Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bonk posted:

It's the free match at least, so you can replay anytime.

Next two are Kanda/Nagano and then the unaffiliated 8-man.

Shimizu's on English comms. Sounds like he understands more than he speaks, but he's doing alright so far.

Good point. Oh well, I have a cup of tea now so I can begin to enjoy wrestling when my brain switches on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Showcase performance from Kikuta.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Wow. Was not expecting that.

I wonder if Kikuta officially joins DC now?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nagano has an almost Yoshino-esque body/physique

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Kid the most important guy in modern Dragon Gate because 90% of their dojo trainees joined because of him.

Nagano looked good in his movements there.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Tominaga might have to change his name again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

When did they take Punch's remaining 3 hairs?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
:lol:

Jae: "Shenlong wrestles the Lovely Style..."
Jason: "Are we allowed to say that?"

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Nice to see Ben-K enjoying his time in Gold Class. This Ben/YAMATO stuff rules

JACKHAMMER

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 19, 2022

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Bonk posted:

:lol:

Jae: "Shenlong wrestles the Lovely Style..."
Jason: "Are we allowed to say that?"

the what

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Santa Maria wrestles a lovely style

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh cool, intermission, not enough time to shower but enough to spray cold water on my face to finally wake up

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Gold Class/High-End whipped.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Well that was a waste of time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

He just murdered Diamante with that ladder, gently caress. Jun Kasai at home winced

OK, this is redeemed

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
This got good, Vibes not afraid to get brutal

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

i fell asleep from the entirety of the DQ all the way to HYO's senton.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
WHO ARE YOU, FAKE SHUN

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

DG really need to make Jae do commentary with Punch Tominaga

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

drat, Dangerous Gate has been a really great show this year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ishin looks deeply embarrassed that his dad is trying to find a stable for him

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

Ishin looks deeply embarrassed that his dad is trying to find a stable for him

"Now you kids play nice."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Eita's chops sound painful

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Eita's chops sound painful

He is King of Chop.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

He is King of Chop.

I mean, steady on, he's no Go Shiozaki or Walter. I see no blood leaking from Yuki's chest

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Goddamn, what a Dream Gate match.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
That's probably the most solid show top to bottom DG's done all year. Even the undercard was really fun and didn't overstay, and it felt like every match told a story.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Rewatched the no dq Vibes/Brats match since I dozed off for the entirety of it last night, and drat, there were some gnarly-rear end bumps that match. SMJ looked absolutely fired up all match, and an extended feud with Diamante seems likely and cool.

So overall, I think Dangerous Gate is definitely the show of the year for Dragon Gate so far. A good card that over-delivered. Every match felt like it had story and direction, even the undercard stuff that has a tendency to drag on on these shows sometimes. Eita/Yoshioka was fantastic, just incredibly well-paced and thought out, Don't know what the future holds for Eita going forward, but that was a hell of an effort from him.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Updated the schedule in the OP, and consolidated the links to free matches. We're getting a ton of content from the Gate of Victory tour; 8 DGN shows and 12 house shows. Plus 1 DGN show and 2 house shows left in September.

Grain of salt, but I've seen a few people speculating that the fake Shun might be a returning Fujiwara. Feels a bit too soon considering he's only just joined a stable there, but it's possible they'll tease it out with other people playing him until then. I'm of the mind that it's going to be Ishin after he can't get along with Junior, but that's pure speculation. The other potential option is that Fuda's re-injury is a work, but they usually don't work injury announcements.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Imo it’s probably the tall FUTURE kid. They covered his mouth for a reason to not give it away. They’ve used rookies and dojo kids for masked reveal angles before (like on house shows during the RED demon masks). Kinda took me out of the finish because there was no physical way for Shun to be there so why not used an established mystery attacker like Dr Muscle or a Metal Warrior. Little too on the nose for once.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Like his namesake, Shun Skywalker has Force powers and projected his image to Japan to gently caress with Kzy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Imo it’s probably the tall FUTURE kid. They covered his mouth for a reason to not give it away. They’ve used rookies and dojo kids for masked reveal angles before (like on house shows during the RED demon masks). Kinda took me out of the finish because there was no physical way for Shun to be there so why not used an established mystery attacker like Dr Muscle or a Metal Warrior. Little too on the nose for once.

I just imagine that Shun was walking to the train and saw a guy with almost exactly his build and height & he had an epiphany: so he stuffed ¥500,000 in the guys hands, gave him some of his gear and called HYO to shepherd him to Ota-ku for the reveal. Entirely in character for the dastardly Shun Skywalker, master manipulator.

As for Takuma, he wrestled in Mexico on Saturday & will wrestle again on the 22nd in Arena Naucalpan (on a show with Shun in the ring with Travis Banks, who seems firmly committed to the "new Art Barr" bit & not in a good way)

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Nishikawa is the tall one, but he's already in Mexico and they're putting his matches on the Network, so we know he couldn't physically be there either. That leads me to believe it's someone else, even if they have another wrestler under the Shun mask until the reveal. The other FUTURE kid is Kato, who was at ringside and way shorter.

I don't mind a fake Shun though; if Z-Brats are about to reveal a new member, using a fake Shun is on-brand for them because it specifically messes with Kzy's head.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Like his namesake, Shun Skywalker has Force powers and projected his image to Japan to gently caress with Kzy.
Jae speculated it was his "force ghost", which was one of the better calls of the night, next to Jae & Jason cracking each other up during the KFM/AI match.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Some interesting collab news coming up. We've got the NOAHxDG event in November, but they've also announced Ishin Iihashi vs DDT's Mizuki Watase in at a Tenryu Project show in October, and Minorita is doing a ZERO1 show in November as well. Also the SETUP Thailand show that Jacky and Ho Ho were on is up, and there's a bunch more Mexico shows that have been using Shun and several others. A lot of these shows aren't great, but working with a ton of indies globally is only going to boost DG's profile.

Kobe Sambo Hall is tonight, expect some KFM fallout. No card yet, but here's the free match link. I'll probably catch it in the morning.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Talking of shows DG guys are working, found this link on Cubsfan's site, Shun & Nishikawa, the new rookie, in a 4 way tag match with Asterboy & Tonalli, Bugambilia & Máximo, & Dick Angelo 3G & Puma de Oro. Don't expect too much, apparently Shun just turned up & asked for a booking (according to Cubsfan), but hey, it's something to watch if you wish.

There's also Takuma Nishikawa & Hannya vs. Shun Skywalker & El Mago, the former Drastik Boy who did a few DG tours back in the mid-2010s.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Another Shun abroad match I offer you: Shun vs El Bendito vs Komander from the 16th September in Big Lucha

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Kobe show card

Oh wow, as of last night Naruki Doi has switched to a freelance contract. He'll still be doing DG dates but on his own schedule, and his neck still isn't great so he won't be wrestling anywhere through October. Gold Class is truly the cursed unit.

Jason Lee will challenge HYO for the Brave Gate in mid-October. Yoshioka wants his next Dream Gate challenger to be YAMATO, following up on the Dangerous Gate challenge to beat former champions.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Bonk posted:

Kobe show card

Oh wow, as of last night Naruki Doi has switched to a freelance contract. He'll still be doing DG dates but on his own schedule, and his neck still isn't great so he won't be wrestling anywhere through October. Gold Class is truly the cursed unit.

I spoke about the weirdness here on the last few minutes of this week’s voice gate (doi leaving was the rumor I’ve heard for weeks). Tmk he never got his neck fixed after Roderick Strong nearly broke it/got put on a flight home for nearly breaking it. That was in 2016

I personally was expecting outright retirement or a gleat money run then retirement over a Gamma like situation for him.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
He seems like he can still go, but I'm guessing he won't be in a unit again unless they form a new variation of Team Veteran or dojo unit.

Once he does retire, I'm very curious to see who gets the Fives/Bakatare combo. It's one of my favorite finisher sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I wonder if Eita is staying with DG? The Dream Gate match seemed like his last hurrah or something, the way he accepted Yoshioka as champion and how he bowed to the fans. Either way it was an excellent match, but what EN commentary said about him making enemies every step of his career was really sad from a kayfabe perspective. But given his style nowadays it's impossible to for me to imagine a babyface Eita...

Felt like if it were any other Dream Gate champion, Eita would've won, but Yoshioka's earnestness won out in the end. Really excellent psychology in this match.