Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Such an awesome idea! Hope you're successful in getting it done, but hey, I'm here for the journey either way.

(Should have got a jumbo jet, with all the people hanging out)

I haven't played an MS Flight Sim in years. I played the old DOS-based one, and Combat Flight Simulator, and I think the one that came before this, or the previous version? It had helicopters.

I'd try them for a while, get over-ambitious with the realism, and sheer the wings off the plane. And then get bored, and play something with guns and explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Gewehr 43 posted:

I totally get it. I've got DCS and Il-2 if I want to drop bombs and blow poo poo up. FS2020 is a different kind of fun for me though. Very chill; the challenge is doing all the real life navigating and procedures, not shooting down bad guys or dodging SAMs.

I have trouble with Chill. I have Zero Chill. I mean, I can chill when it comes to office stuff, but if something doesn't explode in a game every 30 seconds, I get twitchy.

Every time there's a sale on something like Truck Sim, I think about getting that and just driving around Europe or the US (either or, I reckon they're the same thing), but meh. I want something to happen in games. And not have to make my own fun, like driving on the wrong side and crashing into cars deliberately (unless that's the point).

Gewehr 43 posted:

As an aside, I calculated that the trip around South America would have cost something like $35,000 in fuel *alone.* That's to say nothing of oil, parts, maintenance, and insurance. All told, by the time this journey is done, the costs associated with the airplane itself will easily exceed 10-20 million dollars.

I might throw together some numbers and start tracking that.

Expensive hobby.

Considering everything that is involved in flying, I always have trouble believing that we can ever have flying cars.

Does this Flight Sim force you to do all of the pre-flight checks, or can you just go?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Gewehr 43 posted:

That said SU10, which dropped yesterday, has made the already squirrelly-as-gently caress taildraggers even more squirrelly. I now have 150 real-time hours in the Beech 18 and I now need to relearn - from scratch - how to take off and land. Even the slightest crosswind sends the aircraft careening across the runway. :sigh:

How realistic is that? Have you flown that sort of plane before?

Games tend to be weird about that sort of thing. I can drive in real life, but I once tried Project Cars, and I couldn't get any car to go in a straight line for more than 500 meters. They'd spin out almost immediately in a bid to be "realistic".

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I've got a few questions.

1) Is damage enabled? Would you have been any danger in setting down on the salt plains? Planes are pretty heavy (citation needed), and the plane could've sunk into it.
2) How's the Atlantic crossing on a small-ish plane like that? I've always heard that it's a pretty nasty ocean (though more in the context of shipping).
3) Any bad weather so far?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Gewehr 43 posted:

Statics. I do have all traffic enabled, but a lot of the areas I'm flying are pretty remote, so there's not much traffic around. I did have another player buzz me in a Diamond on my approach to Rio de Janeiro and I thought I got pics, but apparently not. That's the only human interaction I've had so far.

A Diamond what?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Those visuals are amazing. It's so shiny!

Is there physical damage modeling? Does the plane get grimey in any way?

Y'know, Bing Maps is pretty hopeless in this part of the world (i.e. the Indian Subcontinent). It has no idea where any of the roads are. I'm not even sure if it knows where the capital of Pakistan is.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

That's a pretty roundabout way around Africa, isn't it?

How much of the flight plan is dependent on the plane, and how much of it is, "Oh, wouldn't it be cool to head this way right now?"

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Are we looking for treasure? The Top Gear/Grand Tour trio went by there looking for treasure last year. I mean, they are dolts (or play them on television) so it was for laughs reelly, but still...

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Oh man, night-time approaches! Is it harder in this aircraft as compared to contemporary planes?

Is the flight time in real-time, or do you (or FS2020) compress it?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Psion posted:

I am impressed that the game actually renders hippos. That's an impressive little touch!

Yeah, that was actually rather unexpected. Does it do that a lot?

How long will it take to get to Hawaii at our current speed? 80 days?

I wonder if this thing renders volcanic eruptions.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Funny place to wind up if you're looking for exotic booze.

I've been to Makkah and Medina. I did the smaller pilgrimage (Umrah) back in 1999, and the large pilgrimage (Hajj) in 2001. Both cities have probably changed quite a bit since then, because they keep adding hotels and malls around the mosques, and adding escalators and moving sidewalks to make things easier for pilgrims. And to do something to prevent stampedes.

We were this close to being trampled in 2001. We sorta caught the tail end of it, and then we saw them setting up a triage at the end of the pathway.

Weren't you going to spend more time in North Africa? Do the tourist-y thing and go by Egypt? Oooh, or Tunisia! There's this coastal place where all of the houses are white but the doors and windows are painted blue.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Sidi Bou Said, according to the internet.

It was a Sun Microsystems event. We wandered around Carthage a bit, and did a scavanger hunt around the souks in Tunis, which was fun.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Oh man, I think I read that story only recently. Got mentioned in a newspaper, I think? It's one of those "oh wow" things.

Are you breaking laws during your flight-simmy trip? I'm assuming that if you're flying in real life, you have to maintain a certain elevation, and stick to a certain flight path. But do you intend to swoop down closer to interesting objects on the ground?

Essentially what I'm asking is, will you be buzzing my house when you fly over Pakistan? Or, y'know, we are planning on moving to New Zealand in the near future (Feb, fingers crossed), so will you be waggling your wings as you fly overhead?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Is it sad that I only associate the names of places as relating to wars/disasters/headlines?

Tripoli from one of the World Wars, Libya from Gaddafi, Benghazi from Hillary Clinton, Carthage from Carthago Delenda Est?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Exciting stuff!

So, as someone who has actually flown, what is your SOP regarding fuel? Would you have attempted this in a real-life situation? How much of a margin do you keep with regards to fuel? Do you, like, keep an estimate of your approximate range based on the type of plane you're flying, and then do the calculations manually?

How does it all work?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Nice!

Does Flight Simulator try and hold you to that? I remember back after 9/11, there was a lively debate about restricting access to Microsoft Flight Simulator because everyone was afraid that future terrorists might learn enough about flying to be able to hijack real aircraft.

(I mean, the real terrorists took actual lessons at an actual facility so that was different, but still...)

I mean, it's obvious that it doesn't do the CG stuff, but does it calculate the range based on fuel loads as well? Or are you doing it by pencil, just for fun?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Do real-life ATCs do the same thing by accident? I mean, video games are kinda dumb about stuff like that, but I'm assuming real ATCs keep an eye on that sort of thing? I'm sure you aren't allowed to change runways will-nilly.

D'you reckon a trip like this would even be possible in the modern age? A private airplane crossing that many borders? Never mind fuel prices and that sort of thing, but in terms of clearances and visas and permissions?

I know it'd be impossible for someone with my... background? Muslim, and Pakistani, and not rich. I think the only country that currently gives me a visa on arrival is Nepal. Every place else, gotta apply for one before I can get tickets (don't know what the equivalent would be if you're in your own plane). For most countries in Southeast Asia, visas will take between 1 and 3 weeks. For "developing countries" (which they used to call "Third World Countries" but still sounds patronizing), it might be a day or two. For "developed countries", it'll be anywhere from 3 months to 3 years.

I've heard that the best passport is from Singapore? There's a ranking somewhere that tells you what passport is the best in terms of access, as if it's possible to just get a passport from another country if you're not rich enough that they'll let you in.

Sorry. Feeling a bit bitter. I just had to shell out the equivalent of USD 7,500 for five tickets so's my family and I can travel to New Zealand. Ridiculous, what they're charging for stuffing the lot of you into cattle-class.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Does the ATC in the game actually whine at you, or is this a bit of colour commentary?

How is your plane categorized? Is it just classed as a private plane, or a small passenger plane? And do you have a height at which you have to fly (like, minimum or maximum limits)?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Those buildings are beautifully modelled.

That airport, A Coruna; isn't that an accident waiting to happen?

Mind, the ones in Nepal are uniformly scary, but that's because those are in the mountains.

Does the game hide military bases or runways? Can you land at those anyway?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Always seems to be a "perfect storm" to crash an airliner, doesn't it?

I mean, except for the 737-Max, but that's a dog, anyway.

I read a Jeremy Clarkson book, in which he describes the accident between two 747 aircraft. Much the same dealio: bad weather, experienced pilots not really paying attention/being impatient. It wasn't exactly the same, because one of the pilots also misunderstood the ATC instructions, but y'know. Planes may be delicate and pilots overworked, but it seems like it takes a lot to actually cause a crash.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I can sympathize with the job thing. I left my job so's we could move to New Zealand. Now I'm looking for a job and worrying if I'll be able to find one before we run out of our savings.

Fun times.

What's the plan for Europe? Just go across, or try and hit all of the major cities/landmarks?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Gewehr 43 posted:

Man that stinks; I wish the best for you. Out of curiosity, what do you do for a living? I am in the IT leadership field.
IT. My last job was technical sales. That's where you reign in the salespeople by injecting a little bit of reality into their blather. Before that, I used to set up data centres. Y'know, figuring out where the hardware needs to be installed, working out IP schemes, generating documentation, physically mounting, testing, installing operating systems and the basic suite of applications before passing them on to the next team.

Moving to New Zealand is actually cooler than it sounds. My wife's getting a PhD, so we've sold off everything, and moved so she can get a "Dr" attached to her name. We're very excited, if slightly worried right now.

Gewehr 43 posted:

I wish I had some cool reason to quit like moving to New Zealand, but my reasons are far less glamorous - I recently took a promotion after 5 years of great success in the company, and it turns out I stepped into an abusive relationship. Terrible leadership at this level. Shame on me. I should have known better when three other people resigned from the same position in the last 18 months. Since I put in my two weeks' notice, they've only ramped up the abuse. :sigh:
I can sympathize. That'd been my story about 10 years ago. Got promoted to middle manager, and suddenly, I'm getting into regular fights with upper management and HR.

Getting out is the best thing you can do.

And hey, at least you have some real skills. Like flying. Not just shitposting on the internet. :)

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Well, rather than boring people talking about our issues, let's talk about the last flight.

That castle, Almansa Castle, looks beautiful (in the game and in pictures). But no famous stories associated with it. Not even on the tourism website.

I was hoping it was Château de Montségur (I didn't remember the name, I had to look it up, so I didn't know if it was French or Spanish). That was the Cathar stronghold which was pulled down, and then replaced with another fortress. Looks similar, except the French fortress is much higher and in worse condition.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Hang on a minute. I just noticed this. The Beech has digital readouts? Or at least, LEDs?

What a weird thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Gewehr 43 posted:

Yepper. Retrofitting is a hell of a thing. Do the right paperwork and you could legally put a glass panel in the Wright Flyer.

Edit: I'm thinking of live streaming some of these flights to youtube, but I'd like to gauge the interest in that. Would that help or hurt the general vibe of this journey?

Oooo, I don't know about that. How long is a flight, and how much of it is actually exciting? I mean, I'll bet there's plenty to do when you're actually flying, but is there stuff for passengers?

Are you planning on doing it from a hot tub? I've heard that's a thing you can do.