Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
This LP really kicked my sense of adventure into high gear. I've never piloted an aircraft, haven't even played any MSFS, but I started mapping my own imaginary twin-prop RTW routes. Great presentation, love the chilled vibe, and the visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
A few years ago I flew (commercially) from Hurghada to Cairo, and while following the Red Sea coast was neat, I was slightly disappointed we didn't get to see the Nile from above.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Gewehr 43 posted:

Thanks for following along. We are nearing the end of our African journey. Only another leg or two to go, then it's off to the Iberian peninsula and Europe proper. If you have any recommended sights to see, feel free to mention them!

Narvik in Northern Norway has a lot of WW2 history which would be right up your alley. The Norwegian coast is stunning which would make for great visuals, you'd also hit the Lofoten archipelago on the way to Narvik.

Wolfsschanze which was Hitlers eastern HQ is in north eastern Poland, in Mazury which is the Polish lake district. I doubt the bunker ruins are modeled in Flight Sim, but the lake district is beautiful.

Edit: Since the very title of this LP is about exotic booze, Zubrowka, Polish Bison Grass vodka is made in Bialystok in eastern Poland.

fish and chips and dip fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 18, 2023

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Gewehr 43 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! The Norway invasion sites are definitely on my list.

I mean, you're not alone. I'm up on the WWII sites because, well, I'm *me,* but the other stuff is only known because of the news cycle.

Another one for Norway, the battle of Drøbak-sound, just south of Oslo where a bunch of fresh recruits and pensioners using 50-100 year equipment managed to sink what was then the pride of the German Navy and buying enough time for the King and parliament to escape capture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dr%C3%B8bak_Sound

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
From what I understand, the rock of Gibraltar interferes with winds which can really smack a plane, especially a small one, around. Do you know if that's modeled in the game? Explanation video of what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BkOgZPjZX4

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Very lovely presentation of the sight seeing flight.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

painedforever posted:

Those buildings are beautifully modelled.

That airport, A Coruna; isn't that an accident waiting to happen?

Mind, the ones in Nepal are uniformly scary, but that's because those are in the mountains.

Does the game hide military bases or runways? Can you land at those anyway?

Interestingly enough, A Coruņa airport has had one fatal crash, and that was due to fog and not the terrain, that was Aviaco Flight 118 in 1973. Bilbao airport, however, had Iberia 610 crash in 1985 into a radio tower on a mountain. Here is a very detailed, and long, article about Iberia 610 if you're interested https://admiralcloudberg.medium.com/radio-silence-the-crash-of-iberia-flight-610-a6154b711c83

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
There's a whole website about people flying GA aircraft around the world: https://www.earthrounders.com/ The website isn't the best, but should be interesting to people reading the thread.

fish and chips and dip fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 28, 2023