Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Pollyanna posted:

I define the crash as such:

the majority of US-based companies and businesses, even giants like FAANG, realize that their fart apps (real or imagined) either aren’t making them any money or are no longer worth the trouble. they shutter their divisions that work on software and no longer want to hire software engineers, claiming that there is no work for them.

with this change, there is now a massive glut of software engineers of varying competencies and seniority on the market. supply far outstrips demand. what little software development or general computer-touching positions still exist are heavily competitive and reserved for only the most senior or the most shrewd.

programming is now about as useful in getting and keeping a job as a stint flipping burgers at wendys. you’ll see walmart greeters who used to work at google. tech no longer wants to share any of its money, or no longer has money.

this is all a reflection of my fears that the industry i tied my livelihood to stretches itself too thin and decides that nah gently caress you you don’t food or housing.

the thing is fundamentally the us tech industry, like all of america's big industries, only exists because it is heavily subsidised by the government. tech specifically is mostly financed through fat defence contracts. all the civilian stuff is mostly table scraps, with only a few notable exceptions that came off those table scraps. as long as the us is scared of people with different accents and skin colours, the bulk of tech industry is going nowhere. crypto and other weird app startups always had a limited shelf life and almost all the inside money that funded that poo poo comes from the DOD (originally) in the first place.

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU