Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Imo it’s probably the tall FUTURE kid. They covered his mouth for a reason to not give it away. They’ve used rookies and dojo kids for masked reveal angles before (like on house shows during the RED demon masks). Kinda took me out of the finish because there was no physical way for Shun to be there so why not used an established mystery attacker like Dr Muscle or a Metal Warrior. Little too on the nose for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Bonk posted:

Kobe show card

Oh wow, as of last night Naruki Doi has switched to a freelance contract. He'll still be doing DG dates but on his own schedule, and his neck still isn't great so he won't be wrestling anywhere through October. Gold Class is truly the cursed unit.

I spoke about the weirdness here on the last few minutes of this week’s voice gate (doi leaving was the rumor I’ve heard for weeks). Tmk he never got his neck fixed after Roderick Strong nearly broke it/got put on a flight home for nearly breaking it. That was in 2016

I personally was expecting outright retirement or a gleat money run then retirement over a Gamma like situation for him.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
The key thing about Eita is that since coming back from Mexico in 2013, he wanted to go back. In the previous era, he was constantly in the doghouse (take a guess with whom) because he wanted to go play Perro Aguayo Junior more so than anything else in wrestling.

If he’s doing exclusive freelance it’s probably the best thing for all parties. NOAH isn’t like a destination but he gets to do Perros. New Japan doesn’t fit that. GLEAT sure as hell doesn’t fit that.

Unless he wants to fully commit, we’ve played out the string. He’s still one of the real draws in the company (Doi ceased being one years ago, and everyone else whose left is even less of a draw than Doi), so his full departure would hurt. Working mostly in NOAH so he can sleaze it up with friends, touring Mexico a lot, and bigger Dragongate shows should be what people should be hoping for in all honesty.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Bonk posted:

TBH I feel like Dragongate could use a few more big name freelancers who float in and out for big matches so it seems like they're a little more connected.

I don't know if NOAH Jrs are the answer to that, but at least some people who are more of a draw than say, Aagan Iisou and The Bodyguard.

Prominent freelancers might be the biggest divide between the native fans and the international fans. Native Dragongate fans by and large aren’t wrestling fans. With almost a quarter century of how they promote, it’s not like young women would much awareness of stars outside of big crossover ones. I had a fan who moved to Japan in my DMs a while back and they went through how little the crowd cared about Ultimo appearances, let alone Hijo del Santo.

They will always bring in Masato Tanaka level people for big shows but in a company where the old are being shown the door, why would they bring in an outsider who probably won’t draw to this fan base over pushing a kid or bringing back Toru Owashi, someone the fan base knows of.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Bonk posted:

Good as hell Final Gate.

Just throwing this out there for some feedback since we're at the end of the Big Five cycle: New Japan seems to be the only really active thread specific to a single puro promotion. So since this thread hasn't had a ton of engagement since Kobe World, and since DG has a reputation for being isolated from the rest of puro despite trying a lot harder to cross over this year, how would people ITT feel about reintegrating DG discussion back into the general Puroresu thread? GDTs would still be fine for the big events, but I'm going to be focusing more on my Youtube content in the coming year so I might not have as much time to maintain the OP, and it'd also be cool to potentially draw in new viewers who might not be checking this one. I don't really have a problem with keeping this one running, I just don't know if it's worth staying split off at this point.

You do you. Weirdly enough I started doing these threads YEARS ago and then I ended up podcasting instead lol