Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

painedforever posted:

Do real-life ATCs do the same thing by accident? I mean, video games are kinda dumb about stuff like that, but I'm assuming real ATCs keep an eye on that sort of thing? I'm sure you aren't allowed to change runways will-nilly.

Normally the airport would be keeping an eye on the winds and they would be running the pattern in whichever direction gave planes a headwind. So if the ATC was running the runway in a direction that gave G43 a 20-knot tailwind on landing, and there wasn't anything preventing them from running it the other direction, that's a fuckup on their part, yes. Runway direction reversals are common; if the winds shift in the middle of the day, the tower will hold everyone until the pattern is clear, then start running the the opposite direction.

At a towered airport you can't just turn around and land the other direction against ATC directions, no. But if you found yourself in this bizarre situation, you could drop a hint to the tower by saying something like "cleared to land two seven? Could I get a wind check?" and see if they pick up on it.

I guess if they insist that you land that way, you decide if you want to land in a 20 knot tailwind (I wouldn't) and if not, say "unable to land due to winds, request (type of departure) to (alternate airport where the ATC isn't being a dick)."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU