Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Bonk posted:

:lol:

Jae: "Shenlong wrestles the Lovely Style..."
Jason: "Are we allowed to say that?"

the what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I wonder if Eita is staying with DG? The Dream Gate match seemed like his last hurrah or something, the way he accepted Yoshioka as champion and how he bowed to the fans. Either way it was an excellent match, but what EN commentary said about him making enemies every step of his career was really sad from a kayfabe perspective. But given his style nowadays it's impossible to for me to imagine a babyface Eita...

Felt like if it were any other Dream Gate champion, Eita would've won, but Yoshioka's earnestness won out in the end. Really excellent psychology in this match.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Not sure if I'll enjoy seeing Eita in NOAH, he might just get lost in the chaos that is the NOAH Jrs. Plus he'll be grouped with NOSAWA who is just excruciating to watch as a wrestler. At least in DG he's main eventer level (when motivated).

Isn't he friends with Despy (see the Numero Uno/Numero Dos connection)? If he's gonna jump ship, it should be New Japan imo.

That said, any favorite Eita match recs? I liked Eita/Kzy for the Dream Gate a lot, and a couple of his Brave Gate matches (babyface Eita was really weird for me to watch, but he can really go). I haven't seen the rest of his RED run prior to Dead Or Alive 2021 yet, though.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 26, 2022

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
DK and YAMATO losing to the younger champions and legitimizing them like no other feels like an apology for YAMATO winning the Dream Gate from Shun last year

Fujiwara was so sick, I believed

Ishin Iihashi and Mochizuki Jr. will be a generational rivalry

The kids are all right

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I would love Eita to just corrupt all the young guys, do it

I also enjoyed the Eita lore that Jae dropped during the match about DOUKI pairing up with Eita in Mexico and disliking him on account of being a prodigy who only needs a few tries to perfect something.

Would be funny if Ishinriki showed up again at this point lol

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, I've managed to find myself with two shows from this weekend & today's show to catch up on. Which is a little annoying that I managed to fall this far behind. Especially with how the Network works.

TBH I'm thinking of dropping the Network. Money is getting tighter & as much as I do enjoy the company & some of their great younger talent it's just a hard thing to justify at this point, from a value perspective relative to other companies, both in raw cost & just...Dragongate is a great promotion from a consistency perspective, & there's loads of matches in the ***¾-**** range but I've found this year they have lacked at the high end (pun not intended), obviously the Twin Gate match from Kobe World was insanely good & KAI Susumu at DOA ruled but just relative to the other stuff I watch, All Japan is at a way higher level at the top of the card, NOAH, NJPW, DDT, GLEAT. Maybe Scotland has a mild weather & I don't need to run the heating so much, we'll see.

I want to disagree on the high end of the match quality range, Yoshioka's having an awesome run right now but I concede that it won't work for everyone. But yeah I really don't like how the DG Network has to do that "VOD up for a week or two before it disappears for 6 months or so thanks to TV network deals and resurfacing with cuts" but I don't want to rely on Bilibili and VK... I'd love to import merch if I could but prices are ridiculous for my income.

That said if Mochizuki is the next challenger then I won't be in too concerned about regressive booking given how Yoshioka's already overcome YAMATO. I think the real money match is Yoshioka/Shun though.

Anyway, a question: has there been any shocking upsets in the Open the Dream Gate title scene? I think YAMATO/KAI from last year would count, in that no one really expected KAI to win, but I guess I'm looking for something more red-hot like the Rainmaker Shock.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 10, 2022

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Minorita is crazy over, put the Brave Gate belt on him, DG

Yoshioka in the post-match segment looked like he was trying his best not to corpse

As for Kzy/Shun, my head says HM but my heart says MOTYC, it just proves that Natural Vibes is the best faction. Also hope that some cracks appear in Z-Brats after BxB Hulk's botched interference and Shun's meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I don't mind putting DG discussion back to the puro thread myself, but I did like the OP info (even as an active fan)

I liked Yoshioka vs Ben-K, need to rewatch the post-match angle with EN commentary though. It was a good showcase of Yoshioka's wits (I felt he prevailed by being the smarter wrestler, not by an all-out strength-for-strength contest), but also I think he's dropping the belt to Shun to cement a generational rivalry. If not, well then I'd like a Diamante challenge! He was one half of the team that took the Twin Gate belts from D'Courage anyway.

I must confess that I kinda wanted Ben-K to win if only to set up a rap battle match with Kzy (who was the guest commentator), whoops