaper and easier to have a handful of affirmative action hires in Hollywood than the economy writ large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

War and Pieces posted:

Why should I or anyone else care about millionaires celebrities? If you'd allow me pull out my tinfoil hat I'd say that "Representation matters" was a psyop to distract from the dismantlement of affirmative action. It's cheaper and easier to have a handful of affirmative action hires in Hollywood than the economy writ large.

You know most actors aren't millionaires and are struggling, right? I just explained why minority actors dont *get* to a status where they can even really comfortably support themselves in there as well.

And even still, who cares about millionaires except a sour grapes thing? Racism is racism.

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 17, 2022