Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Loving this journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Gewehr 43 posted:

Man, I'd love to get a new GPU, but it's just not in the cards right now. I was kicking around the idea of doing some video recordings to add to the flair of the thread here, but I'm not sure my old 1070ti is up to it. It'd be hard to capture effectively too, as I don't believe FS2020 has any kind of replay feature. I struggle taking engaging screenshots on takeoff and landing because of that, too. The whole "active pause" feature in the game is weird too. For example, you can go into active pause mode at 150 knots, pull the throttle to idle while paused, exit active pause and be at 60 knots at the verge of a stall. I didn't realize that and it almost killed me once, so I don't use that feature very often. Thus, screenshots at critical phases of flight are very challenging.

Edit: It appears I'm wrong. There is a replay feature as well as some 3rd party tools to the same effect. Interesting. I'll have to play with that a bit.

I don't know if you have the capability or sheer storage space to make it happen but I'd definitely throw a video recording of a long plane flight on a background TV or something, seems pretty zen.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Good luck with your instruments! :ohdear:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Didn't realize we weren't pressurized. Any reason to ever try pushing that ceiling?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Whatever keeps you in the air! Glad to hear you've got some upgrades going. :)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Gewehr 43 posted:

Statics. I do have all traffic enabled, but a lot of the areas I'm flying are pretty remote, so there's not much traffic around. I did have another player buzz me in a Diamond on my approach to Rio de Janeiro and I thought I got pics, but apparently not. That's the only human interaction I've had so far.

I forget the planned itinerary, any future high traffic corridors?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Whew, that's a gnarly landing alright. Can only imagine what it'd have been like inside one of those for real. Bumpy probably doesn't begin to cover it.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Whew, some real midair excitement. Can't have been a good feeling when those engines cut out.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I'm so excited to finally see another plane.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I never realized that wind picking you back up undesiredly could be a threat. Learning something new every flight!

And heartily agree with the ethos here - can't imagine you ever taking on a project like this again, so why not enjoy the journey indeed! :)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The labelled diagram was pretty nifty - so used to arcade type flight games where the buttons and levels and gauges are static decals at best.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Whew, some real exciting night time escapades. Where do you even find flight manuals from 1950 nowadays?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Entebbe Airport of course most famously known for the big hostage rescue, though it appears most of that iteration of the airport has been demolished at this point. Really appreciate the giant letters someone made sure to include on the side of a hill, god bless modders.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Huh, and there I was thinking the Ark of the Covenant was in a US warehouse being studied by top men.

Top. Men.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

It really is crazy how Egypt could be described as the Republic of the Nile. Just goes to show how inhospitable the deserts are. And yay for our first (and only) wonder of the ancient world!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I had heard the story in generalities, but I didn't realize that so much of the crew had made it so far post-crash. Really goes to show how aerial navigating in those early days wasn't too far removed from the craft as practiced by mariners for centuries before. GPS really changed a lot, I reckon.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Africa saying goodbye with a vengeance!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

This one could be the menu screen for a game or an album cover, it's a great shot! Looking forward to Europe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Man, that's a hell of a way to see a town!