Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I've been lurking this thread since it started, and I just wanted to say that this has been really fun to read. It's a different experience from the sorts of LPs I'm usually interested in, but in the best way. Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

painedforever posted:

Is it sad that I only associate the names of places as relating to wars/disasters/headlines?

Tripoli from one of the World Wars, Libya from Gaddafi, Benghazi from Hillary Clinton, Carthage from Carthago Delenda Est?

You haven't heard of the Tripoli pirates? They were a big thing in the early 1800s, the U.S. even had some military actions over there (which is why the shores of Tripoli are mentioned in the USMC hymn.) By all accounts a pretty fierce bunch. And Libya the modern country is less than a hundred years old. Obviously the people and cultures there are much (much, much) older, but the region has a very complicated geopolitical history.

Carthage, I dunno, it's a huge deal in ancient Mediterranean history. I think when I learned about Rome in middle school we watched a video that talked about the Carthaginians there, so I suppose that's where I know it from.