Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I won’t watch it op but I will watch Coco for the thousandth time because it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Yeah Coco was really good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I still can't get over that there was a big controversy about the kissi n this movie. i legit thought it was multiple buzz lightyear toys kissing eachother, raising some interesting quests about sexuality for a series of living mass produced toys. instead the movie is about a fake buzz lightyear person, theres only one buzz and he doesnt kiss the other buzzes so who gives a gently caress

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Khanstant posted:

I still can't get over that there was a big controversy about the kissi n this movie. i legit thought it was multiple buzz lightyear toys kissing eachother, raising some interesting quests about sexuality for a series of living mass produced toys. instead the movie is about a fake buzz lightyear person, theres only one buzz and he doesnt kiss the other buzzes so who gives a gently caress

Conservatives think children should only be exposed to gunfire at that age, not same-sex kisses.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
conservatives want to see the buzz lightyear orgy as much as everyone else

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

I agree Disney's treatment of the Empire is problematic but not for the reasons Yaldabaoth says.

I don't think the Empire is meant to be "woke" but rather I think the portrayal is meant to be more ambiguous. Less of a moral struggle between good and evil and more a "there's good people on both sides" portrayal, which in its own way is more insidious, IMO.

What good people are on that side? The ones who realize it's poo poo and defect or help the jedi/resistance? The clones?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Movies kind of suck have you ever noticed that? After Smokey and the Bandit 1 and 2 what else is there?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

What good people are on that side? The ones who realize it's poo poo and defect or help the jedi/resistance? The clones?

If you can get the Empire out of Hitler territory and into Erwin Rommel territory, it's possible to romanticize the tragic futility of a fascist with "noble ideals." An uncareful person could find themselves admiring Captain Phasma's determination, or sympathizing with Orson Krennic for getting cheated out of credit for the Death Star.

There's definitely a certain personality type that falls prey to that kind of thinking and I think you'd be disingenuous to deny there's a lot of people who unironically say things like "sure the empire does some questionable things, but they're just trying to bring order to a chaotic galaxy."

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 10, 2022

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Disney literally encourages guests at their ridiculous Star Wars hotel to participate in plotlines on either the Empire's side or the Rebel side. I don't think I'm way off base with my assessment.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Theres a great episode of The Mandalorian which gets the audience rooting for the Empire for a bit there, then later on makes you feel really bad about it when certain past atrocities are laid out in detail.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Applewhite posted:

people who unironically say things like "sure the empire does some questionable things, but they're just trying to bring order to a chaotic galaxy."

just another way to say "liberal."

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I don't think Disney wants to romanticize fascism so much as they don't want to criticize white supremacy, so whenever they make a piece of media about the heroes rising up against fascism, the fascists' leader is always a woman or some other minority so as to remove the white supremacist element.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Yaldabaoth posted:

I don't think Disney wants to romanticize fascism so much as they don't want to criticize white supremacy, so whenever they make a piece of media about the heroes rising up against fascism, the fascists' leader is always a woman or some other minority so as to remove the white supremacist element.

I guess the one chieftain in Raya fits the bill here, but do you have some other examples?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

A Strange Aeon posted:

I guess the one chieftain in Raya fits the bill here, but do you have some other examples?

Kang the Conqueror is played by a black man. Namor, who is another evil king, is played by a hispanic.

Also, it sounds like the High Evolutionary, a literal eugenist, will also be played by a black man in Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

And again, the main villain in the Mandalorian is a moff who is a black man, and it looks like the main villain in Andor will be a woman.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

I still can't get over that there was a big controversy about the kissi n this movie.

Pretty sure there wasn't and disney just uses stuff like that to astroturf publicity while never letting it have enough importance to the actual film that it can't easily be excised for markets where it would actually be controversial or hurt profits. Just like they did with that Star Wars: The Erection of the Skywalker a few years back that had two ladies kissing in the background of a blink and you miss it shot.

Like who would even be talking about this awful garbage if it hadn't "somehow" "leaked" that they were in fact not gonna remove a scene featuring two women kiss.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Yaldabaoth posted:

Kang the Conqueror is played by a black man. Namor, who is another evil king, is played by a hispanic.

Also, it sounds like the High Evolutionary, a literal eugenist, will also be played by a black man in Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

And again, the main villain in the Mandalorian is a moff who is a black man, and it looks like the main villain in Andor will be a woman.

Hmm, pretty good examples. When they get around to making Fantastic Four, do you think we'll see a black or woman Galactus?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not saying these things aren't happening at all (although that is a tiny fraction of all that disney is producing) but like most things in life it's a bunch of different self interested people doing things not a secret cabal

What I mean is that I very seriously doubt there is a master order from The Mouse to all casting directors in its various divisions saying "put women and POCs in villain roles" - it's just a bunch of independent directors and casting folks choosing charismatic people they think would be cool in the roles.

Yes that can lead to a reinforcement of negative social things and to some degree it's just a reflection of all those individuals having internalized cultural things, but it's not a conspiracy by Big White Mouse - it doesn't have to be, like at all.

This isn't in defense of Disney, just parsimony/occam

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

A Strange Aeon posted:

Hmm, pretty good examples. When they get around to making Fantastic Four, do you think we'll see a black or woman Galactus?

They will most certainly redesign him to not look like a white man because they don't want to imply that the powerful white men who are literally devouring the world in the name of capitalism, are bad people.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Disney will never make movie Galactus a giant purple guy with an oatmeal container on his head because they are cowards.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

The Bloop posted:

What the hell are you talking about? That there are occasional low to mid level female officers?

That there was a black storm trooper (wearing white armor to remove his identity and make him look like everyone else)

Still 99% human officers though if you want to use "race" in a meaningful way in a universe like that.

This is quite the over excited post about a now dead franchise.

How do you feel about the controversy in my little pony?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I still need to watch the motherfucking animated SPiderman at some point

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
If you still expect anything more than the cinematic equivalent of unsalted buttered bread from disney, you should probably seek professional help.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i fished a turd out the toilet and it smelled awful? I am overwhelmed by thoughts of what might have been

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Extra row of tits posted:

This is quite the over excited post about a now dead franchise.

How do you feel about the controversy in my little pony?

Lol a you seem very mad why don't you calm down post

Also what controversy is that out of curiosity

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Yaldabaoth posted:

This becomes a more interesting take when you consider POC probably wouldn't have been able to get those roles at all in the past.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Yeah Coco was really good.
I'm not mexican at all but coco is rad as gently caress as well as being possibly the best movie about mariachis ever made

Feel free to correct me mexico goons, I welcome the schooling

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

gas

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Much like your posting :fart:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I still need to watch the motherfucking animated SPiderman at some point

Yeah it's really excellent.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

Yeah it's really excellent.

On this we fully agree

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

sudonim posted:

I'm not mexican at all but coco is rad as gently caress as well as being possibly the best movie about mariachis ever made

The best movie about mariachis is clearly El Mariachi.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Extra Large Marge posted:

Disney will never make movie Galactus a giant purple guy with an oatmeal container on his head because they are cowards.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

sudonim posted:

As a former mariachi it is a dope-rear end mariachi movie as well as being faithful to Dîa de los Muertos and chancla threats. It also reminds me of my favorite tía who was much like Coco at the end of her life and it made me cry just thinking of her.

It’s also just a charming and genuinely heartfelt movie overall. Rad as gently caress, it is.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Same except I'm gay.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Jelly posted:

I find your opinions cocksure but unabrasive. I would enjoy it if you would do a review of the Bob's Burgers movie. I have heard mixed reviews and I have not looked up critic reviews yet.

It was fine. No real bangers, but nothing really tops the songs in the first couple of seasons. Plot really slow to start but finishes strong. It's the Louis show though. I guess she's their 90s Bart Simpson now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Tina is the best Belcher child everyone knows this

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

more like buzz lightbeer

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
op you shoulda said 'more like Tripe Smear'

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
pixar movies that made me cry: Coco, Soul, Up, Finding Dory (ugly sobbing)

those are the only 4 movies I've cried at in my life I think. I'm very susceptible to their particular brand of emotional manipulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

The Walrus posted:

pixar movies that made me cry: Coco, Soul, Up, Finding Dory (ugly sobbing)

those are the only 4 movies I've cried at in my life I think. I'm very susceptible to their particular brand of emotional manipulation.

Dude, you gotta watch Xiu Xiu the Sent Down Girl