Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
This is a really cool thread idea. Nice plane pick, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

tempting me into getting FS2020 just to see how pretty it gets

maybe if crypto crashes again or something and GPU prices approach sanity again

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

these are so good

nice landing and also FS2020's got a real future as a weather simulator, much less planes

I heard it described as a better google earth than google earth but seeing some of the weather it conjures up really drives that home.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gewehr 43 posted:

AI ATC does some ... interesting... stuff. This is some kind of airliner/heavy cargo ship that just departed the opposite runway for which I'd been cleared to land.

Terminator did not prepare me for Skynet's first malicious act being flight sim ATC

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I won't say anything if your plane accidentally teleports if you don't

I am impressed that the game actually renders hippos. That's an impressive little touch!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

quote:

A turn to the right, while closer to our on course heading, would have seen us pile drive into a mountain, so a climbing left turn seemed more prudent.

this got a chuckle. more prudent, indeed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

sniper4625 posted:

This one could be the menu screen for a game or an album cover, it's a great shot! Looking forward to Europe!

for real, it's an incredible shot.

painedforever posted:

Do real-life ATCs do the same thing by accident? I mean, video games are kinda dumb about stuff like that, but I'm assuming real ATCs keep an eye on that sort of thing? I'm sure you aren't allowed to change runways will-nilly.

yeah real ATC wouldn't be ignoring wind, and even then there are rules about this stuff which can lead to pilots just rejecting a landing, which are probably not ideal for anyone involved.

I was on a flight a few weeks ago where the pilots had to reject a landing about ten seconds from wheels down due to gusty wind shear; they just hit max power and then put the nose up -- a 'uhhh, no. let's try that one again' situation. Wind is no joke no matter the plane, and I'd guess a Beech 18 would like it even less than a 737.

e: i'm actually not sure if it counts as a go-around or a rejected landing; they were flared but the wheels hadn't touched yet.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Icedude posted:

One thing I'm both disappointed and glad to see isn't modelled for Gibraltar in MSFS is the ground traffic. All road traffic in and out of Gibraltar goes across the runway, so cars and trucks have to cross in the window between planes. Also because you're going from UK traffic laws in Gibraltar to Spanish traffic laws, they all have to swap which side of the road they're driving on while crossing the runway too. I'm not surprised they didn't try to fit that in.

this sounds like an absolutely amazing opportunity for catastrophe. Incredible.

Also, I looked up that mining site you found and best I can tell it's a copper mine. Minas de Ríotinto, looks like. It's in between Seville and Lisbon and the satellite images look right, anyway. Quite a lot of history to that mine, too - while not continuously, there's evidence for several thousand years worth of mining activity in the area.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Yeah, it says something like "[tail number], you were not cleared to land, clear the runway." It's annoying. Someone in the flight sim thread said something like "no ATC is better than the stock AI ATC" and they're pretty much spot on.

are there any ATC mods or alternatives you can use to avoid this nonsense or is it just not worth the trouble? Like you say, ignoring ATC in real life gets you in deep trouble fast so it seems like an area they ought to do right or not at all in MSFS - yes, game, not sim, but I guess II'd rather have no ATC than one I'm ready to ignore on a moment's notice.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 8, 2023